Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 6 Sub Scene 1

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Six

Sub Scene One

Letters to Horatio

Horatio had walked to the courtyard to gather his wits. He felt suffocated in the castle. It was different when he returned after having been with Hamlet for some years; when the young one was able to function independently, Horatio was called back to the service of Elsinore Castle.

“Welcome back, Horatio. I am glad that your time with young Hamlet was good.” The King then praised Horatio. “So were your reports to me. He is growing fine, independent of his mother but surely better on his own.”

“I am glad to be of service, my King. Now may I retire to my father’s work now that he is no more in service. He was maintaining the gardens. He was always digging holes in the ground.” Horatio had learned of his father's demise when he was away, but he was not allowed to return. The young Hamlet was still under his care.

“I am ever sorry, Horatio that you could not be here for your father’s funeral but we took care of it well. He rested well now in Heaven.” King Hamlet had assured the son. “As for you, I have a new task for you.”

“I am now the King and with my ascension, I hold some rivals. I need good men to be at my side, and protect me.” The King plotted his words for Horatio. “You can be one of them. I need trustworthy guards, and above all, unafraid of any adversaries. You are not alone. I have others who will be you. Marcellus, your twin is one with me as a guard.”

“Who do you fear, my King?” Horatio asked. I think the King is but a man, as I am. The violet smells to him as it doth to me. The element shows to him as it doth to me. All his senses have but human conditions. His ceremonies laid by, in his nakedness, he appears but a man.” (King Henry in Henry V (4.1.105)) The King confessed his concern.

“In my career, I have been threatened and …abused, but no more. Now I am the King and all should bow toward me, though some may not. It’s the latter, I feared for they are not any raving member of the audience, but of more deadly means. I had been assaulted before.”

“So, you need guards. I can do that.” Horatio said. “I did my training in the army but the war ended.”

“And I asked of you this. ‘Master, go on, and I will follow thee To the last gasp with truth and loyalty. ‘Act 2 Scene 3, Shakespeare ‘As you like it’ play.” King Hamlet drew on Horatio’s oath.

“You will have it, my King.” Horatio bowed to the King.

“You will do fine, Horatio. Did your brother share his task with you before?”

“Marcellus did not tell me much of his task.” Horatio shook his head. It was fine for a while, until the day, he was asked to bury a body.

“How did the guy become dead? He was with the King just now.” Horatio asked. He was with his twin brother and Barnado. They had driven the body to the forest.

“He died then. We will just bury him.” Barnado had taken the shovel from the car. “We are not doctors.”

“He was fine just now.” Horatio was curious.

“Never ask. Just do the digging like me.” Marcellus took a shovel himself, and begin digging. It was the rare occasion that Horatio had to bury the dead, but he did lend his fists to others. Soon, he will be learned that whatever happens in Norway remains in Norway. There the King called the command. Horatio learned not to question. He once heard young Hamlet rehearse the play and these words struck him. “I am in blood / Stepped in so far” Macbeth Act 3 Scene 4.

“Horatio, sir.” The young servant had interrupted Horatio at his thoughts. “There are some gentlemen to see you.”

“What are they that would speak with me?” Horatio hardly had any guests at the castle.

“Far-flung travelers across the channel I believe, sir. They say they have letters for you.” The servant explains. “I knew from their way of speaking.”

“Let them come in.” The servant turned to leave.

“I do not know from what part of the world I should be greeted, if not from Lord Hamlet,” Horatio muttered.

“God bless you, Sire.” It was then Horatio met his guest. It was a man dressed in tweeds and holding a bowler in his hands.

“Let Him bless thee too,” Horatio said.

“He shall, sir, a ’t pleases Him. Pardon me, Sire. I have not been to a castle yet. A huge place it seems. Life at the docks does not give you anything bigger than the stores or the steamers that come a-calling. Me, a port worker; the ship’s cargo and the nearby taverns my daily chores.”

“I heard you have letters for me.” Horatio knew the tone of these men; they were simple folks with the need for coins. “I will reward you for that.”

The coins were exchanged for the letters. And some added for the trouble.

“There’s a letter for you, Sire. It came from the young ambassador that was bound for England; he should be having taken the smoke land ship, and …”

“How is he?” Horatio asked.

“He is well; slightly banged up but recovering.” The guest smiled.

“My goodness, please tell.” Horatio was concerned.

“He… he told me to tell only —if your name is Horatio, as I am let to know it is.” The man looked at Horatio.

“I am Horatio.” Horatio handed more coins.  

“He was on the street when I met him. I had taken him in and cared for him. He was not hurt badly but could not move much.” More coins were given. “He then took to write the letters and gave me passage to here. Nice castle/”

Nicer was the weight of coins.

“You got the letter and I am to go. There is a trawler awaiting me at the docks tomorrow. Have you any passage I can rely on to get there on time? But can wee’ have a drink to quench the thirst.”

Horatio arranged the kitchen to feed the man. He then read the letter addressed to him.

"Horatio, when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these other letters to the Emperor. The letters are for him. Ere we were two days old at sea, a pirate of very warlike appointment gave us chase. Finding ourselves too slow of sail, we put on a compelled valor, and in the grapple, I boarded them.” Horatio smiled. He had known Hamlet since young; always fancy himself a swashbuckling pirate to swing on the ropes.

“On the instant, they got clear of our ship; so I alone became their prisoner. They have dealt with me like thieves of mercy, but they knew what they did: I am to do a good turn for them.” Horatio was baffled. Hamlet was captured and in turn, do some good to his captors.

“Let the Emperor have the letters I have sent, and repair thou to me with as much speed as thou wouldst fly death. I have words to speak in thine ear will make thee dumb; yet are they much too light for the bore of the matter.”

“These good fellows will bring thee where I am. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hold their course for England; of them, I have much to tell thee.”

“Farewell. He that thou knowest thine,”

“Hamlet."

‘Thine’ was the code word of Hamlet with Horatio when he meant ‘come to see me alone’.

“Come, I will give you way for these your letters, and do ’t the speedier that you may direct me to him from whom you brought them.” Horatio seeks the man in the kitchen.

“I have not finished my drink.” The man protested but Horatio was more persuasive than the pint of ale.

They exit.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...