Sunday, December 26, 2021

Vlad the Impaler Chapter 14

 Allies and friends.

14.

“Run, Janus.” The one hidden beside Janus told him. “I will lead the Turks away.”

With that, the one who escaped with Janus took off in a different direction with pursuers on his trail. Janus then left alone hidden behind the rows of baskets took on his own. It was a good plan escape from the master of the bathhouse with five slaves including Janus, but they were discovered while climbing the external wall. The alert of their escape was sounded and the guards pursued.

“Split up into two groups. We can escape that way.” Janus told the others. It was agreed that they do that to increase their chances of escaping. Janus was paired with Old Juan, the older slave. They ran into the alley of the city they were in and hid among the baskets. He heard the guards were searching nearby.

“They are somewhere here.” One of the guards alerted the others. “They can’t get far.”

“I caught two of them there. One had died fighting me.” Another guard then paraded the two captured slaves.

“Ask them where are the rest?” The earlier guard looked to the gathered guards. One of the slaves was approached by the guard. “Who are they and where do they plan to go?”

“I don’t know. All we plan was to climb the wall, and then make our way home.”

“Where is your home?” The guard asked.

“Bohemia. I am ----” The slave was cut off.

“You are a slave. Your home is here. Not in any other ---land.” The guard was upset. “Slaves don’t have names or titles, only their masters.”

“I am Keran.” The slave was ignored.

“Search the alleys. They could be there.” The guard instructed the others.

“What’s of them?” The guard who captured the slaves asked.

“Kill them, and then hang them on the stakes. It will deter the others. We can buy more slaves in the marketplace.” The guard was told and the sword slashed the throat of the slaves including Keran. It was then Old Juan looked to Janus and told him to run.

“I am past the age to escape, or even fight but I can run. Leave now.” Old Juan took off and then alerted the guards. Janus saw the guards pursue the other and he took his leave. It was not that simple for he was in the Turk’s city. He had a plan then. He ran to the trader’s home where he had brought the wares sold by his master. He had met the trader who was Hungarian. With the truce, the trade was then coming to the Ottoman’s land.

“I am Janus.” The ex-slave looked to the trader. “Please take me home. I am Wallachian.”

The trader was also an informer for John Hunyadi on the Turks’ strength. He offered to take Janus with him hidden among the wares back to Wallachia. It was an uneventful journey for the traders were not harassed, and soon Janus found himself in the courtyard of John Hunyadi.

“You are a fine man, young Janus. I once fought with Jan the Brave. How well do you fight, young Janus?” It was an open invitation for Janus to join John Hunyadi’s army.

And how he met Vlad then.

“You ride to Wallachia, Vlad. You will ride with a column of mine. Five hundred strong warriors, and picked yourself more men when you are there. Ride to Wallachia and challenge Vladislav II.” Vlad was told by John Hunyadi. Vlad knew that with five hundred men, he was outnumbered but the urge to avenge his father and brother prompted him to ride.

“Janus, we need more men.” Vlad shared with the other. Janus had then grown to be a bigger frame and with the army training, coupled with the battles, he looked different from the companion that was once with Vlad. Janus was given an amour with the chain mail, a sword, and a shield with a dark mount. He wore the helmet with the horns on the side, and the face cover that reached his nose.

“We may need men but we need them courageous. And above all, we need to strike fear into the enemy. We need to be merciless.” Janus told Vlad. “When I was in battle, the reputation of the Black Army was we were the demons from Hell; offering no surrender and no mercy.”

“I had seen the massacre by the Turks. They killed everyone; men and women and even children to make the enemy fear them. It was the ways of the all-conquering Mongols before. Their reputation precedes their invasion.”

“You did learn while in captivity.” Janus laughed. “I am impressed for the Vlad I knew was all about climbing trees and fighting imaginary foes with that sword of yours.”

Vlad had kept the sword that was his since young.

“I grew up, Janus. Every night was a concern if I will be alive by dawn, and every day was to wait for the call for my head. I had used my time to train in the skills, but I have not utilized them yet. My last few years were of listening to the whims of the court and riding to safety. I was not like you. You ---”

“I lived by the sword, Vlad. I was angry and joined the army. I wanted to kill Turks for they took my land. I had trained hard and fought harder with Jan. I killed my first Turk in the fist battle, and it was ---sweet. I felt the blood that reached the hilt of my sword. I relished it so much that I sheathed the sword with the blood still on it. It was not one I killed but five that battle.”

“And you suffered too.” Vlad had seen the wounds on Janus’s body. He has slashed wounds on his back and chest.

“In the battle, nothing was assured. I may be killed or get to kill. I have the wounds to tell me that I did not die.” Janus smiled. “Have you tasted your blood?”

Vlad shook his head. He had once cut himself in training and Radu was on hand to tend to his cut. Radu was adept at the art of healing had applied the ointment and bandages.

“Lucky you. At times, we ate raw meat for there was no fire to roast it. It was --- repulsive but soon we got used to it.” Janus laughed. “The blood flowing down our cheeks and jaw was a sight that the enemies feared too.”

“Tell, Janus. How will we re-take Wallachia now?” Vlad asked.

“With our blood or theirs’,” Janus replied. “I lived here and will die here if need be.”

“It will be our legacy.” Vlad looked at Janus.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...