Thursday, October 3, 2013

D&C 2.8; Hunting Season started Early

Hunting season started early


"The Remington Model 700 series of firearms are bolt-action rifles, centerfire bolt action. It is a manually operated bolt action with 2 forward dual-opposed lugs. The bolt face is recessed, fully enclosing the base of the cartridge, The extractor is a C-clip sitting within the bolt face. The ejector is a plunger on the bolt face actuated by a coil spring. The bolt is of 3-piece construction, brazed together; head, body and bolt handle. The receiver is milled from round cross-section steel. The cartridge used was the .300 Winchester Magnum weighing between 150–200 grains (9.7–13 g). Its known known for its accuracy for 1,000-yard (910 m) and 1,000-metre (1,100 yd) competitions. The shooter from our analysis must had been trained in the military or by us."

That was the SWAT leader giving us the lecture on the recent shooting in the city. We had reported seven shooting cases in the last three weeks, with all of it accountable for fatalities in the victim. The victims are died of head shot, and that was the trade marks of a professional.

"We were to have this information courtesy of the shooter who have graciously sent over the photos of the weapon on the firing spot." That was the Commissioner adding in his contribution. "All the shots taken was at least eight hundred yards in distance. In relative terms, the football field is 130 yards in length."

"150 yards, Commissioner." That was Rider; he was brought up in Canada before he came back. His partner, Gonzales hollered out 'touchdown' in support.

"Whatever, but we are not looking only at this shooter. We have another using what we knew was a cross bow with a 450grain bolt. We assumed the shooter was also trained professionally with an accuracy of 50 yards. The victims are shot with the chest or face."

"They are working together as a team. One stalks while the other cover the distance in the range. They are in the city now. They have hit sixteen victims in the seven shooting. Lets us not make it pass the twentieth marker."

The duo have been given a name; Bow and Gun by the Networks, with panic running high in the city. According to the FBI, they are in the vicinity of one mile radius, with twenty five blocks and a hundred shops with density of ten thousand population. We numbered a hundred over officers including FBI with another spared fifty officers from the other Precinct. The Commissioner signaled us off at 0900hrs, and I was given one of the apartment block; twenty five levels of housing units and five levels of carparks. I had twenty officers with me, but I was not in charge. The FBI agent was; Martin Caine.

"My dad was a fan of Micheal Caine." We all laughed as he does look like Micheal Caine. We all wore vest and carried Remington 500 or M14A1 if they were any. Gonzales bought his Remington 700; his hunting rifle. His reply was 'its not sanctioned but I liked to have equal chances'. His partner, Rider hollered out 'equal rights' in support before handling over the GI helmet.

"I got that from the Surplus Section." Rider explained. We were all in the mood, but that soon changed when we began the search.

I was given the carpark with five officers, two SWAT personnel with rifles.The place was still occupied with residents; we did not want to have a panic, but we were as discreet as possible. We wished people 'good morning' and smiled. It was on the third floor when we heard the call.

"Officer down." There was no sound of the shot. The bullet was fired with a suppressor on the rifle. It was a head shot. It was the seventh level by one of the apartment' window. It was Gonzales. He was dead when he hit the ground. The sniper picked him because he had a rifle like his.

"Caution, guys." We had just covered the first level of the carpark. I opened the door on the staircase when I remembered my training. I flung it open and held back. It helped me when the bolt hit the door.

"Bow's here!" I shouted and ducked down. I let the SWAT guy stepped past to test the door. We heard the sound of a bike screeching at high speed. Darned! I pushed myself out and saw the rider just exit to the ground level.

"Bow on the bike. Coming down." I heard shots and then more shots. I ran towards the ramp leading down.

"Officer down!" Damned, Bow was covered by Gun. I heard the call again, and then the fatalities went up two notches.

"Rider escaped." I heard the call. I had stopped running by then. My heart was screaming for oxygen. We later convened to discuss new strategies. The uniformed lost the rider on the streets with the morning traffic. The sniper could be found although they sealed the building. They believed he had escaped by the basement which was interconnected to two other buildings.

"We would continue on the search." The Commissioner spoke up. He had called in more officers and then stormed out.

It was another block; same height but this one had the carpark in the basement; all three levels. The first five levels were a mall. We went in force; this time with dogs. I was given the basement levels but I had ten officers that time. After searching for an hour, and near to lunch, we got the call.

"Officer down!" It happening again. And it was two blocks away. Bow and Gun was playing with us or hunting us instead of the other way. Same modus operandi. That time, we have three officers, but Bow may be wounded. It was lucky shot but Bow was bleeding. We took samples and had it sent to Dan.

The search was called off.

I met Dan on the result. He was seething with anger. He threw the folder down.

"They took my results. The samples too." Dan cursed at the FBI who had invaded his sanctum. He looked at the five dead officers. "If only there was one FBI there."

I knew the focus of his anger. But then he smiled.

"I got stashed away for my personal collection. I am waiting for the results." I always felt that Dan was too smart even for a coroner. The result soon came and we discuss the results.

"Jimmy, from the traces, Bow is going to need medical help."

We got a trace and decided to hunt the killers ourselves but I was no fool to go in with one other coroner. I got reinforcements. We planned the raid, and went over. The address was a house in the suburbs. There was myself, Frank, Di Angelo while Dan held the wheel, in case we need to escape. Like real fast.

We were all armed with our usual guns and vest plus our motivation; two glasses of scotch.

It was a standard house in the middle suburbs, single level with the backyard with the child pool. I took the front while Frank watched the back door. Di Angelo was my backup with the sawn off shotgun. Its illegal as claimed by him but what we were doing was illegal. I kicked, you got to be kidding. With my age, we knocked and asked to come in. No one responded so I tried the knob. It opened wide and I went in first while Di Angelo backed me up. I saw Frank coming in at the rear. We made known our identifications and searched the place. I found Bow in the bedroom; bleeding from the chest.

"Frank, call in Dan. He is needed." I hollered to Frank. While Dan took care of Bow, I called in for the Commissioner. Frank and Di Angelo left the scene before the uniforms arrived. Later, Dan left after he did the bandaging. I asked Bow some questions.

"Andy, we know of your brother. So tell me where can I find him." I looked to the young man who was the state champion on archery. I should had checked that information but who ever said the state champion would be a killer. His elder brother Steven was the state top shooter. It was their blood which triggered my suspicion. It was rare. I knew them as I was their fan. I knew them since they were young., Their father was a police officer too.

"Steven ...hurt too. I shot him to get him out. He won't leave but I made him. I shot him with the bow. It was the last bolt on it." Andy mumbled out. Then he slipped off into his unconsciousness. The room was swamped by more officers and it was time for me to leave. I bumped into Martin. He was furious.

"You could had told us. Are you trying to get Congressional medal by yourself?" I would had answered but the phone buzzed. They found Steven or rather he made himself known. Both Martin and myself rushed over.

Steven had holed himself on an iron bridge which spanned across the wide river. He had shot three innocent bystanders, before he was surrounded by the SWAT team. He had planned to be there, like his last stand. I asked Martin for a reprieve.

"Steven, its me. Jimmy. Can we talk?" I had approached the man on the bridge. He had holed himself in the SUV with all the windows shattered. I saw Steven sitting upright there with the rifle leaned across his lap. He was bleeding from the left shoulder.

"Its killing me. I can't shoot with the shoulder wound." He coughed out. "I don't know Andy shot me. We were supposed to go down like champions."

The brothers were without a medal for two years after three years of straight victories. It ate at them; it showed with several minor assault and battery. Then they went missing for three months, and the shootings started.

"We wanted to known as champions again. Our faces in the papers. We lived for that." Steven spoke up. He smiled. "Bow and Gun; we lived to that name. I loved it, The public loved it."

It was all about bravado for the brothers. All about fame that the Networks praised on them, and forgotten when they failed. They tried other things, but one too many minor charges does not warrant page one. They wanted more fame.

"I am sorry, Jimmy." Steven picked up the rifle and leveled it at me. "Make sure its Page One."

The shooters had no choice; it was standard instructions. Steven took two shots in the chest. He made it to Page One. So did Andy.

He died too.

So did myself. I died that day too.

I lost two friends whom I saw them grew older to die that way. They were too young to die like that.

It hurts deep.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...