Monday, May 8, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 4 Scene 7 Sub Scene 2

 Act Four

Act Four Scene Seven

Sub Scene Two

He lives

“Who interrupts?” Claudius was agitated. He then looked to Laertes. “Please stay. Our conversation has not concluded.”

“Letters, my lord, from Hamlet. These to your Majesty, this to the Queen.” The servant handed the letters.

“From Hamlet? Who brought them?”

“Horatio. He got them from some gentlemen from…. England.” The servant stood there. “I saw them not. They were given by Horatio to Bernard who received them from…I guess of him that brought them.”

“It’s okay. Leave us now.” Claudius dismissed the servant. He then told Laertes to hear the letter while he read.

"High and mighty, you shall know I am set naked on your kingdom. Tomorrow shall I beg to leave to see your kingly eyes when I shall (first ask your pardon) thereunto recount the occasion of my sudden and more strange return. Hamlet."

“What does he mean? Has his madness overtaken him?” Claudius was upset. He had sent Hamlet with a specific handler with specific instructions. Yet he is returning.

“What should this mean? Are all the rest coming back? What of Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern? Or is it some abuse and no such thing?” Claudius was upset. “I am an Emperor with no idea of what is happening?”

“Is it from Hamlet? Did he write it?” Laertes asked.

“I believe so. It looked like his handwriting. Your father will know better but I believed it so.” Claudius replied. “How I wished Polonius was still here? Perhaps you could. ’Tis Hamlet’s character. “Naked”— And in a postscript here, he says “alone.”

“Can you advise me?” Claudius looked to Laertes. He was feeding questions toward Laertes to read the other’s mind. It was a technique of acting to gauge their diverse acting capability, but then, Claudius was looking for emotional avenues. He found none; Laertes was good, but when the subject of the father, Laertes did react emotionally.

Or the mention of young Hamlet.

“I am lost in it, my lord. But let him come.” Claudius saw the clenched fists of Laertes. “It warms the very sickness in my heart that I shall live and tell him to his teeth, ‘Thus didst thou.’ Before his last breath.”

“If it is so, Laertes”, Claudius saw his ace in the pack of cards. “Will you be ruled by me?”

Claudius looked at Laertes for the reaction. It was a testy moment for the other was vengeful, and may go his way.

“Ay, my lord,” Laertes nodded before looking at Claudius. “So you will not o’errule me to a peace?”

“To thine own peace. If he is now returned, as checking at his voyage, and that he means. No more to undertake it, I will work him to an exploit, now ripe in my device, under which he shall not choose but fall.” Claudius had signed the ‘non-intervention’ clause.

“And for his death, no wind of blame shall breathe, but even his mother shall uncharge the practice and call it an accident,” Claudius spoke on behalf of the other.

“My lord, I will be ruled by you, the rather if you could devise it so that I might be the organ.” Laertes was willing to be the tool that Claudius could make use of.”

Claudius breathe ina relief. His audience was for him. He felt the ovation for his act. A good act deserves it, but the actor must be humble. There were always the returning acts that he needed them.

“You have been talked of since your travel much,” Claudius pushed to change the subject matter. “And that in Hamlet’s hearing, for a quality wherein they say you shine. Your sum of parts did not together pluck such envy from him as did that one, and that, in my regard, of the unworthiest siege.”

A little prodding to the younger man despite his feats, he still yield less of one compared to Hamlet.

“What part is that, my lord? We have our plays and audiences. We never met or perform in the same town or city.”

“Narry of that. I heard of yours, and my salutations to your performances.” Claudius was careful in his praise. “So young and talented. A very ribbon in the cap of youth— I had wished when I was of your age. Yet needful too, for youth no less becomes the light and careless livery that it wears Than settled age his sables and his weeds, importing health and graveness.”

“Two months since here was a gentleman of Normandy. I have seen myself, and served against, the French,
And they can well on horseback, but this gallant had witchcraft in ’t. He grew unto his seat, nd to such wondrous doing brought his horse as had he been endorsed and demi-natured with the brave beast. So far he topped my thought that I am in forgery of shapes and tricks. Come short of what he did.”

“A Norman was ’t?” Laertes asked. He was taken in by the mention of another.

“A Norman indeed.”

“Upon my life, Lampard is his name.” Laertes knew the man. “I know him well. He is the brooch indeed
And gem of all the nation.”

“He confessed to me. He gave you such a masterly report for art and exercise in your defense, and your foil most especially in the age yours; a rarity of the youth to hold a foil when a pistol was the gem.”  Claudius took the trail to lay the trap.

“He cried out ’ would be a sight indeed if one could match you. The ’scrimers of their nation he swore had neither motion, guard, nor eye if you opposed them. Sir, this was his report.” Claudius waited for the applaud then.

“He overly praised me there, my Emperor.” Laertes humbly declined.

“It did on Hamlet so envenom with his envy that he could nothing do,” Claudius told the other. “He has you your eyes, speed, and strength.” Claudius bow his head and sighed. “Now out of this—”

 “What out of this, my lord?: Laertes asked.

“Laertes, was your father dear to you? Or are you like the painting of sorrow, a face without a heart?” Claudius wants to know if the other was genuine in his grief.

“Why ask you this?”

“Not that I think you did not love your father, Claudius picked at his words. “You were away most times. But I know love is begun by time. And that I see, in passages of proof, time qualifies the spark and fire of it.”

“There lives within the very flame of love.” Claudius smiled. “I had not a son of my own, but I had seen that in you. A kind of wick or snuff that will abate it, And nothing is at a like goodness still; we should do when we would; for this “would” changes.”

“You are an actor. Recall these lines from Macbeth. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. Act 5 Scene 5.”

“I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition, Act 1 Scene 7.” Laertes hit back. “My ambition now is for my father’s honor/”

“Good on your soul. Hamlet comes back; what would you undertake to show yourself indeed your father’s son more than in words?” Claudius struck the nail into the coffin there.

“If that was to be done, I will cut his throat in the church,” Laertes affirmed his vow of vengeance. Unknown to many, Laertes despised the young Hamlet. He was the son of the King, and held the wealth of Norway, a rival of his acting fame, and his unrequited love for Ophelia, the one whom he felt was undeserving. If Hamlet was gone, his path would be paved with success.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...