Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 5 Sub Scene 2

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Five

Sub Scene Two

Laertes storms the castle

“O, this is the poison of deep grief. It springs all from us, the King’s death. And then her father’s death, and now behold!” Gertrude moans her pain. “All that had happened comes around.”

“O Gertrude, Gertrude,” Claudius sighed at the lady’s emotion. “Let me arrange the facts. When sorrows arrived, they come not single spies, but in battalions. But in time, we will resolve it, and all will be well.”

Bad things may come in a stack at times; or was it Murphy who came visiting, and all went wrong at the same time?

“First, her father was slain.” Claudius did not mention the King.

“Next, your son is gone, and he most violent author of his own just remove; the people muddied, thick, and unwholesome in their thoughts and whispers for good Polonius’ death, and we have done but greenly in hugger-mugger to inter him.”

“We did not inter him. How could we when he was not to be found? We had searched for him but he was not to be found. The one who did him refuses to tell. How could we be …… I don’t care what the others may say, we know not of his body…as yet.” Gertrude snapped back. Claudius saw the pressure issues had taken their toll on Gertrude. He turns to look at Ophelia.

“Poor Ophelia. She is divided from herself and her fair judgment, without the which we are pictures or mere beasts.” Claudius sensed the lady was lost in her mind. “Last, and as much containing as all these, her brother is in secret come from France.”

Claudius had news of Laertes returning to seek the answer to his father’s whereabouts.

“Feeds on his wonder keeps himself in clouds,” Laertes had kept silent of his return. “And wants not buzzers to infect his ear with pestilent speeches of his father’s death, wherein necessity, of matter, beggared, will nothing stick our person to arraign.”

“In-ear and ear. O, my dear Gertrude, this, like to a murdering piece, in many places gives me superfluous death.” Rumors abound on the cause of death, but it pains Claudius, that he will much prefer death himself to stop it.

It was then the noise was heard from the courtyard.

“Alack, what noise is this?” Gertrude called out in distress. “Have we no peace anymore?”

“Where are my guards? Let them guard the door.” Claudius called out.

“My lord, we have some commotions at the courtyard. Do not worry. The guards are attending to it.” A loyal elderly servant rushed in and reported to the Emperor.

“It’s young Laertes, in a riotous head, challenging your officers. Laertes was with rabble who call him “lord,” of some were our own who turn to the other side. Not the servants of young but of old, who had served with the Great Chamberlain’ they leaned to know of the old man’s fate.”

“Alas, I am of their age, but won’t do such acts that will demean my loyalty here. Such as the world were now but to begin,” The servant who served the King and then the Emperor, lament on the attitude of the others.

“Antiquity forgot, custom not known, the ratifiers and props of every word, they cry “Choose we, Laertes shall be king!”. They care not for the tradition.”

“How cheerfully on the false trail they cry. This is counter, you false dogs! There is no fox here but a pair of hares.” Gertrude cried out. “If the King was …”

It was then Laertes walked in. He was followed by the loyal guards battling to hold the others not of the castle to come in. Laertes saw Claudius and then turned to his rabble.

“I pray you, give me leave. I am to speak to the Emperor and madam ….alone.”

“What of the Great Chamberlain? We need to bury him properly.” An old ally of the Great Chamberlain called out.

“We will, we will.” The others echoed the call.

“I thank you. I will seek the answer you want, as well as for me. Please keep to the door.” Laertes addressed the rabble.

The rabble exited followed by the guards who closed the door.

“We are alone now, my Emperor,” Laertes addressed Claudius by his status. “O, give me my father!”

“Calmly, good Laertes.” Gertrude addressed the young man. “He is…”

“I held not the drop of blood that’s calm proclaims me bastard, cries “cuckold” to my father, brands the harlot
Even here between the chaste unsmirchèd brow of my true mother.” Laertes spoke for he is the true son of the man whose body had not been seen as yet. Not a harlot born.

It was a stinging insult to Gertrude that Hamlet may be of one.

“What is the cause, Laertes, thy rebellion looks so giant-like?—” Claudius was upset. “Bringing in my servants in tow.”

“Spare him, Claudius. He is …” Gertrude tried to calm things down. “Your friends I had known. They were your father’s.”

Gertrude, approached Laertes to hold his arms lest he strikes at Claudius.

“Let him go, Gertrude. Do not fear our person. There’s such divinity doth hedge a king. That treason can but peep to what it would, Acts little of his will.” Claudius dismissed the lady of her concern. He is the Emperor, and will not be challenged by the others on his standing unless it’s a treason act

“Tell me, Laertes, why thou art thus incensed?” Claudius asked again before he looked at Gertrude. “Let him go, Gertrude. Now speak, man?”.

“Where is my father?” Laertes asked.

“Dead,” Claudius replied.

“But not by him, ” Gertrude said to Laertes. “He did not do it.”

“Let him demand his fill.” Claudius stood there defiantly.

“How came he dead? I’ll not be juggled with. To hell, allegiance! Vows, to the blackest devil!
Conscience and grace, to the profoundest pit! I dare damnation. To this point, I stand, That both the worlds I give to negligence, Let come what comes, only I’ll be avenged most thoroughly for my father.”

“Who shall stay you? Those…rabble out there?” Claudius asked.

“My will, not all the world. And for my means, I’ll husband them so well. They shall go far with little.” Laertes claimed his support from the loyal friends of his father. They will side with him for vengeance.

“Good Laertes,” Claudius looked to the door. “If you desire to know the certainty of your dear father, is ’t writ in your revenge. You will draw both friend and foe, winner and loser. There are sides to consider.”

“None but his enemies, my lord,” Laertes said. He cares not who is there, for he only wants the killer of his father.

“Will you know them, then?” Claudius asked.

“To his good friends thus wide I’ll open my arms and, like the kind life-rendering pelican, repast them with my blood.” Laertes had listened to the friends of his father and told him of the words they heard. He will believe them.

“Why, now you speak like a good child and a true gentleman, Laertes.” Claudius smiled at the young man. “I am your father’s friend too. Let me tell you that I am guiltless of your father’s death and am most sensibly in grief for it.”

A noise within: “Let her come in!”

“ How now, what noise is that?” Laertes turned to look at the door. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...