Monday, December 20, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXXII-2 IV

 Canto XXXII-2

The Ninth Circle: Treachery

Scene IV

 

“Shield me from this cold please.” Dante was affected by the cold air which froze the water there but his call was ignored. Virgil and the cherub were not affected by the cold. Dante found himself staggering on his feet with his face facing down, looking into the path ahead. His eyes stink by the cold winds and his vision blurred. His left feet then kicked at something on the ground. He was to turn his direction when he heard the voice called out.

“Watch where you step.” The voice was from the sinner whose head Dante had kicked. Dante in the apologetic mood leaned down to apologies but he stopped midway. He had recognized the face.

“Bocca de Basil! You bastard.” Dante was infuriated at the sight of the volunteer who had betrayed the company which caused them to retreat in battle. Half the company died in that attack, when they were ambushed by the enemy. It was later made known that their movements were betrayed by one of their own.

“It was Bocca who had turned traitor and betrayed our plans to the enemy.” Dante’s words were not heeded.

It was the first week of deployment for Dante then. He had sat with Bocca on that week, as his appointed trainer for Bocca was the senior. His one week in the front line was more of servitude than training. He was doing errands for the senior and it annoyed Dante very much. On the day before the disastrous battle, Bocca was selected to go on a recon patrol with Dante. They went out and was soon in the battle zone.

“You go on ahead. I will stay here. Do up to a hundred and fifty yards and then return.” Bocca had told Dante. “Don’t shoot the enemy but come back here.”

Dante then unsure but he took the task on himself.  He saw nothing of concern and turned back. He reached the spot where he left Bocca, and was surprised to see the other talking to an enemy then. Dante was to charge at the enemy when he saw the senior saying goodbye to the enemy in a friendly manner. He later confronted the senior.

“He is my brother and served on the other side. We were just having a chat.” Bocca explained. “Nothing official was told.”

Dante left the matter as it was and soon the call to move forward was made. They were ambushed and retreated but Bocca was not seen in the retreat. A prisoner caught by the Volunteers confessed that they were given the information on the advancement. Dante heard of it and was to report to the Officers when he saw Bocca had re-appeared there.

“Sir, I was in the front and killed this volunteer who was with the enemy. He was collecting his dues when I shot him.” Bocca reported in. Just as Dante was to speak, Bocca was made Sergeant and made to lead the second wave. That also resulted in the retreat but Bocca was missing in action. It was only months later, that the Volunteers were told the truth that Bocca was seen and shot dead by the Army for being a spy. It was the last then when Dante heard of Bocca.

“Bocca de Basil! You bastard.” Dante cursed some more. “You caused many of ---”

“I would had done it again if I have to. I am not for the Queen.” Bocca called out in anger. “I was for myself. Stupid war.”

“You betray a few hundred of our friends---” Dante was upset but his words were cut off. “Do you remember Ricco? He was the one who helped you carry your load during the march. Or Peter who listened earnestly to you on your insane tales? They died in the battle.”

“Friends they are to you but to me they were the ---- acquaintances, or regarded as enemies. They may deplore me for I am a misfit in society. I was seen as a parasite by some, or a scavenger by another. I was given the opportunity to do good with my skills; I was paid handsomely. I did it and left the war till the day they tracked me down and killed me.” Bocca sighed. “I was sent here to serve my penance. Was it my sin to do what I did?”

“Yes, Bocca. If the living realm have less of your kind, there would had been less betrayal.” Dante raised his voice.

“What is one man’s poison is to another man his meal. Heard of that, Dante. It was a meal to me.” Bocca laughed. “I find my penance here may be seen as suffering but I am by myself. I am not scorned on nor looked with disdain by my peers. I will stay here as my choice. And more to it, I am told that the Devil resides here and one day --- soon I will be the meal to be served.”

“Madness prevail in you, Bocca.” Dante spat at the other.

“Madness to you but to me its sanity.” Bocca laughed. “Move on, Dante. But before you do that, tell me Dante. Why did you volunteer in the war? Why put yourself here like the others? You may not return at all, and to some of them, they will made widows of their wives, or orphans of their children. Or of your family, would you parents worry for your return?”

“I am single.” Dante replied.

“Why the war? Why volunteer? Won’t it be easier if you and the others did not, the war may had ended earlier? Was victory so much needed? You could not accept defeat so that peace may reign.”

“Defeat is --- No, we must win. We are the ---” Dante hit back.

“Do you know that this ring was named Antenora for the Trojan who opened the city gates of Troy during the war? He was said to be the traitor or was he trying to end the war? Is defeat such an unacceptable alternative? Are we heroes or demons? That can be a faint line as you may have seen it. Whatever we are named, we done our part in the living realm. And to many of us, we won in victory or defeated but peace reign.”

“Yes ---- but defeat is unacceptable.” Dante admitted.

“Then you don’t belong here. Find your own place in Hell but not here. Here lies the ones who had accepted their sins in defeat and we will await our penance. We are great sinners and even after life, we are to serve here. You win.”

“I win?” Dante asked.

“Yes, for to you winning is everything. I was prepared to be defeated so that peace can reign. I can rest in peace.” Bocca replied. Dante was furious and grabbed hold of Bocca’s hair. He pulled hard at it and removed a section of it.

“Take what you want of me, Dante. I cannot alter the past but leave me some dignity here. One day, as I was told, we will be consumed by the Devil when it comes around.

Dante stood there with every intention to kick at the head as an act of vengeance but his mind told him to move on. He did and soon arrive at the next ring.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...