Saturday, December 11, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXXI Scene II

 Scene II

 

“The giant to carry us? I have my fear it will be perilous to our form.” Dante was afraid of the giant, or any giants. “I had seen many of these monstrous designs that was destructive in Florence. Structures were torn down in one swipe when it took many efforts over long period to put it up”.

“What is your fear, poet?” Virgil asked.

“I ---” Dante was interrupted by the cherub.

“Dante fears height. He suffers from vertigo.” The cherub cut in. “Nothing is hidden from us in here. You need not fear for Antaeus will be gentle in his palm.”

“Move it, poet. I don’t intend to be here forever. Courage up and think of Beatrice. She awaits you.” Virgil told the other before pushing Dante ahead. The latter stopped in his tracks and looked to the cherub.

“Open your eyes, poet. I have not felt so alive …. Literary meant.” Dante heard Virgil. They were seated on their haunches on the tight space at the palm of the left hand of the giant with their legs dangling in between the fingers of the giant. He was holding onto the index finger like a pillar in the structure. Virgil was holding the ring finger then.

“Wow! Did you reckon the giant ever washed his hand? I mean he was stuck in waist deep before he carried us.” Virgil had best of the inquisitive mind at the worst possible time. “I can’t smell anything. Oh, I forgotten I am dead.”

Dante knew the stench but he was more preoccupied by the cramped space he was in like on the air flight when he was sent to the battle front.

“Dante, we are in the river.” The giant had climbed out of the pit it was in, grabbed them and took to the river. The water reached the giant’s waist.

“Will it get any deeper?” Virgil was doing the commentary. “Het, Giant. Have you seen Charon here? You like he took the express trail for the good sinners?”

“Virgil, do shut up. I am trying to hold what I have left here.” Dante was upset.

“Oops, the poet is into his mood. I won’t speak but ---- wow, that was a swift flow in the river. Are we at the rapids now?”

“NO---” The giant replied to Virgil which at that proximity sounded like a roar. It was then the giant tilt to the left before it pulled its body frame up. Dante had then had his stomach acid reached his mouth but he did not throw up.

The giant called Antaeus took on the stride against the river flow. Virgil had looked at the swift flow and was amused that they were still above it. At some areas, the giant was almost submerged to the chest.

“I say, poet. Do you think ----”

“Shut up, Virgil. Or die once more for all I care but stop talking.’ Dante was upset. The rest of the journey on the giant’s palm was done in silence or rather at one stage, Virgil did a burp on his mouth.

“Never knew I could do that here. It ---” Virgil saw the poet had his eyes shut then. He kept his comment to himself.

“We are there now.” The giant roared. “I will let you down now.”

Dante and Virgil stepped off the palm and watched the giant took its strides back down the river.

“I say, poet. Was ---” Virgil was cut off by Dante who staggered in his steps to the nearby boulder. Virgil let the poet rest and feast his sight on the new Circle.

“One sees more devils than vast hell can hold,” Virgil muttered on the sight. ( Midsummer Night's Dream' (1595-6) act 5, sc. 1, l. 7, William Shakepeare)

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...