Friday, December 31, 2021

Dante Book IV Canto I Scene III

 Canto I

Escape back to Hell

Scene III

“You are or rather was in a prison named Purgatory but for now, you are outside it. Your only escape routes are not out here but inside the metal structure here. You will need to go up the structure to the escape pods at the peak.”

“Do tell me, Cato. Why then bring me out here?” Dante was snide in his question. He looked below and saw the sight that bewildered him.

“We are a structure out here in the cold barren landscape --- Technically, a frozen desert.” Dante voiced out in disappointment.

“And unlike your previous virtual prison, this one is unique in design. The prisoners here are also unique by nature.”

“Unique to be the subject of torturous devices like the one I had undergone earlier.” Dante hit back. “I read of these before. The prisons are designed to be experimental labs. And only the vermin operate there.”

“I am not programmed to review the works here but to provide your assistance. However, you can choose to ignore me, I can always recede to my other works.” Cato was retracting on its earlier intention.

“I wonder when did we program the programs like yours to decide on what to do?” Dante looked at Cato.

“Evolution is not only contained within the living species, but we the programmable designs with the input of mankind have allowed us to evolve to the next levels by modes of intelligence analysis and adaption.” Cato defended its action. “And unlike your kind, we are not swayed by emotions.”

“Enough of the justifications, Cato. Do tell me why am I out here?”

“I had to get you warm up before we can move. Your cold and wet condition would have left a trail or you may collapse from exhaustion, and you will be captured before we make it to the next level.”

“Thank you, Cato. You are bluntly honest. So, tell me who are you? I meant the logic of your programming.” I asked then.

“I am Cato; Co-Assimilation Techno Operator, for my full designation. I was a program to work on the mind of the prisoner to be assimilated into their mind and soul if there was any, and using my tools to function inside them as they are alive.” Cato replied. “However, with Virgil’s assistance, I am now designated CATO with an identity to assist you.”

“Do tell me, Dante. Who is the real Cato? The one which you recited his words. I knew of it but not the real entity.”

“Cato --- there were two of them, the Senior and the Younger. Both of them were ---noble men during the ancient Roman era. The Junior or Younger was a bane to the ruling Julius Caesar then and was said to hold the best of virtues like denial of bribes and distaste for ubiquitous corruption. He battled Caesar and even in defeat, he refused to bow to the emperor. Cato committed suicide rather than owing loyalty to the emperor. His suicide was seen as a symbol for those who followed the conservative, Optimate principles of the traditional Roman. Caesar, Cato's long-time rival, was praised for his mercy, compassion, and generosity, and Cato, for his discipline, rigidity, and moral integrity.”

“Admirable of the one named Cato.” Cato injected in then.

“However, according to Dante’s original poems, Cato was a pagan but it baffled me why he was not in Limbo, and with his suicide, he should have been banished to Seventh Circle of Hell. He was however placed in the poem to hold the rank of an administrative role in Purgatory perhaps to allow him to purge his sins, and be given the redemption later.” 

“Well, Cato was a pagan and he does not deserve to go to Hell. And more to it, he may be noble to given the task of administrating Hell.” Cato defended his namesake. “As I am, a product not of my creator intentions hence his non-authorized program, and because of my liaison with Virgil, I am to administrate your stay here or rather gateway from here.”

“So says the program. Let me quote you what Dante wrote of your namesake.”

I saw beside me an old man, alone,
who by his looks was so deserving of respect
that no son owes his father more.

His beard was long and streaked with white,
as was his hair, which fell
in double strands down to his chest.

The rays of those four holy stars
adorned his face with so much light
he seemed to shine with the brightness of the sun

“You don’t look like him at all.” Dante hit back.

“An adaption which I can undertake,” Cato replied. The clean-shaven expression held a long beard and his hair billowed to his waist. His face was white-streaked as if he was bleached from young.

“I do look like an elderly wizard now.” Cato grinned.

“And the newly arrived prisoners have reached. We will join them there.” Cato continued. “Jump below to the surface now.”

Dante looked down and saw the surface was not far below. It was not seen before because he was not looking for it then. With the layer of snow, his drop will not be fatal. There was a group of people standing there. They must have been left there waiting for the entrance to the prison to open.

“You are mad! I am not going back in there.” Nevertheless, Dante protested.

“The fallacy of being alive eluded you to take risks that may ----terminate your existence as a living vessel but I can assure you have jumped off higher platforms when you went swimming in your youth.” Cato for once smiles behind the swath of beard.

“I was --- younger then. I am --- having pain in my joints as we speak.” Dante defended himself.

“Unfortunately, but the ledge you are on will soon be dipped and you will ----” Cato did not get to complete his words. Wiser words should have been spoken before the occurrence, and Dante found himself slipping from the rear. He fell and landed on the surface. If he could have displayed his bruises, he would have but instead, he was stared at by a group of persons dressed in the shade of orange overall. I crouched up to his knees facing those surprised looks.

“He is a guard.” One among the group spoke. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...