Thursday, October 17, 2013

D&C 2.II; Reunion or Reunited; it sucks sometimes

Reunion or reunited; it sucks sometimes


I got my bank statement send to the office so that I could previewed it first. If I let Jenny sees my statement, either of us may shoot the other with the gun. I am serious; she does not know how much I earned and spend. I liked it a secret pact between the bank and myself. But the system glitched and sent it over the house. I knew ( hey, I am a detective. ) when I saw the opened envelope. I picked it up and pocket it. I walked to the kitchen and saw the spread of dishes; lavish and delicious. Then I saw her stepping away from the oven with the apron ( she was not naked beneath it. ) over her favorite green dress.

That was it. She saw my bank statement. I knew she had a motive. They all do as criminals.

"Uncle Hubert coming over for dinner." Hubert? OMG, not that Hubert. He works off the shores of the icy lands, fished out snow crabs, and takes us dinner when he remembers every five years. That was his-story, then this year for some good reasons not disclosed to me, Uncle Hubert having dinner in my house. I guessed they ran of out crabs that year.

Crabs! She had baked crabs for him. Who wants to eat the crabs we get at the market place when he could had consumed his fresh without being refrigerated. She won't cooked me crabs, she cited me as too crabby at times but she cooked for him.

Damned!

"Uncle Hubert had just been discharged from the hospital. He was diagnosed with cancer and undergo treatment there for over three months. Het never told us so are to get worried on him. I got to know from Mum." Yup, Mum the snitch. I nodded and went to get freshen up. When I was putting on my fresh shirt, the portable rang. It was a 187 in downtown. I was asked to go there. It also said 'its personal.' I had to leave with Jenny fretting at my inconsiderate attitude. Later in downtown, I asked the uniformed what we have.

"Mob killing. One Benny Goodison laid for the mortuary with multiple shots on the chest." The uniformed imitated the Capone style of shooting with the Thompson.

"They missed his balls." I placed it plainly to the officer. "If it was me, I would do the balls first. Care for me to demonstrate now?"

The officer got my message loud and painful. Since my sarcasm went towards the officers', they had me nicknamed Jointed Balls instead of Jimmy Barnes since then. I was looking at the dead fellow when another officer roused me.

"Detective, it was me who called you." I saw the name, Russel. I looked at him. He continued on.

"We have another body." He motioned ahead near the alley. "Probably innocent bystander walking there. We found this on his wallet."

The item was my name card with the word; Jenny's arse-hole husband. I walked over to the second body. The arse-hole lying there was Uncle Hubert. He was lying there belly up.

"Your relative?" I looked at the officer and smiled.

"One less in-laws to contend with." I left the scene back for home. I am going to enjoy my crabs tonight. The next day at the morgue, I listened to Dan with his report.

"5.56 rounds. Ten on Benny Goodison, and three on Hubert Mitchum." Dan looked at me. "How did Jenny took it?"

"Okay, I guessed. I had finished up the crabs while she was looking at the doorway. Then I pretend to take a call before telling her. She was all teary but I did the dishes, and leftovers." I scratched my balls then as it was itching over there. I did see the rashes on the inner thigh. Probably nothing to concern on.

"With that amount of seafood, you are sure there are no allergies in the family." Dan asked me but his focus was on the bodies. I did not bother to reply but stood there listening to him speak to the dead.

"Possible machine gun...I would say M-14 perhaps, or any of those who fires 5.56. H&K, FAMAS, or even Minimi. Most NATO issued rifles fired that round." Dan concluded while removing the liver. He looked at it and smile. "No bullet marks."

"Dan, on Hubert..." I was to asked but Dan cut me off.

"I won't do him much. He was just the bystander." I nodded to Dan. At least he understood; I never liked the in-laws but their flesh would be equally tasteless. Back at my section, Goodison family came with their goons to claimed the body. They were led by their leader, Alfred Goodison; mob related, businessman, and drug pusher. I ignored them until Alfred walked up to my desk.

"Jimmy, I want Benny." The man threw down a wad of cash on my desk. "That ought to cleared off any bureau requirement."

I picked up the wad of money and threw it to Frank who had stepped in with two uniformed officers armed with Remington shotguns.

"For the widower fund." I told Frank. And then looked to Alfred. "Benny stays here until I say he can go home."

"Jimmy, you are going to regret this. We contribute a lot to your campaigns." Alfred turned to walk and then stopped. He looked back. "We Goodison know how to take care of their own."

I knew that vocal sound. He meant they are going to retaliate on someone. But whom was my concern. I left the goons to the uniformed and joined Di Angelo. I asked him on who would whack the Goodison.

"I knew the old man well; gun runner after the Nam war, then he did smuggling, but not drugs. He held he family well, but when he left, the two idiots took over. They do everything from drugs to trafficking of humans." Di Angelo voiced out. "I once took down Alfred but his dad bailed him out."

"Goodison....enemies?" I asked with my evil smile on the face.

"Ah....half a dozen on this side of the city." Di Angelo replied. "Recently I heard some European gangs. Over some dispute on missing shipments. They been some threats but the Goodison have more influence here."

Di Angelo may be retired, but he still had his network of informers. He does feed them on occasions. I got the names I wanted. I brought along some of my members of my gangs to stake the names, while I moved on the name on the top of the list. We met in a French Cafe.

"Armand here made good cappuccino." The man I was addressing was Claudio Bernard, the alleged leader of the French connection. He was also the importer of fine wine from that country to the city. His motto was 'nobody does it better than me.

"I knew Mr Goodison from some previous dealings, but he was not ...how would you placed the words; trustworthy? He was not." Claudio took a sip of his coffee when the phone rang. He listened to it and then leaned over. He whispered to me.

"Called off your men or are they protecting me?" I looked outside and saw the familiar car. When I moved to looked at him, Armand had pulled the metal plates over the windows. Within seconds, the shots were heard but they missed us due to the metal plates. After the shooting, I had my men rushing in with drawn guns, but Mr Claudio was still sipping his coffee.

"We have our intelligence. We are not the stupid boys from the continent." Claudio replied while getting up. He walked to the doorway. "We would do unto others what other do unto us."

I would had stopped him but Armand passed me the bill. That week, we had some killings on both sides, but no conviction. Everything was clean. Or appeared to be. I got the Commissioner on my back and Dan complained of too much work. I approached Alfred in his office with three body guards outside the door.

"Mr Goodison, could we discuss this war that is going on between..." Mr Goodison cut me off with a snarl bear look that was marked with his ancestry.

"I did not get my family involved in any war. Its the organized crime that was targeting me. I am just protecting my family." Alfred defended himself. I recount to him the number of deaths since Benny had mounted to twelve; mostly with the 5.56 rifle shooting.

"Did you said 5.56?" Alfred asked. I kept mum but Alfred knew something that he was not talking. I went back to my Precinct. I sat at the desk for three hours while thinking. I would done better with coffee which was why I left for Di Angelo.

"Di Angelo, talk to me." I voiced out after taking my first cup of coffee. I was into my second one, when I raised the question. Then another question.

"Does anyone you knew used 5.56 ammo?" I asked and the reply was more hilarious.

"Half the guns used in the military are 5.56 or 7.62...." I stopped Di Angelo. He smiled and then proceeded to feint the thinking process. Then he smiled.

"There was one whom I could tell you. He was known as the Gunman 5.56."

I ran back to the Precinct; at my age it was an effort. I ran the reports on the so called gunman. He was an independent contractor for his guns, and recently taken to starting his own business in the florist trade. He was supplying to some good clientele, and no convictions. I looked at the clients listing and found that they are dance clubs and some notable names involved in the social networks. I decided to visit the florist.

"I am a florist, Detective." The man known as the Gunman aka Harold Lane denied everything. I had to let him go. He walked outside of the Precinct and a car passing by splattered his body on the pavement with 5.56 ammo. They then threw out the M14-A1 from the car with Harold's prints on it. I checked out Harold's place later; it was trashed out and there was all his guns lined up in a row with the 5.56 ammo. There was a message; stick these instead of flowers at your grave.

I met up with Claudio at Armand's. Guess who was there/

"Detective, please meet my business colleague. Mr.Goodison, you know Detective Barnes." I looked at the vile man seated there.

"By reputation We are discussing the reunion of our business of importing in flowers. Rare ones, that only collectors want." I left the two of them to their discussion. I called off my men and sulked in the office. Some bad guys win most of the time.

I almost forgot.

"Hubert.... I meant Uncle Hubert was a ..." I looked at the assembled congregation of Jenny's kins. I picked up the prepared speech and read from it. Once I finished, I was pulled aside by Jenny.

"Did you get that from your office?" I nodded.

"Well, changed the script next time. He was not a team player and never chased crabs. He catches them. He was never married. He was single." I looked at Jenny.

"Well, he had some of those other qualities like old Joe." Joe died last month and I prepared the speech.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...