Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 5

 Mary, Our LandShip.

 

Author's Note: This is a tale of the first battle involving the British Made Tank in WW1.

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 



 

"Sargeant Luker, let us move in line with the others. I don't want today to be an embarrassment to the Company." The Lieutenant is giving his orders and I am his subordinate to follow them.

 

"Yes, Sir. Mary here would not disappoint us today, Sir. She is a fine lady in her best." My name is Sargeant Ian ‘Mac’ Luker of the 1st Tank Regiment, and this is our first battle since we came off the training ground last August. We numbered forty-nine of us; the new Mark 1 Landships as we named. But only thirty-two of us made it to the battlefield. The usual worries which have been a bane were the screws in the motor that caused one-third of us to stall or would not drive properly when it's needed. The Lieutenant and I have presented to the top Brass on the issue but we got is a 'would be looking into' attitude. But then we have the new thirty-two Mark 1. We named them all the Landslip and will be joining its maiden battle of Flers-Corselette in September 1916.

 

Mine is the beauty of the lot, and we in turn named her Mary for the beautiful waitress in the Tavern. She carries with her two 6 pounder guns in the sponson on the side and there are the two gunners of us with the Hotchkiss machine guns for any creeping up Huns. I am the right gears man while Private Mathew takes the left gearbox. There are altogether eight of us in this metal hull with the Lieutenant our Commander and Driver.

 

"Sargeant, tell the crew to suit up as we are given the green light," I replied my acknowledgment to the officer with the officer cap, while my crew all donned their tin hat helmets, goggles, and chain mail mask. We do have the gas mask for the officers like myself but the rest of the crew all make to do with the chain mail mask. The Lieutenant cranked up the gearbox and started up the engine.

“Mary’s farting here.” We all roared but soon the fart got to us in the tank. That's when it gets all hot and stuffy in there with an eight-man crew surrounded by machinery and ammo.

 

The Lieutenant hit the side of the hull with his spanner to tell me to work the gears so we can go forth. We don’t have any radios in the tank then. She was moving ever slow at her own pace. The officer has clanged on the left side for Mathew to move Mary to the left. I could not see outside but I did ask the machine gun crew to sight me on the other Mark 1's. I was not keen to ram into any of them outside but we had taken a bet that five more of our Landslip would be stalled behind.

 

“Percy stalled behind.” Right on there for me, I won my bet with Bert that I will make it to the line first.

 

Private Ian raised his finger to showed me five indeed are stalled behind.

 

That’s a worrying sign for that means we are five short on the battle. I raised my thumbs to affirm his counts. Five a lot of money for me then. It was all the betting rounds and I aimed to collect them. It’s for my Ma back at home.

 

The shelling had started but we are moving forth regardless. You can hear the sound of the cannons and then it was all silence before the shells hit the ground, or us.

 

“The tanks are fortified to protect you.” That was the officer’s talk but we knew then if a shell falls on us, we are dead in instant.

 

The ride was bumpy as we moved over barbed wires and shell holes on the ground. The officer clanging on the hull with intensity means we got to fire our guns soon. I looked at the gunners and their loaders while they carried the ammo to load onto the guns. The machine guns were shooting out there and my sight was blinded by the metal walls. I crawled over.

 

"What have you got?" I tapped on the gunner's shoulder who in turn swung over and smiled at me. He crocks his thumbs to signal me he was testing the guns.

 

‘Just checking if Mary will spit well.” I tapped him back on the shoulder to affirm his action.

 

Suddenly, Mary was rocked on her side by a nearby blast. Her engine stalled on the ground and we are all frantically trying to work the gears. The six-pounder was firing away while we forced the gears to work. I tried everything taught to us to move the gears but she won't be budged. In the end, I clasped my hands together for a prayer and then slammed the spanner hard on the gear locks. Then Mary moves her body over the uneven land.

 

"She is moving. Thank God. Lets us hunt the Huns now." By then the whole tank smelled of oil and smoke while everyone was coated with some form of grime.

 

Private Mathew was clinging onto the gun vent there for some fresh air. I can see the others were all suffering from the lack of fresh air but we will fight on. It's our duty as the landslip’s crew.

 

More blasting came around us and it was becoming more unbearable inside the lands. The officer slides down from his seat on the driver's section. He had been shot in the ear lobe by a Hun's sniper and needed medical attention.

 

“Cover for me. I got nicked on the ear.” I jumped into officer seat to steer the landship while he was been attended. It was my first view of the battle front.

 

I saw the barbed wires and obstacles placed by the Huns to stop us from going forth. I saw the Canadian soldiers cowering in the shell holes and looking for the next order, or breakthrough that they can be followed on. Poor lads were the Infantry and they are the front boys.

 

Bombs were dropped everywhere with both sides exchanging fires. There are still the men advancing despite the heavy fires from machine guns and howitzers. it's a crazy war. Then I saw the signals and it only means one thing.

 

"Gas!" I am frantically reaching for my mask for I had removed my helmet. I set in my mask and put back on the helmet. I looked back at the officer but no one was attending to him. I can't move either as without me guiding the landship we could end up in the trench. I saw then the officer quivered and then shake uncontrollably while the gas seeps into his body. I was at a loss on how to assist him but to turn back to my task as I directed the landship over the obstacles.

 

I saw the bomb coming at us and I clanged on the hull to get it to move to the right but it  was moving ever slow in the uneven terrain.

 

“Move your butt, Mary for God’s sake.” Then it had to happen.

 

The bomb scored a direct hit on the right side of the hull causing the loss of one sponson and three of my gunners were badly burned or scarred by the bomb fragments. There was a fire starting inside the hull now and it was starting to burn. It was going to spread to the ammo and drastic actions were needed.

 

“Abandon ship!” I had no choice but to give the order to abandon the landship.

 

My remaining crews crawled out into the no man's land and hid behind the landship. Of the eight of us, only three made it out including me. The three of us soon crawled into a shell hole and dug in with the rest of the other soldiers. A private handed me a rifle and smiled. When I took it from him, I just become an infantryman again. The whistle can be heard and it means to advance. I got up with the rest and ran forward. It's not the same as in the landship as this time I am exposed to gunfire without the thick amour to protect me.

 

But our advance was to stop short of the Hun's trenches and we then retreated to our line. I passed by Mary; now a burned-out husk and she is going to be left alone in this field for now. I reached back our trench and jumped in. I collected my remaining crew and tried to rejoin the Landship Company. I found it at the rear of our front line and I reported to the Commander.

 

"Sargeant, we lost today but there would be other days when we would win. Assemble a new crew and find yourself another landship. We are going in tomorrow." I saluted the Major and rounded up my new crews from the surviving ones.

 

Among the total of the thirty-two landship, twenty-five made some headway into the battle. Mary was one of the twenty-five but she did not come back with the rest.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...