Friday, November 14, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 3 Part 1.37

Act Three Scene 4 Part 1

The next morning, Desdemona took the walk with her lady in waiting to the row of shops. She was not there for the trinkets but to seek one that was not seen since that walk. She chanced on the tavern bar wench, who told her nothing that she did not know. She then saw the owner.

"Do you know where Centurion Cassio is lying?" Desdemona asked.

"If he did, then I would not know. I am a fool when it comes to lies." The owner imitated the stance of the clown with his hands held up.

"I meant where he may had put for the night." Desdemona was more specific in her words.

"My goodness. How would I know? If I did, I am not to tell. I won't even tell my wife where I want to sleep last night. She may be dead for over five years, but she followed me nightly." The owner imitate fright as if he seen his wife spirit.

Desdemona then moved her hand to the purse and passed up the coins.

"Ah! I did get her blessing that I could find another after five years. Yesterday was the last day of my imprisonment." The owner smiled with the weight of the coins in his hand. "My last sight of him was here, but he may come in any time."

"If you do see him, tell him his Legatus seek him." Desdemona dropped more coins. "And get yourself a wife. You are drooling over my bosom. And its not yours to suckle on."

"Ah! The shortcomings of life. I get only the sagging ones, while others snugged to the perky ones." But Desdemona was past listening to these lewd words. She had moved on with Emilia to the harbour. He saw her love at the distance. He did not come back last night after their short display of emotions.

"Othello, there you are." Desdemona called out to her love. Othello turned to look at her and pulled a smile. He did not go back after leaving Iago. He had taken a ride on his own into the night. She came up into his arms and by instinct he pulled them around her.

"Where were you last night?" Desdemona rubbed herself against him. "I only needed a rest, and not a long night of wait."

"I was called to looked at some fortifications. The tribesmen may not be gone as yet." Othello lied on that. There was no issue with the tribesmen; they had disbanded. That was what his Centurions told him when he met them at the guard points.

"Why are you here?" Othello asked her. He noted that her heart was beating and her hand was wet. It was from the body but it was seen by him before. "You are soaked."

"I was since last night. Only waiting for you." Desdemona replied.

Othello smiled; he had seen ladies who did that. They are either lonely or desperate. Or worse, too easy.

"You ought to go back and get changed." Othello tried to change the subject but she was working hard on him. He pushed her off and then walked towards Emilia.

"Take care of her." Othello told Emilia, but the later told him it was his love. He felt guilty and turned back to her.

"Come my love. Let us go back." Othello held onto his love once again. So strange was the feeling; a cold like feeling as if he was holding his enemy' arms.

"Yes, my love. I would show you my wetness." Desdemona whispered to him. "I would wet you all over."

Othello laughed, and wondered in his head, how many had she wet over. They were walking when she raised up the issue again.

"Othello, we had a discussion. Do you recall?" Desdemona asked him. Othello feigned ignorance, until she added the name to the discussion.

"Cassio." When Othello heard the name, his anger welled up again but he remembered Iago words.

"Okay, I will see him. But I have a meeting soon." Othello told her. "I am in need of my sash. Please give it to me. "

"The one you gave me?" Desdemona asked him back. "Why is it so important?"

"It was my father's given to him by his father." Othello told her. "I was told that my grandmother got a soothsayer to give her that. She weaved it from the rare silkworms that was their first spun of silk, then she said the chants that would give it the lover seal. That seal will secured the love of her love. She told my father who gave it to my mother. My mother gave it to me to give to my love. She weave the Legion crest on it. Don't ever forget that."

"I left it in the room. I will get it for you." Desdemona told him. She remembered last she left it at the dresser by the bedding.

"You must never lose it." Othello raised his voice.

"And you need not raised your voice." Desdemona replied in the same tone.

"Its my sash. I gave it to you for our love. If you lose it, you lose our love." Othello replied in anger.

"What is it with you? We are talking about a sash? An old sash and you are going crazier over it." Desdemona replied in anger. Then she looked away. " All I did was asked you come to back to be the man you were but then you went on about the sash of love?"

"Do you have it?" Othello asked back.

"No! If you do not believe me. Search me!" Desdemona pulled up the hem of her skirt and pulled it over her head. She stood there in the nude out in the open street. "Search me yourself. Or asked them. I don't care. Do you care?"

"My Lady!" Emilia ran forward to cover the lady. Othello stood there and shouted at his love.

"Are you crazy? This is not your whore room. This is the open street." Othello turned to see whoever was on the street.

"Othello, all I wanted to see you was about Cassio? But you never bothered to even listen. All you cared about is this Legion. What of this body?" Desdemona told him. "Do you want this so much? Then let me show them what other  Legatus want above all."

"This. Above all including friendship among your men. They like their whores more than anything else."

"No!" Othello looked away. "Leave me alone."

With that Othello walked off in rage.



Prologue 22

The owner of the tavern watched the scene outside at the street. He was amused at what was spoken. He had seen the sash, when it was displayed by the Centurion. He was joined by his wench of the bar.

"Glauco, what is happening out there?" Stella asked of the owner.


"A lover's tiff. Nothing that you would understand." Glauco told the bar wench.. He then walked to the rear of the tavern, and spoke to the stable boy. The stable boy took a horse and rode off. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...