Saturday, August 21, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 15

 My extended Tale

 

Author's Note: It's all about winning at the game of Tiddy Wink

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

They say that it's not about winning the battle, it's about winning the war....who are "they", these all-knowing, all wise-purveyors of aphoristic wisdom? "They" have probably never been in a battle, never mind a war. "They", who dispense their wisdom freely to anyone who will listen, give that wisdom its value; if they can afford to give it away thus freely, what is it worth? But "They" will not hear this question, nor debate the obvious answer; subconsciously perhaps, unthinkingly, certainly, they are aware they have a 50-50 chance of being right, and that's good enough odds since they won't gamble anything more than their considered opinion on the outcome; it's not much to wager on such an important game of tiddlywinks!

 

"Major, you got your turn now. Show me how well you can lob your chip into the cup. I wager you the hostage if you win. Or you give me back all my previous hostages." I looked up at the pompous idiot who has ever don a uniform. Six hours ago, we were fighting a battle with real guns and ammunition. The tides of the battle favored my side but if not for his devious methods, he would not have landed the General and his staff into his hands. The equally idiotic General of my side had to take a leak while in the front. Now he is leaking between his legs as a gun is held to his head.

 

When we were told to negotiate the terms of release, I came up with his idea to settle the negotiation. This game has taken me more than an hour of playtime but it bought me two of the three hostages back to my side leaving only one last person, the insufferable General. I survey the game plan and then I stood up from the table.

 

"No, I think I would not wager on my hard wins. You can close the game now and we call it square." That took the General of mine to issue out words of profanities directed at me. But my opponent was taken aback by my action and pleaded for me to continue. I looked at my watch and ponder my decision. I walked to the table and re-looked at the strategy.

 

"OK, but only one last round. No more after this. We fight like a man again. Agreed?" The opponent of mine agreed. So I bend down my back to study the game. I took up the flipper and pressed on the chip. It flew up high and landed on the surprised opponent's face. He was distracted by it and so were his men. Then was the time, I took to grabbed hold of my General and issued the order. The men already in place on my previous arrangement barged in and shot the enemies dead including my opponent.

 

"Thank you, Major. That was a good rescue effort." The General thank me but I shook my head.

 

"I did aim for the cup but I seemed to have missed. Never mind, it's not the game that counts; it's winning the tournament that matters."

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...