Friday, August 13, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 12

 My Security Blanket

Author's Note: This is a tale of a calamity that hit a family at their home. It centers on a self-made blanket.

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

2120hr

I crawled my way in the dark to the window and looked out. I know it's hopeless but I am holding onto a thread of hope that help would come. It has been like three hours now and we are still stuck here. I am sure there would be some rescue parties by now but I don't see any at all. It is all dark outside and in some places, I can see the raging fires as they engulf some of the other houses. I moved back to the spot where I left Laurie with the only remaining item which we hold dear; the collage blanket. It was her's from her childhood and probably the only thing keeping her sane from this insanity that befell us.

 

Six hours ago

1500hr

I stepped out of the car and ran for the house in the rainstorm. It has not stopped raining since this morning and we were worried about the nearby river burst its banks again. The last time it did that, the whole area was flooded and we lost a lot of our personal belongings. But the flood then subsided very rapidly and we were about to rebuild our life again. Butt his time, I am not sure as both of us are out of work and the baby requires medical care. Laurie is doing some part-time to manage the expenses but we are behind on the mortgage and other commitments. She would not speak of asking from her parents and neither would myself. But Nancy, our love child is begging to be relieved of her pain and that is what tugging our hearts now.

 

"Laurie, I am back. I got the medicine she needs. Doctor Maggie was kind to dispense it to me without the Hospital's knowledge." I passed Laurie the extra bottle of medicine for our baby. She is relieved as she thought with the road closure and oncoming rains, we would be stuck without the medicine for Nancy. We used to have a spare bottle but times are tight now. Doctor Maggie, her doctor, and a friend have been extending to us some of her services on a personal basis.

 

Laurie took the bottle and moved back upstairs to the kid's room. I checked the downstairs door and made sure everything is lock and proper. We have moved the essentials upstairs but there is something which we cannot move at all. I hope our Insurance Premium covers those items. On my way back, I saw the river levels, and it's not inviting at all. The authorities had come for us to evacuate but we could do so. Nancy needs her machine and without that, she is going to suffer badly. I told the authorities we would take our chance with the oncoming flood if it happens. I then remembered the generator set which we bought sometime back. I hand-carried it upstairs and later the barrel of diesel for it. Its to be plugged in case of power failure.

 

Just as I thought of it, the power was shut off at the main.

 

"Mac!" It's Laurie panicking on the power shut off. I ran up the stairs and start the generator set. It would be able to power up the machines keeping our daughter alive. The set would run for at least eight hours and I hoped by then we would be relieved.

 

1812hr

The water level has reached our doorstep and the evacuation has started. I got the knock on my door and I answered the officer. I told him of my situation and he replied that he would come back to me in an hour. But there was little he could do as our daughter's life depends on the machine now.

 

"Mac, do you think Doctor Maggie could do more?" I shook my head as if I were to move Nancy, it would be a major job. But now it's too late. More to it, I cannot afford the cost of doing it. Medical expenses have been a drain on our funds including the reserves. "Please call Doctor Maggie."

 

I tried but no reply. Now we can only wait as the dusk steps in.

 

1909hr

Laurie took her old blanket from the cupboard to wrapped around her shoulder. I just completed my check on the flood level and it's about two feet high at the lower level. I snuggle up to Laurie and held her in my arms while she looked at our daughter on the bed with the machine keeping her alive.

 

"Do you think we made the right decision? I don't know who long I can sustain at this." Laurie held onto me as I have no answer to her question. To me, there was no right or wrong decision; but a decision was made to bring Nancy home. She can't be helped much at the hospital and we should move her back home. But maybe a miracle may come one day and she could be saved. But we are still praying and the current situation does not help at all.

 

It's getting dark and Laurie is holding onto me ever tightly. She tells me that this blanket was what she used to hold onto during those cold nights when she was alone. She would hide beneath it from the boogie man or the vampire that comes nightly to her room. She did one extra blanket for Nancy as she said each of them should have one. But her's would be shared with me for she needs my warmth in it.

 

2024hr

"Mac, her vital signs are dropping. Can you call Doctor Maggie?" I picked up the portable but there are no signals. I rushed out of the room and to the stairs. The flood water is almost midway through the stairs and it's still raining outside. I walked down and find my half immersed in the dark water. It's also cold and I had to climb back up again.

 

"Mac, she is slipping away. Oh, God. Please help her." I rushed back to Laurie and held her as we both watched the machine blimping away. It's not a good sign but if it would be fast, I am thankful she did not suffer as we do.

 

"Malcolm Kinsey!" I see the light shining on the window and then the voice. I ran over to the window and opened it. It's a small boat with some officers on both. I recognized one of them. It's Doctor Maggie. "Mac, we need to come in and get Nancy. Can you open your balcony door?"

 

I did and the Medical Team climbed in through the balcony door. They treated Nancy with some medicine and said that they are moving her back to the Hospital. They found a donor for her ailment. She could be saved.

 

2145hr

It's being an hour now since they took Nancy and we are still waiting for her news. The boat was too small for all of us and we stayed back. The only thing keeping us warm was the blanket. Laurie is holding onto Nancy's one as she felt she needed something of Nancy to hold on to. We have been praying for the safe recovery of our daughter since she was taken to the hospital by Doctor Maggie.

 

I got up and walked out of the room. I was surprised to find the water is receding and it may soon be over for us. I was joined by Laurie at the stairs and we sat there to watch the water recede.

 

The Next Day

1012hr

We were both sitting on the grass field looking down at our home which is now visible above the water levels. The level now is about six inches and still receding. We climbed up here to the small hill at the back of our house at about 0800hr and have been sitting here since then. The morning sun basked in our face was refreshing after one day of dark skies.

 

"Malcolm Kinsey?" I looked at the officer who was standing there. "There is a call from Doctor Maggie. Your daughter Nancy is fine. They just completed the transplant and she would be fine."

 

"Mac, I think it's time Nancy gets her blanket as she is going to need it for her night sleep." I nodded and took the blanket from Laurie's hand.

 

"Nancy needs also her warmth in the blanket which we can only give. Shall we walk there to see her now?"

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...