Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Tempest; Act 1, Scene 2 Part 2.1



Act 1, Scene 2 Part 2

Last night Paul Miller was to unveil the incident once more. He told her everything, his life as a mobster, and why her mother died. Miranda fled to her room and locked the door. She was not to see him but the thunder shook her. She had come running and then he told her that he was waiting for someone.

"Father, do I know that person?" Miranda asked her father. She may be a woman then, but in the last ten years she had only her father for company.

"Yes, they are the Nates." Paul told her.

When Miranda heard the names, she tightened her hold on her father. She heard of the Nates. They are the cause of her blindness. She does not want to meet the ones who destroyed her childhood.

"Why did you invite them here?" Miranda asked. It was only the day before the storm when she was told of his previous life. Paul Miller was a gangster, murderer and leader of a gang he called them his family. He was to shield it all from his wife then, Bernice and later Miranda. It was his own partner who attacked them that night and killed his wife.

He laid it out for her on her eighteenth birthday last night.

"Why now, Father? Why tell me now?"Miranda asked. "I asked you many times why was Mother killed. You always said; not yet my child. Not till you older. I am older now, and at the age when I am no more a child. Does that make you free to tell me now?"

She hated them for damaging her sight.

They took her mother from her. They shot her mother.

Because of them, she carried a gun.

One that was given to her by her father.

"Shoot to kill, Miranda." She was told. She did it once but she did not kill.

She hated all of it, including them.

She hated her father from calling them here.

"I do not want to see them, Father." Miranda pulled away from her father. "I would be in my room until they are gone."

"No, Miranda. You would be with me." Paul held onto his daughter's arms. "You would witnessed their downfall with me. They would pay for everything cursed on us for the last ten years."

"I had them brought here." Paul told his daughter. "They are to play chess with me."
"How so, father? Chess?" Miranda asked back. "You were always playing alone the game. Why now to invite them?"

"My child, the game I may had played alone, but I compete myself with myself. I was playing the game from my own moves, countering them as I moved the parts from the previous moves. But now, these invited guests would be chess pieces. They would play to safeguard their King which I am to take on."

"Father, how did you invite those guests? You were here and never once you left this place." Miranda told him. "The furthest you been was the estate grounds. Those were also rare and more often of late."

"Yes, Miranda. I had partake in the walks on the estate ground. I had the pleasure of meeting older acquaintances which were obliging." Paul looked to his daughter.

"It was Christopher with Gonzales. They came to me for apologies. I denied them all but in the end after several visits, I relented. I asked of them a favor. Bring me the person named Alan Nates. And all shall be forgiven." Paul declared. "Let no harm comes to him, but only mine would do his death. He must not know of the plan."

"We discussed the plans whenever I took the was to meet them. After several attempts, it was Gonzales who came up with the perfect plan. We planned the road closure and the diversion, and with Christopher' daughter wedding. We intentionally not send the invitation and knew Alan would bite on it." Paul laughed. "I was always the planner in the group. Alan was the fighter."

"Was the rain part of your plans too?" Miranda asked.

"No, that was God's gift. It could had been your mother's doing. She was close to God."

"So was myself. And we do not believe in vengeance. She weeps for you." Miranda pulled at the father's hands and walked to the doorway. She stopped there and then looked back.

"Father, on my mother's soul, you said you would protect me. You brought the ones who murdered my mother to this house. They may kill me this time." Miranda told him. "If that would to happen, then I prefer not to be your daughter anymore lest you renounce your pledge to mother on protecting me."

Miranda took to the doorway, but she found it closed on her by someone else from outside. She stopped there on the sound of the lock being applied on the door.

"Father, why am I locked here with you?" She listened hard to his breathing and then his movement. She knew that he was in the back of her. She also felt the movement of his body and asked of his intentions.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...