Thursday, April 17, 2014

Preys & Predators II; Chessmen ( Rated Mature readers only ) 1.18

White Pawn

I stood in front of the old desk facing her. She had me dragged there and into his closed door for the briefing. I asked her again.

"Is Sylvia here?"

"She was placed under Witness Protection Program. You knew that too." Marlene replied. I knew that and with my level of authorization, I was unable to access the database. "I don't know where she was placed. Not until recently, when the local office recruited her brother. They did not know either."

I glared into Marlene' eyes.

"I need confirmation...." I shouted but Marlene intercepted my voice.

"You are here to investigate a serial murder. So get into it, Agent Darren." Marlene shouted back. "Do your job or leave your ID and gun."

It was a standoff between us. I chose the later. I left the ID and gun.

I walked out. I was going to look for Sylvia. I stormed out and decided to take a cab.

"Micheal. You need a lift." It was Simon in his car. "I know a place where we can some drinks. And information."

I nodded.

Soon I was with him, at an underground establishment. It was named a place where the adventurous strolled in. We took a quiet corner and watched the late afternoon crowd. It was slowly cramping in; business suits and casuals, with close proximity and lots of handling. The difference was it was all guys.

"Surprised?" Simon asked me. I looked at him; I was hopeless at reading faces. I did not know he was into this crowd.

"I had to pull up a front for the ladies, and the guys there. We are toughie, to the scums, so I act like one. Your inquiries got back to me. It’s a knitted community." Simon told me, and placed our order for drinks. "More to it, the best informants are here."

"Mickey, come on over." Simon motioned to a guy in the business suit. He looked like a banker, but Simon whispered to me, he run the bookies on this side of the city.


"Mickey, tell Micheal here about the Tempest." Simon told him. Then he looked at me. "He's new to the city and wanted to get into the action." 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...