Saturday, February 7, 2015

Loki Passage 19

Ragnarok

1.

“The bastard killed my brother.” Odin heard the warrior shouted out. He was chairing the seat of Justice for the Hall. In front of him was the assembled to hear the disputes among the warriors; of most were minor but the hearings of the last few seasons had the status of the cases to be major causes including fatal. Odin looked to the window outside. The winter season had come earlier than scheduled, and it had been the same for the last few years. He had consulted the Vizier but the later had been few in advise.

“I have heard enough.” Odin raised his voice. “I want you to compensate the other with supplies for the next three seasons.”

“Now all of you leave me.” Odin commanded to the assembled. He then stopped the Vizier from leaving.

“Vizier, tell not of any excuses. Tell me if Ragnorak is near?”

“Yes, my Lord. The signs are there.” The Vizier nodded. “The long winters and the dark days confirmed it….”

“Tell me in plainer words, Vizier. Do I prepare myself for Surtr?”

Surtr was a warrior of the Giants, and he was assigned to protect the land named Muspell. He was a great warrior of the Giant and held a flaming sword in his hands. He was believed to be the God of the Volcanoes. It was said in the myth that Surtr with his fiery fire would defeat all the Gods and burn the world with fire. It was said that when Ragnorak is upon them, Surtr will rise from the lava of the volcanoes and lead the sons of Muspell to raze the land. They will cross the bridge named Bifrost and then ride to the field of Vígríðr where the great battle of all battles will take place. It was there the wolf Fenrir and the Midgard Serpent will also arrive there. Loki would have arrived with all of Hel's people, Hrym, and all of the frost jötnar.

“It may be wise, my Lord.” Vizier replied. “I have news that Loki have escaped his bonds.”

“Loki escaped?” Odin was surprised. “How could he had done that when for periods he had stayed there. No one will dare to defy my command.”

“No one will dare openly but there others who may try.” The Vizier replied.

“Give me a name.” Odin spoke up.

“Lady Gullvieg.” The Vizier replied. “She had been the one who was defiant against you. She was the one who taught him the skills.”

“Then bring her to me.”  Odin commanded but the Vizier refused.

“I can’t bring her to you. She is protected by ….myself.” The Vizier replied. “She is my sister.”

“Vizier, how can this be? You of all among those I have trusted and now you tell me you have a hidden secret from me. How many more are there?”

“None now that Ragnarok is here.” The Vizier spoke before turning to leave.

“You may not leave, Vizier.” Odin shouted. “I am in need of allies now.”

The Vizier ignored his Lord and left by the door. Unknown to the Lord, Loki at that time was approaching his child who held the command there.

“Hel, it’s me Loki.” Loki looked to the lady seated on high back throne of Hel. The seat was decorated with the bones of the deceased while the flooring around it was scattered bones. The figure seated there was a full grown lady in a dark purple flowing gown over the red corset which held her feminine features to prominence. On her head was the tiara piece made from the fine polished bones that gave it look of a sun bursting effect.

“I am not amused with your visit but I know why you are here.” Hel replied. “Your army is ready. Follow me.”
Hel raised her right arm and motioned to the wall on the far right. On her cue, the wall there dissipated to reveal the scene behind it. It showed a large cavern where the columns of the army of dead were assembled. The columns counted into the hundred with each column reaching into thousands in the numbers. The assembled were all dressed in armor of various designs and weapons.

“There are one thousand over leader warriors, which you may not know them for they been dead for a long time. Most of them died in the formation of the realm even older than Odin. They will serve you well for they are mine.”

“Before that tell me why did you take so long to escape. You suffered for a long time. Why?”

“It’s simple, my child. Like you, patience serves you well with the assembled while I wait the right moment. I will serve my fate in the coming event.”


“Then serve me Thor’ soul upon his death.” Hel spoke up. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...