Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Tweet..tweet... Purgatory in the works 04/08/21

 After a long delay despite the lockdown and the creative engine went into limbo, did feel like quitting it all, and I went into limbo myself until last month, I started on Dante IV: Purgatory ( done to Canto I-IX ), and at Dante V ( at Canto X-XV now ). The engine started and I am on the run. I found an old classic (silent movie) on Dante's Inferno from the 1920's circa; outstanding works which the Director tried to show the journey through Hell. It was on YOUTUBE. There were some works on INFERNO (reviews, comments, analysis, and other works of literature), but not much on PURGATORY. I had to search for it and tried to connect to the commentaries and findings. I have not done any for Dante's PARADISE but I will when I have done PURGATORY.

Doing a re-write on Dante's was not an easy task, given that the original works were in Latin, and dated way back when the readers then were different from today. There were translated works but there was a need to read the references to understand it. I had to improvise without failing the direction of the tale. And one other challenge was Dante used the Bible tales as the backdrop naturally as Heaven and Hell were the works in it. I had to alter that and come up with something new. 

And I hope it was done. Dante's Hell ( Dante I,II and III ) was closed to the original in the contents, but with some addon's of mine and the unprecedented ending there. Dante IV which was based on Purgatory took off from the end of Dante III, and it took on the trail of deviation from the original tale, with its own adaption and twists. 

One of my focuses in the re-write was the conversation between Dante and Virgil. It was my avenue to explain the happenings in the Canto, as if like a narrator explaining the scene. And I kept it comical at times to make the reading fun.

In Canto XIII of Purgatory, I did a Shakespearance adaption of Hamlet. The original was the conversation of two characters on their issues and their families and honor and what else was there, and I could not just use that for it was, as stated above here, may be irrelevant to the new readers. Like teaching Ballroom dancing to the HIP HOP crowd now. I sat there and read it many times, and saw the book on Shakespeare. I recalled Hamlet and used that plot in my write. When I do publish it, you will get to read it.

Meantime, the pandemic had moved closer to the communities; I used to read the number of infections, but of late, it was like who's who I know had it. And died from it. It's sad.

So above all, take care and stay safe. Cheers


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...