Monday, December 20, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXXII-2 V

 Scene V

 

“The betrayal of one own’s bloodline shall be punished here.” The inscription was seen on the ice surface. Dante looked to Virgil who shook his head. “I had seen this for it was done to my family and my stint in the Volunteers. They were relentless to destroy my family if I was not gone.”

“I should had been there but my betrayal to my first wife was more of a stupid mistake of having one too many drinks and an inviting woman then.” Virgil smiled. “It was a passage out of Hell for me but I ended up in Purgatory.”

“Your wives are living and before they do come here, I would suggest you leave Limbo, and be done with your sins.” The cherub spoke to Virgil.

“And when did you become my adviser to my stay here?” Virgil was upset. “For all I care, my wives can go to ---Hell; manner of speech here but they won’t see me with them.”

“A flaming thought but I do hope you are right.” The Cherub smiled.

“Please tell me, cherub. Who ails here?”

“Many.” The cherub replied. “Many of them had treachery but these are most foul for they invited in their victims into their lair on the pretext of good intentions.”

“We have read many of these instances, but why the banishment here?” Dante asked while he saw before him at the ring were the submerged souls with their heads covered by the layer of ice.

“The act of killing had been in the annals of the living for without it, there will not be unnatural death. Killing is the act of vengeance or more times in act of a fight, be it a battle or conflict. Anger surpassed the emotions that governed sanity and the kill will be enacted. But what demeans the purpose was when the killing was intentional on the bloodline of your own.” The Cherub explained.

“In the history of the living, many sinners of the family or relations such did it for power and influences. They harbour no more ties to the other and their only mean to was to eradicate the existence. An example of this was the ancient act of Ptolemy which this ring was named, for.”

According to 1 Maccabees 16:11-24,[1] Ptolemy held a banquet for his father-in-law Simon and two of Simon's sons during which he had them all killed. He then attempted to have Simon's third son, John Hyrcanus, killed also, but failed.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_(son_of_Abubus)

“It was treachery of the worst kind not ranked with that of treachery in God.” The cherub continued. “He had married Simon’s daughter and had the other killed with two other sons. A foul act on the trust and love of the victims for him.”

“The killing between family members have been known to do that. Not only in our society but across the worldwide. Kings and Emperors are well known for that, with the ultimate aim of securing the throne.” Virgil cut in. “And ruthless families of crime.”

“Your presumption is not entirely true. Even the ordinary families may do it if it will warrant them a better life. Greed is the core of their motivation.” Dante added in. “Their impatience to rise to power was driven by the limitation of time in their age. Age had been one factor to kill; the removal of the aged, or the siblings that may stand in their way.”

“You made it sound as if jealousy was the main determination.” Virgil looked at Dante. “I had ---- terminated others in the manner of removal by influence but to ---”

“Virgil, as I had said earlier. Leave Limbo and take your penance in Hell. You may be given some consideration for your sins, like when you were given here, in accompanying Dante.” The cherub looked at Virgil. “No soul should remain forever in Limbo.”

“I am not denying my sins, cherub but let me do my task here for now.” Virgil smiled. “After all, we are not of Hell as yet.”

“True words but let me add on for you. Hell awaits you regardless.” The cherub then moved on.

“Will I not get to speak to any soul here?” Dante asked.

“Why the need when you know what awaits them who is involved in treachery of the bloodline?” The cherub told Dante. “Prepare yourself for the divine treachery.”

“But I insist. I am in need to ---narrate.” Dante was adamant on his view.

“I thought you came her for Beatrice. She had left Hell.” The cherub looked at Virgil. “Didn’t you tell him?”

“Virgil?” Dante was baffled.

“I did not know.” Virgil denied it. “I was given the instruction to guide him. I don’t know if she is here or not.”

“Then you have added on your sin, Virgil.” The cherub smiled. He then looked at Dante. “Nevertheless, Dante. For your task to be complete, you need to move on and ultimately leave Hell. Beatrice may be ahead to wait you or not, Hell is huge and not by the dimensions known to the living.”

“The Hell I will go on.” Dante was upset. “I was --- taken on this task by deception.”

“Deception? No, it was not. Beatrice did have you selected for it on the ---say the call by the divine that you do it. And that someone was you. If you are to leave here,” The cherub looked around. “Not the best of scenery but I do like it here. You may not for you are not dead. If you stay here you may end up in Limbo or worse, wandering forever if time could be measured here.”

“I am ---- That ----= soul sold me out.” Dante was furious. All his effort was for nothing except by the words of one named Virgil. “I ---”

“And you will hear me out on one tale of treachery. If you can recall your readings, there was one named Count Ugolino. He lies here in this ring.” The cherub looked at Dante.

“Count Ugolino is here with his tormentor; Ruggieri. Count Ugolino was imprisoned together with his sons. They were held in the dungeon and not given food or drinks. They eventually starved and died there but not before the father saw their deaths. He vowed vengeance and his accuser eventually arrived. Count Ugolino was given his vengeance here. He fed on the other soul by gnawing at it for eternity.”

“If I do come here, I will gladly do that.” Dante glared at Virgil.

“That can be arranged but for now, you must prepare for the last ring. We are on the clock here; pardon the pun. Prepare for the fate of Judas Iscariot. God is merciful but his wrath bears more than you could fathom.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...