Sunday, April 6, 2014

Preys & Predators II; Chessmen ( Rated Mature readers only ) 1.13

White Pawn


Chessmen.

That was the issue on my mind. I recalled the Chessmen, which I was involved. The killing like the previous, but there was something different. There was something wrong with the profile of the victims. I looked through them; trying to find the common link of the victims.

I found it; three patronized the same club. They were all members of the club named the Tempest. It was then I saw Simon walked in, and threw down his jacket.

“A fucked day! I got more murders per day, than ladies who would say yes to me.” Simon was clearly upset. I knew he had a lunch date, but that looked like it was going to go to waste.

“Steven Gates; young and handsome.” Simon threw me the mug shot of the victim. “The Police found his body in a trash bin, with a gunshot to his left eye.”

I looked at the mug shot.

If that was Steven Gates, then he had a twin named Brian Graden. He was Sylvia’ brother. I looked to Simon.

“Did you run the CODIS on him?”

“Yup, it’s all here.” Simon pushed the folder to me. “I am going for a cup of coffee.”

I perused the documents and ran my own checks on the system. The victim was Steven Gates, but I have been long enough in the Bureau to see through the maze they had created for the victim.

It all smelt of Witness Protection. Simon was then back with his coffee, and smiling. He must have met the new receptionist.

“Simon, I need to know how to contact the next of kins of Steven Gates.” I asked Simon. “Was there any inns who called?”

“I have tried, but the system posted a blank field.” Simon replied. “More to that, your supervisor is here. I met her at the coffee machine. She is looking for you.” 

If Marlene was here, then she must have known about Brian. I walked over to her desk in the Bureau assigned section. I work in the Detective section, as that’s where I could get information.

“Marlene, did you know that Brian was here?” I glared at the lady seated at the desk. She was ignoring me while checking her portable. She then looked up.

“Agent Darren. There is a need to display some courtesy when you addressed me.” Marlene was in one of her moods. I apologies and did the official greeting before I raised back my query.


“No, I did not know. We had lost touch with him since …Sylvia’ death.” Marlene replied. “Why do you ask?”

Damn! The lady could play poker anytime, but I was more a better one at that. I saw through her expression.

“You knew?” I questioned back. Marlene nodded.

“Only just before you stepped in.” Marlene pushed the computer screen to show me the same mug shot. “I was perusing the updates and found it. However, his death had nothing to do with your case. It’s probably a case of some drug offence or he was in the wrong place. ”

“No, he may be related. The Chessmen are back but someone is doing our job to remove them too.” I interjected back. “I had seen the victims. Not of them are done by the same killer. We are looking at two killers.” I told Marlene.

“Your task here is solving the serial murders.” Marlene reminded me. “So get out there and do it.”
 I took my leave, but she stopped me at the door.

“If Steven is involved, then find me his killer.” Marlene gave her order. I left the Precinct and took the cab to the Tempest. I used my ID to get in and was entertained by the owner by the name of Bruno. He told me nothing new but then I found something new.

Sylvia’ photo was on the wall behind the counter, next to the CCTV.

“Hey, Bruno. Who’s she?” I asked the bouncer cum owner.

Bruno stared at me and smiled.

“He’s my sister. So back off or prepare to lose more than your pecker.” I heard the man and backed off. It was too much of a coincidence.




No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...