Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 7 Sub Scene 1

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Seven

Sub Scene One

Persuasion of the persuasive

Acting is to deliver the character's personality to the audience. It needs persuading most times. The better ones learned this as their skill. Grossly, it may take the form of seduction. Just as in writing here.

Claudius offered the glass of wine to Laertes when they were seated in the main library in the castle. There were four libraries in the castle, but the one where they were seated was the biggest, and filled with a huge collection of playwrights, both ancient and new to the unpublished ones. The King was always approached by aspiring playwrights to review and if possible to take up their plays. Most times, these playwrights get the attention of the aide of the Great Chamberlain who will receive them. However, the Great Chamberlain was an earnest reader of writes and never fails to peruse them.

Or snatched some ideas from some of the better ones.

“Behold, Laertes. Your father’s domain is here. His writes are among the greats here.” Claudius praised the dead man. “Most times, I find him perched on the rails there, reading and thinking.”

“The Great Chamberlain was ever the man you look for in the write. His words could bring the bird to your hands, or the dead to turn in their grave.”

“Pardon me there. He was such an inspiration.” Claudius played his words.

“My emperor, I am …I do understand my father well though I was away most times.” Laertes was an actor. “You need not …patronize him.”

“No, I was not. I was telling you the truth as a …. Personal close friend. Now must your conscience hold my acquittance seal, and you must put me in your heart for a friend too.” Claudius look with care toward Laertes. The latter is an actor, and he hid his real emotions well.

“Sith you have heard and with a knowing ear, that he which hath your noble father slain”, Claudius paused his words. He did it to emphasize the next line. “Now he pursued my life. Accusing me of …murder.”

“It well appears. I had heard from the …learned friends.” Laertes was careful to reveal his friends. At that moment, he trusts no one from Norway. “But tell me why you proceeded not against these feats?”

“So, criminal and so capital in nature, as by your safety, greatness, wisdom, all things else, you mainly were stirred up.” Laertes also knows that Claudius had not acted on it.

“O, for two special reasons”, Claudius looked away. “Not many knew of my predicament which may to you perhaps seem much unsinewed.”

“But yet to me, they’re strong to counter alone.” Claudius drew on the sympathy that he faced obstacles.

“The Madam, his mother lives almost by his looks”, Claudius dragged his words there. He knew Laertes did not have his mother with him when growing up. He was weaned off early but she still yearn for him. As for myself….”

“She is so conjunctive to my life and soul. I had known her long, and during her days with the King, but we are two personalities in nature. Like how the star moves not but in his sphere, I could not but by her.” Claudius tried to frame his relationship as complicated.

“The other motive why to a public count I might not go to is the great love the general gender bear for Hamlet. He is the Prince, adored and loved whose dips all his faults in their affection, work like the spring that turneth wood to stone, convert his gyves to graces, so that my arrows, too slightly timbered for so loud a wind, would have reverted to my bow again, but not where I have aimed them.” It was Claudius' words to make him the underdog in the competition for love there.

“It’s like Brutus’ speech to his audience. Good and noble reasons to kill Caesar for the Emperor was too ambitious and he would enslave the Romans if he lived.” Laertes confront Claudius. “But your lack of action caused me a father and maybe even my sister.”

“I will stand to it. I will have my vengeance.” Laertes dismissed Claudius' lack of action.

“Break not your nights of sleep for that. You must not think that we are made of stuff so flat and dull that we can let our beard be shaken with danger.” Claudius is agitated being told of his restraints for Hamlet. “I am my man, and unafraid. Place your trust in me. You shortly shall hear more.”

“I hope.” Laertes unconvinced of Claudius words.

“I loved your father, and we love ourselves well. It hurts me so unimaginable to lose him in such a fashion, my action will be seen.” Claudius sighed then. “Any form of death was imaginable but never that.”

“Bear with me, and think wide and deep, let your imagination unrestraint…” Claudius looked for the explanation to give to Laertes, but he was unsure of how to invite time and an open mind.

It was that he was saved by the servant. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...