Monday, October 14, 2013

New Tales Came ....The Tempest hit on the 12th Oct 2013

Tempting was the word, I would used to describe when I was perusing Shakespeare. I never did read any of his plays ( the original layout ); but the simple to read version, yes, I did. Romeo and Juliet ( most readers would had ), King Lear ( I think I saw a comic adaption ), Hamlet ( ditto in the comic adaption ) and the Scottish Play ( should not mentioned the name; supposedly cursed.... ) on TV. The rest 'nay' until recently. I happened to stumble on that topic on one of Castle ( the TV series of the writer who fights real crimes ), and my fingers went strumming over the keyboard.

I did some synopsis looks and was intrigue by the Man and his works. Then I dabble in my mind the play, quoting some famous lines, and it all came to a vivid scene in my mind, and without much ado, I was at the keyboard. Then came my coffee and cookies ( essential to feed the brain then. ) and the flow of words came.

"There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed." Ernest Hemingway.

I believe so. For three weeks, I did that. In my spare time and in between my other time.

Hence, the Tempest was created.

Why the 1920's? Why the mob? Why the changes?

1920's was a challenging time; it was the end of the Great War, and turbulent times, with bad economics weather. I wanted that to contrast with the original Tempest, plus the tale was all reflective of those times; the mob scene, and the uncertainty. More to it, I like the Ford T Machine.

Paul Miller was the Mob, and so was his partner who turned on him. His wife died as a result of their actions, so was his daughter. She was taken from the world she saw to a world she could only dream. She used her other senses to see the world from then. She was also part of her father's character; hard and deceiving at times, but she had a softer side from her mother. She knew what love was all about.

Alan Nates was the misguided one, actually. He wanted control so that he could exert his influence but only then to quench his desire. But Brady took that to a different plateau; he shot the other man's wife and caused him to be the next leader. He held it long, with his wife at his side, but his influence overcame him when he brought up his son. Freddy Nates was not like his father, he was sensitive but events forced him to live a fake life. One that he regretted to his death.

Paul and Alan, bought suffered for their misgivings; but only of the child pulled through with new hope. A hope that only a Tempest could bring; fast and furious in its path, and leaving us to pick up the pieces after it. Some of us still had the pieces and continue with life, but some died with the pieces which they could not pieced back.

Please give your review back to me.

P.S. The next one in the database, pipping hot is Othello, still baking but shall be done soon.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...