Friday, April 18, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 1 Scene 1 Part 2.1

Act One Scene 1 Part 2

Iago followed his friend onto the paved streets of the Roman city, where with the setting sun, the people on it was rushing for their homes. Traders were closing their shops while taverns were lighting up their entrance in view of the evening patrons. They came upon the square facing the taverns, which Roderigo pondered on which to make his entrance.

"Stop there, Roderigo." Iago pulled at his friend's arm. They were dressed in their layered cloth that was made to a toga in design, but it was a relief to had the thicker cloth to protect them from the cold night. Roderigo had passed three taverns and decided on none. Nor did he stopped the whore houses which was his favourite after a warm bath. It was unlike him, which was why Iago stopped him.

"What ails you, my friend?" Iago asked. "I had the slave punished or you wanted to do it yourself."

"Unhand me, Iago. My heart bleeds in pain." Roderigo spoke up.

"Desdemona had been on and off you for days. I had hardly seen you despair one day and rejoice the next." Iago told him. " But had you seen her of late?"

"No, I had not. She does not want to see me, even though I had waited for her all night." Roderigo moaned his despair. "Desdemona, you are killing me."

Iago laughed out loud at his friend's anguish cries of love. He cut in front of his friend.

"If I tell you a sadder tale then would you joined me for a drink." Iago spoke to his friend. Roderigo pushed his friend aside to move towards the next tavern. He was soon to hear out his concern.

"Desdemona is getting married. She is...." Iago was stopped by the hands that grabbed his toga at the neckline.

"My Desdemona would not marry anyone but to me." Roderigo shouted to his friend. "If you are my friend, don't dampen my mood more than its where it reside now."

"Roderigo, would I played to your distress. I am telling you the truth. I know the husband to be." Iago looked to the skies. "Or husband of her's by now."

"Hold your tongue no more. If you tell the truth, then tell me the name of the man whom I would removed before he consummate his lust on my Desdemona." Roderigo called out in pain while he reached for the dagger he had hidden inside his toga. A weapon of stealth for the elites.

"Aha! You really want to know?" Iago taunt his friend. "You may not be his match."

"Say no more of my being, and tell me who is this being that would dare to snatch my love." Roderigo pushed his friend by the shoulder. "I am at the end of my patience."

"Okay, you forced me." Iago replied. He looked up to the skies and then to the ground. He smiled and then spoke.

"Desdemona is marrying the Legatus I served." Iago told him. "Othello, the one you knew."

"Othello?" Roderigo mumbled out in shock. "Please do not stoke the ashes of my fire. Pray tell me, the truth and nothing that would hurt me, please."

"I tell you the truth, Roderigo. I stand not to win anything if I would to lie to you. I had skipped his ceremony out of respect for you. I joined you in the bathhouse and you mocked me." Iago slumped down on his haunches but Roderigo pulled him up.

"Othello the one who is marrying my love. How dare he do it? I would have his hide for my settee." Roderigo shouted in pain but Iago laughed at him.

"You want to challenge Othello? You are not his equal, much less half of him." Iago told his friend. Roderigo pushed his friend as a sign of defiant. He point to the other.

"Mock me one more time, and we would called it off the friendship we had." Roderigo turned to walked away.

"Hold on!" Iago called to him. "We can still the consummation. Its still early."

Roderigo paused in his steps but he did not turned to look. His head looked down until Iago came forth to stand before him.

"Who do you think can stop the consummation? It cannot be me or you, but we can aid the one who could." Iago spoke to his friend but the solemn looking man was not keen to reply.

"Roderigo, we can called on her father. I know where they are staying." Iago whispered to his friend. Then he spoke up again loudly. "But he who fathered her represent her guardian till she is given away. He can stop it."

"You are mad and I am madder to believe in you. Do you know who is her father?" Iago paused but he then continued. "
Brabatio, the member of Senate."

"Whom I had once seek his approval to marry his daughter, but he had me removed from his hall." Roderigo explained his plight. "He said I am not the one he want as his relative. He wanted someone powerful; one with the influence in the Senate or hold the ears of the Emperor."

"I was not." Roderigo sighed. "I guess I am destined to lose my love."


"That's the not the point." Iago consoled his friend. "Do you think I would be standing here with you if I don't have a strategy to change the outcome of the battle."

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...