Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 1 Scene 1 Part 2.3

Prologue 2

It was not the environment of the bathhouse that made the place chilly, but the presence of the Senate members; Brabatio, Lodovico and Gratiano made the place then. They were all seated in the warm water of the private pool in the room, facing their host, the merchant Roderigo. He had them invited to this place, where he had booked the lavish looking room with its waiting retinue of slaves, and a table laid with food that was within the definition of taste.

"Roderigo, you foul the room with the food." Brabatio told the host. "This is a bathhouse and its for baths."

The host looked to his honored guests, and noted that the food may be seen to foul the scene, but one of the three was gouging on the pheasant thigh with gusto. It was marinated in wine and then roasted over the fire with the sprinkling of more wine. A delicacy of the Persian he was advised.

"If its foul your smell, my Senator, then allowed me to have it removed from here." Roderigo motioned to the slaves to carry out the table.

"Leave the wine and pheasant." Lodovico, the cousin of Brabatio told the slaves. He was build with an enormous appetite; well displayed by his waistline where he could not see to his lower torso.

"Lodovico, you disappoint me." Brabatio told his glutton cousin. He then looked at the merchant, who was half his age, and had been a lapping dog of his daughter, Desdemona. He wondered why the merchant would sink to such low depths for the love juice of a woman, when he could had any with his wealth. Well, not any, but many. The wealth of the merchant was rather impressive, for even a Senator, but he lacked the influence that wealth may not overcome. A sad predicament of the man that faced him. Sadder still, that he pursue for the love of his daughter who had spurned his love on many occasions.

"I may not not be wealth laden in my treasury, but I have an assembly of friends who are of equal ranks as Senators. Together, we held some influence on the decisions made there." Those were the thoughts of Brabatio when he found himself to compared to the younger merchant.

"Tell me, Roderigo. As to what reason we are brought here? Are you caravans under any offence by the Legions, or your wares confiscated by the gatekeepers? Those we may help to assist." Brabatio moved away from the bulky cousin who was munching at his meal. One thing he disliked was fat oils in the bath.

"My honored Senators, my caravans are safe and so are my wares when they come in through the gates." Roderigo smiled at them. "Its to Senator Brabatio, I am here to seek his approval."

"And what approval can I offered? I sit in no committee of importance that would be of help to you." Brabatio told him off. "But if you seek the ..."

"Yes, Senator Brabatio. I would make my plea then to you. I would like to seek you approval to have Desdemona as my love." Roderigo went for the issue that was on his mind.

"Desdemona? She is old enough to decide herself." Brabatio replied. "I hold no bonds on whom she may marry. Although I could as her father."

"Strong willed like the father before..." Gratiano added to the father's words which Brabatio glared at his other cousin.

"Then its decided. I would ask Desdemona myself." Roderigo stood up from the water and bowed to the three senators.

"Hold your ..." Brabatio looked at the young merchant. He frown on what he was saw. "I am still her father. I hold the final say to her ....love."

"Aye...He said it." Gratiano lauded out loudly. Brabatio pushed his cousin to the side, and spoke to Roderigo.

"Of what that made you worthy of her, merchant?" Brabatio asked. "If its young children for me to hold, I had a few myself, although they are bastards who held not my name to theirs."

Gratiano laughed while Lodovico joined in when he heard the statement but the one who spoke was serious in tone. Brabatio continued on.

"Do you wield influence over some other Senators, other than the three of us? Do you whisper to the Emperor's ears or smelled his fart when he does that." Brabatio asked the younger merchant.

"Neither of those, Senator Brabatio. I have though is a cellar laden with coins, and a heart that flutter for your daughter's love." Roderigo replied.

"Then you are not suitable." Brabatio proceeded to stepped out of the pool, and was handed his towel. "I am not consenting to your union."

The other two senators also stepped out and followed suit their cousin of the room, leaving Roderigo to his own disbelief.

"I am rejected on that whim excuse of influence...." Roderigo muttered to himself. It was with wealth he had built an influence to know those three, and now they tell him that the next phase was more influence. How could he achieved those with the wealth he had. They are limited to the wide influence he could garner with it. He sighed.


"I am doomed. I am to lose her." Roderigo sighed louder. "But to whom would she go to?'

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...