Monday, January 6, 2014

The Dark Queen of White Part 1.3.1

3.

Alan leveled the sword he held at the chest of the other huntsman, while the other two also reacted by standing up. It was Helene who calmed the situation.

"Sit down, you oafs. Let the two men argued their point." Helene told them. "It’s not every day that you get to hear of the castle gossip on the Queen."

The two men stared at Helene, but she did look intimidating with the large meat chopper in her right hand. They sat down while Alan lowered his sword.

"I was with the King at Cecil. Tell me what I do not know." Alan looked at the old friend of his.

"Aye, you were. I was asked to take care of the castle like a freaking obedient dog then. It was the day I was promoted to Castellan; me the frigging warrior kept with leash to guard the home. And of his young wife." Lin replied. "I was distraught while seeing the lot of you all rode off for glory. It was then, the Queen approached me. She had been his Queen, for over three years, and yet no sire had been produced. She was sad at the efforts, and with him always to battle, she felt that soon she would not be able to bear any."

"King Egan had vast land to rule, and the errant Lords to quell of any mutiny. You ought to know of this; how many battles we fought for him over those mutinies. Once he almost died, and it was you who saved his life." Alan reminded Lin of the Battle at the River Dane. "You were his trusted friend since then."

"Aye, I was. So much, he told me the truth of himself. He was wounded in the groin at River Dane. He told me to silence the healer for fear the news would spread. He made me his trusted friend not to silence my voice too, but to father his children."

Lin related the tale to the shocked group who sat by the fireplace. It was the summer then, and Lord Moor of Dane had revolted against King Egan. The King then had just returned from one other battle in the lands, and was told of that. He stood up and looked to his weary guards.

"Advise me, my dear and trusted guards." King Egan looked to his guards. They are his best ones, and had ridden at his side in all his battles. They numbered fifty of them, and had ridden ahead of the fighting column of his personal two thousand guards. The other Lords had returned to their own castles with their army after the battle.

King Egan had hurried back to prepare for his wedding to the younger and beautiful Princess Evie, who he had won her hand by the truce signed with the father, Lord Falstof.

"Its summer now and the river are flooded while the paths are mud filled. I would suggest we delay to spring when the paths are easier to take." A bearded warrior with the deep etchings on his face, dressed still in his armor and his left thigh was wrapped with a cloth. His name was Toland, and had been a warrior for the previous King and then with the succeeding one.

"Toland, I may differ." Another warrior stepped up to voiced his opinion. "I said we fight now. The main column is still at the plains, and can be directed to River Dane. It would be a two day's march, if they do not face any flooded rivers."

King Egan looked to his guards. That last warrior was right; the main column could be diverted there by crossing the hill. A hill which need some climbing and much effort to move the caravans.

"My King, your mind must not be clouded by the wedding. We have to protect your land." The warrior who last spoke reminded the King.

"Yes, Minoan is right. We would fight Lord Moor." King Egan paraded off with his guards, and soon joined his main column. The battle at River Dane was not fought over a siege but on the open field. Lord Moor had some allies with him; Lord Killen and Baron Delton. They had assembled an army of three thousand on the field; with three hundred knights and the rest archers and pike men. On King Egan side was with a thousand guards; two hundred knights, and the rest archers with lesser pike men. Lord Moor rode up to meet King Egan.

"King Egan, I would expressed my disappointment, that your allies had ditched you. I however had mine with me. We outnumbered you and would suggest a truce. One that...." Lord Moor was interrupted by the King.

"Lord Moor, you talked too much." King Egan then turned to ride back to his own army. Lord Moor did the same, and the battle began.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...