Monday, May 22, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 5 Interlude

 Act Five

Interlude

“Laertes, you need to listen.” Reynaldo had interrupted the practice bout on fencing with his partner. Laertes was distracted and the partner’s foil had made contact with his heart.

“Touche!’ The other called out. Laertes lowered his foil to accept the defeat.

“I have your heart, oui?” The duel partner of Laertes stepped up to him while removing the visor they wore for the bout.

“Yes, mon Cherie. You won it.” Laertes had a smile on his face when he removed his visor. “We will toast to that soon.”

“Sure, I will await you. You can always take your thrusts into me.” The partner then took off to the shower rooms. Laertes watched the curves of the lady who was his partner then. He may enjoy her other bouts but loathed to lose it in the fencing bout.

“Laertes, I bring….” Reynaldo approached his care. The foil blunted at the end was still a deadly weapon. It was leveled at the throat of the servant.

“I hope you have better reasons to make me lose my bout.” Laertes hissed out his anger. Reynaldo knew that Laertes took his fencing like his acting; fierce and striving for the masterful.

“It’s your father. The Great Chamberlain is dead. I …”

“When did this happen?” Laertes was shaken by the news. “He was well when I left him.”

“I know not much but the words that reached me said he was …murdered. His body not found.” Reynaldo said. “I have no …”

“What of Elsinore? No one told us yet?” Laertes asked.

“None, Sire. Nothing was conveyed.” Reynaldo shook his head. “I only got to know from my ….friends.”

“How can that be? My father is the Great Chamberlain.” Laertes was upset. “He deserves more than …”

“I have made arrangements for your return. You will…” Reynaldo was cut off by the other.

“Tell me what your friends said.”

“They…They said he was murdered by… Hamlet, who had disposed of the body without any burial rituals.”

“My sister, Ophelia?”

“I heard nothing of her.” Reynaldo lied then.

“I must go then. She will need me.” Laertes pulled at his training vest.

“Yes, Sire. I will let Madame Denise…” Reynaldo tried to take care of matters.

“Yes, please do. She is a mess.” Laertes had his use of the French lady; she was a good sponsor of his acts. “I trust you will not fail me.”

“Nay to that. I will wait for your return.” Reynaldo lied with his smile. He had lost his benefactor, the Great Chamberlain, and knew that what he was getting from Laertes was too small an amount to suit his needs. He was thinking of another master or mistress to serve.

Laertes exited the hall, while Reynaldo took to his next task. He donned the vest and visor. Some tasks are best not recognized by others. He approached the shower room and locked the door.

“Is that you, my dearie?” Madam Denise called out from the hot shower cubicle. “I am already here.”

Reynaldo discarded his pants and approached the cubicle. He saw the lady standing there with her back to him. He stood behind her and pushed her forward by the hips. He gave her no opportunity to look and had his way into her.

“Ah…Such force. I like it.” The lady moaned at the act. “Like a stud onto the mare.”

“You are so …” The lady was in her bouts of ecstasy. “Mon Dieu, you complete me.”

Not all tasks were about reporting but closer rapport may do the tasks better.

Laertes mind was on the trip back.

How and what could he do? His father murdered or was said to be. Could the servants be mistaken? What has not Ophelia sent news to him on that? Could she be hurt too? He cannot imagine Ophelia being hurt but the images of her in his mind were vividly lurid not of her death but unconsented acts upon her.

“Hamlet, you bastard. You are capable of beastly acts.” Laertes clasped his face with his hands. “Oh God, not him. It’s so …cruel. I love her. She is to be mine.”

“If it’s, I swear by my …. Sister’s soul, I will …castrate you before I kill you.” Laertes was enraged then.

If only he knew how Ophelia felt then.

“One petal for you, one for you.” Ophelia had sat by the willow tree plucking at the petals. She had done her garlands and there were the remaining flowers that were not used.

“The garland shaped to bind two into one.” Ophelia smiled. “Like two hearts held by it; the flowers form the bond. With it, the cupid may release its arrow into the hearts. The petals are the new souls that will come from the garland; ever aplenty.”

“Father, please forgive me. I do love him very much, madness and all. For too long have I waited, but not for long. I knew you disliked him, but he is my choice.” Ophelia sighed. “Many had said that you were killed by him, but I am unsure. Could it be you made him do it to deny me of my love? You think he is at wit's end with his father’s death, his mother wedded to another, and you denying us.”

“I had to …deny you too. I gave it all up to him. He was …good and it’s done.” Ophelia smiled. “I had done my sorrows for your demise, and now I am rejoicing in mine. Not of sorrow but of a new beginning.”

“Don’t be upset, father. You will soon see your grandchild.” Ophelia smiled. “It was destined for us.”

Ophelia picked up the garland of flowers. It was a pretty mix of red roses, yellow dandelions, and white lilacs. It was a unique combination with each flower having its meaning. The dandelions were like a lion’s mane; the crown of Hamlet, the white lilac was her with her virtue, and the red roses were like love; the blood she sacrificed for him.

“Aha, you are here too,” Ophelia called out. She saw then the water nymphs; dozens of them jumping and running on the surface of the brook.

“Well, hello to all of you.” Ophelia smiled. “I made a garland on my love. Is it lovely?”

“The garland must reach the high branch.” Ophelia heard the call from the water nymphs.

“So, shall it be.” Ophelia carried the garland and climbed the willow tree. It was difficult but she managed with the water nymphs who pushed or pulled her up. She reached the top branch and sat there.

“Is this high enough?” Ophelia asked the water nymphs. It was then she slipped and fell into the brook. She lay there on the water's surface still holding the garland over her belly.

“I must not damage it. It’s our love.” Ophelia held the garland above the water. The water nymphs surrounded her and sang lullabies to her. She sang along, unaware of her slipping deep into the muddy bottom. All she felt then was comfort. She was cuddled by the warmth of her love.

“I am coming to see you, Hamlet.” Ophelia closed her eyes.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...