Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Crusaders II Bets are places 7.2

1.          The cold land of Niflheim

Geraldine find herself standing in the cold snow of some forest area. The snow was almost up to her knees and the sun was hidden behind the clouds, or there was no sun there. The snow flakes on the tree branches are not freckles in the air but little ice pieces. All around her, including the tree trunks are coated in ice. Then she saw the giant approaching; a huge figure covered all in ice and holding what she was soon to learned the name; issgeisl, the preferred weapon of the Frost Giant.

She thought of running but the snow was too deep. She thought of her sai but reckon it was no use here. Then her thought came to the staff still held in her hand. She grabbed hold of the staff with both her hands and spread her legs to get ready for a fight.

"Aargh! Another Asgardian."The Frost Giant leaned down and looked closer at the young lady. "You lost yourself in battle or did you fall off a cliff?"

Her answer was a swinging staff into the giant's face. He did not see it coming nor did he expect the swing to hit him so hard. The giant was thrown against the nearest tree trunk by the blow and it rained ice sheets on his body.

"Who dares to hit Hval? I am the warrior of the Frost." The giant got up and took hold of his issgeisl; a long staff with  a length of two metres or more with a pointy blade, and cleaver like blade at the other end. The giant got up with ease on the snow covered surface and swing his long staff like a toothpick between the fingers.

Geraldine swung the staff hard down on the snow surface and a surprise registered on her face. The staff struck the ground and caused a vibration which shook the tree trunk making it drop more ice sheets.

"Aye! I am faced with a Valkyrie or are you Lady Sif?" Hval shook off the excessive ice off his back. "I fought both before but narry a bout I had been shown so much power."

"I am Geraldine Black of.... Earth. Who are you?" She held the staff upright at her side, and looked at the giant.

"Earth? Midgard?" Hval raised his hand to the forehead. "Lady, you are in the wrong ....world. This here's Niflheim. Much I regret to say it, although I am not dead. I was sent here by wizardly tricks. This here is the realm of Hela. We best be moving on. I know a safe place."

Hval' idea of a safe place was a icy den in the snow cliff. Its big enough to accommodate more than three person but one giant and one other. Hval crouched down and stepped in the far corner. He cleaned the area and suggested that Geraldine take refuge there.

"Its not so cold." Geraldine acknowledged and went in. "There are some left overs of the deer. Feel free to eat."

Geraldine declined and asked the giant of the land.

"This here's Niflheim; the last world among the nine world. We are the lowest on the Yggdrasil Tree. I was in my Clan Hall when the strong wind came. It was Hela herself and she asked for a warrior worthy to fight her champion, Kurse of the Dwarves. I took that challenged and fought with the dwarf for over three bouts with no results. Then I finally looked into his eyes; they are dead like the rest of Hela' entourage. It was then I lost my footing and Kurse had his blade at my head. I pleaded for my life and surrendered to him. Next thing I know I found myself here."
\
"Am I dead?" Hval asked Geraldine. "I don't think so. I did not die, so I must be alive. I been running since but I encountered no one. It looked like Niflheim is devoid of souls. I wondered where they gone to."

Suddenly Hval went silent and looked to the entrance of the den. He stayed unmoving but he kept staring outside. Geraldine move to speak to him but he motioned to her to keep still. They stopped and looked out of the den where the snow and ice are packing up at the entrance. Then a swift wind swept across the entrance and a dark figure was seen fleeting past. Both of them stayed down and breath in shallow pulls.

"It was Skoll; the wolf that ate the Sun. It roams this land to catch us. Its Hela' guard of the realm. She had allied herself with Fenrir to battle Odin. I heard of others but I have not seen them." Hval finally spoke up after the long silence.

"Hval, I need to see Odin." Geraldine asked of the Frost Giant. "Hela could be planning something bigger than what she can hold onto. Is he here in this land?"

Hval nodded and then asked; "Who are you? I mean the real you."

"I would tell you on the way to see Odin." Geraldine told him.  


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...