Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 7 Sub Scene 3

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Seven

Sub Scene Three

The foul deed planned

“No place indeed should murder sanctuaries; revenge should have no bounds,” Claudius said well. He had differentiated murder from revenge. One is an act to take a life, and the other was to offer redemption to the death whose life was taken.

“There was a play recently here in the castle.” Claudius told Laertes.

“I heard. Ophelia was there.” Laertes knew of the play.

“A mockery of our art. It was by those amateurs who were given the script by  Hamlet. He made a mockery also of the great play. He made it so … scandalous. It would seem that the King was killed as assumed by many based on the malicious play  by a person that resembled me.” Claudius drew on the pained expression; an act he had perfected as Brutus.

“I for one loved the King. I was his companion when we were younger. I took him for my brother.” Claudius looked into his repertoire of words. “Before I loved thee as a brother, John, But now, I do respect thee as my soul.

“Henry IV, Part 1, Act 5 Scene 4.” Laertes nodded.

“I was to the King, yet he …mock me with those words. I had known the King for many years; it was not an easy journey to be at the top. We were …. Unknowingly, or forced to some foul deeds that could have warranted revenge from his victims but it may not have taken place, thankfully or due to several factors; the inability to do it, or the payment of wealth to offset the desire like in the case of Fortinbras; wounded to be bed stricken, his vengeance was offset by the ducats paid to his son who in turn took it to war with the Polacks.”

“Yes, I heard. A costly price for two streets.” Laertes nodded.

“It’s the way today? Not everyone tolerated …other peers like your father had then. If your father was around, he would have met both and carved a truce but the Great Chamberlian exists no more.” Claudius added praise to the dead man.

“Will the Polacks turn to vengeance; it may happen out of desperation or when the means were available remains to be seen.” Claudius sighed. “Revenge should have no bounds.”

“I agreed,” Laertes concluded the needed action.

“But, good Laertes,” Claudius looked Laertes. “Will you do this? Vengeance is …personal.”

“For vengeance?” Laertes replied. “Ues.”

“Let us …plan. It must be …scripted like the play. Your role, mine, and the others'.” Claudius smiled.

“When Hamlet, returned, shall know you are home too. It will be a grand feast to welcome his safe return. His mother will insist.” Claudius gave out his plan. “We’ll put on those who shall praise your excellence and set a double varnish on the fame.”

“The Frenchman; an associate of mine will be there. He is a fencing judge himself. And a man of the dice. I will place a wager on your heads for a bout of skills with the foil, and he is the judge. He will take the foil, arranged by me for the bout. He, being remiss, most generous, and free in his drinks, may not peruse the foil, so that with ease, or with a little shuffling, you may choose a sword unabated, and in a pass of practice requite Hamlet for your father.” A lengthy explanation of the plan he had in mind to use Laertes as the vengeful son, of his adopted son.

“An unabated foil is blunt at the tip,” Laertes said. “You …”

“It will be done. Hamlet will hold that while you will get the sharpened end to the bout. With your skills and moves, I am sure your foil will stuck at Hamlet mortally. My Frenchman will judge it as an accident or a mishap of the bout. You will gain your vengeance then.” Claudius explained.

“For your father, for Ophelia, and for …Norway.”

“I will do ’t,”Laertes smiled. “And for that purpose, I’ll anoint my sword added. I bought an unction of a potion. 
So mortal that, but dip a knife in it, where it draws blood no cataplasm so rare, collected from all simples that have virtue under the moon, can save the thing from death “ Laertes shared his plan. “I got it from the traveling gypsies. “That is but scratched withal. I’ll touch on my point with this contagion, that, if I gall him slightly,
It may be death.”

“You had rehearsed the play before?’ Claudius laughed.

“Now I revealed my true intentions. I had planned it to be done in secrecy, maybe unknowingly by Ophelia. It was like getting rid of pests in the wall.” Laertes said.

“Pests in the walls? Yes, they were but it’s …” Claudius knew of the peek holes, and almost to tell more about it but he held his words back.

“Let’s further think of this,” Claudius was always meticulous in his rehearsals. “We cannot go wrong or more faults will be on ….me.”

“Weigh what convenience both of time and means that may fit us to our shape. If this should fail, and our drift looks through our bad performance,” Claudius gave deep thought to the plan. “We should have contingency plans. “Should have a back or second that might hold if this did blast in proof. Soft, let me see.”

“We’ll make a solemn wager on your cunnings— I ha ’t!” Claudius reviews the plan. “When in your motion you are hot and dry, your bouts more violent to that end, and that he calls for a drink, I’ll have prepared him
a chalice for the nonce, whereon but sipping, if he by chance escapes your venomed stuck, our purpose may hold there.”

It was then another shadow was seen approaching the library.

“Who’s there?” Claudius called.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...