Saturday, April 12, 2014

Preys & Predators II; Chessmen ( Rated Mature readers only ) 1.16

Dark Queen

I got the look from Mrs. Treacher who stood before the desk I used for work. She saw me looking and nodded.

"Knight Billie went rogue and shot some off duty officers." Mrs. Treacher told me. "It was the kind of publicity we do not need. He was doing it for Virginia but he was hitting the wrong ones."

"Knight was a good piece, but he was close to her. Billie can be impulsive." I sighed. I liked Billie.

"Mrs. Treacher, I want you to dock all the remaining Knights. I need the operations suspended." I told my aide. It would mean a freeze on all orders for then. Soon I changed my mind.

"New instruction. I want you to run a new operation. You are going to do it personally." Mrs. Treacher was not only ex-military, she was a trained Rangers; marksman in her field. "Remove the team. I need to re-group. Marlene would sniff out the ops if we do not close the trails."

"But Marlene may not be on the trail..." Mrs. Treacher protested on the move.

"Mrs. Treacher, I knew Marlene Phillips. She would be on the trail." I replied. My portable rang; it was a buyer of mine. He was looking for some new organs.

"Sorry, Burke. I am on holiday. You need to go the eastern side for supplies." I told him, but his reply agitated me. "If you go behind my back to any other groups, all deals are off."

Then Burke told me something new. I replaced the portable.

"Mrs. Treacher, leave me. I need to speak to the Investors." They are the ones keeping me alive and operational.



White King

I walked to the basement to see Doctor Brady. I wanted to know more about the victims, and thought of seeing the remains myself. There in the Morgue, I saw the doctor at his work. I been in similar places, and nothing there surprised me. He was working on another body that just arrived.

"Doctor Brady, my name is ...." I was interrupted by the doctor who was using the long metal cutter to break open the ribs cage.

"Senior Agent Phillips." I was impressed by the doctor. He looked fine for his age; in his forties, and from his physique, must have been a football player before. Or at least with the firm body then covered in the scrubs fitted around his frame. I would have shaken his hand but he was armed like a crab then.

"I am here for the details on the dead bodies from the serial killings." I asked the doctor.

"Well, I am doing her." Doctor Brady looked to me. "It’s a lady. She was shot. Twice in the face.”

The doctor passed me the slugs.

“9mm. Very common nowadays.” Doctor Brady sighed. “Forensics would now more.”

It was then the assistant walked in. He handed over some reports to the doctor while the doctor asked me to hand over the slugs. I did as requested, and our faces met.

“Have I seen you before?” I asked the assistant. He smiled at me and shook his head.

“I been told I looked like a celebrity at the bars, but I doubt you would do that same line for me here.” We laughed at his mocking of me doing a pickup line. Soon he left, but the short time, I was with him made me search my mind for a face to match to him.

"Doctor Brady, I am needed at the other sections." I also made the excuse to leave and went upstairs. I went to the computer console and checked some old files. 'Operation Transplant' was the project which I shut down the organ transplant operation then. The Queen was one of the casualties but I was told there were some still at large; the Knight and a couple of Pawns.

Then I found the match. One of those Pawns was the one I saw at the Morgue. His name was Thomas Stern, or Tom. I was sure of it. I ran back to the Morgue and saw Doctor Brady there cleaning up.

"I am looking for Tom." I told the doctor.

"He just left the place. He asked for the day off."

I rushed off to the exit and then to the car park. I saw the van pulled off. I was to shout for reinforcement, but the van was past the corner. Then I saw Micheal pulling in on a cab.

"Did you see where the blue van went?" I shouted at Micheal but he was furious with me.

"I saw Sylvia. So tell me what you know."





No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...