Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 6 Sub Scene 2

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Six

Sub Scene Two

England was not peaceful

Hamlet sat in the front passenger seat of the coal-driven engine of the four-wheel car; as they named it then. He had sat in the American Model T; the car that every family could afford if they hold enough money to buy it. That one driven from the English port was not entirely a Model T but modified to run coal which was abundant in the isle.

“It ain't as smooth but the coal cheaper.” The driver who picked up Hamlet told him. His name was Harold, dressed in the grey overall, and wore a battle iron hat from the isle army; I served at Somme and wore goggles over his eyes.

“I called her Connie, after my missus. She weighs a ton like this car.” Harold won’t stop talking while driving Hamlet. He was in the second car, behind the one where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sat with two other English men. The other two Englishmen were dressed in tweeds and had on bowler hats.

Hamlet was met at the port by the two cars and whisked off immediately.

“The words were you are a Prince. I had not driven on before, besides a toff I once drove, who had his nose covered the whole trip and paid me miserably. Coal ain’t the smell of daisies, but she is ours.” Harold kept on the one-sided conversation. The drive went through the cobbled street in the villages, sacred to half the others, and woke up more of the late risers.

“If it was during my days, my paddy would have thrown me out of the barn for sleeping this late.” Harold was raised at the farm with the sows and cows and slept in the barn most nights.

It was by a long country road when the farm truck weighing more than the car, slammed into them, and send Connie into the ditch. Hamlet was thrown out at the side and landed on the sodden soil. He looked to Harold who was stuck behind the steering wheel and bloodied from head to shoulders. He heard gunshots then.

“It’s those bloody highway robbers.” One of the Englishmen called out. “They are the bane of the road.”

“Bloody good it will do to them.” The other English bloke had a revolver in his right hand and was firing at the bushes by the roadside.

“Can we take off now?” Rosencrantz asked.

“Boody well, but what if your Prince?” The English bloke asked back. “He is the reason we are here.”

“Let him be. The others will finish him off for all I cared.” Guildenstern was upset. “We were not tasked to take bullets for him.”

“It’s your neck on the noose, mate.” The English bloke told Guildenstern. “We will leave now.”

“Shoot a few rounds into the rear seat. That will finish him or not, wounded him fatally.” Guildenstern told the other. “I will tell the Emperor, his son died valiantly.”

The English bloke did as he was told, and then took off in their car. Hamlet still on the side, was wounded by the fall out of the car. He found himself surrounded by four rowdy-looking chaps holding pitchforks and scythes.

“If he is the Prince, I will be darned by my mother’s luck for charm,” One of the chaps said. “Let’s check his bags.”

“Issac, do not swear on your mother or I will clogger you from here to the farm.” Another cautioned the earlier one.

“Ouch, Pa. All I said…” The earlier one protested.

“Miff your mouth, Son. We got work to do.” The four blokes ignored Hamlet and took to the belongings from the car. Hamlet crawled to the side and watched them rummage through his bags.

“Lots of books. Do you read, Pa?” A younger one asked the elderly man.

“Not so much. Your mama read to me then. I just work with my hands.” The elderly man replied.

“Pa, what is … FANNY …HILL? I know of Daisy’s fanny though? Will mum read that to me?” Another one picked up the book to show his father.

“I thought you could not read?” The one that was quiet all along finally voiced out.

“Ma did teach me some words. She said it was polite to learn some. I learned the others from Uncle Jack.” The other replied. “Uncle Jack knew a lot of words. He told me of the Spanish flies; have not seen any. And the flies taste ….bitter.”

“You stayed away from Uncle Jack. He is loony. The last war cracked his skull.” The one we all knew as Pa cautioned his sons. “Let us get into the value items and leave. Pitchforks are not good against guns.”

“Pitchforks are the demon’s weapon, Pa, and they work well for them:” The learned one told his Pa.

“Get your asses into the works, or it will be my fork into your fault.” Pa at tethers with his patience. They soon left with the items of value, and Hamlet was alone. He was hurt but managed to pull himself further from the car to the road. He lay there waiting for help before he slipped into unconsciousness.

 Hamlet woke up to someone rummaging through his pockets.

“Hey!” Hamlet called out weakly. The hands left his pocket. “No, wait. I need help. I can pay you …handsomely. I am the Prince of Norway.”

“By gosh, I am the Prince of Persia.” The other said. “And it’s bigger than Norway.”

“Would this help?” Hamlet dug out some currencies from his hidden pocket in the vest.

“I loved Norwegian fishes.” That was how Hamlet was saved by the gentleman who took him to be nursed and helped him prepare some letters.

“His name is Horatio. See him and you will be paid.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...