Saturday, December 11, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXXII-1 Scene I

 Canto XXXII-1

The Ninth Circle: Treachery

Scene I

 

Dante scene of the new Circle was formed in the mind when he recited Homer’s words; Few sons attain the praise of their great sires and most their sire’s disgrace. He saw him the soul that were submerged in what appeared to a huge frozen lake. It was unseen before in his journey there at Hell but the sight of the sinners trapped beneath or partially submerged in it, was truly disturbing. He saw one sinner was seen with the hands clawing. And it was not bright daylight but a cover of dim light and miserable feel to it.

“I had seen the others in training drowned when we attempt the river crossings. They fell from the ropes and into the rapid waters of the river.” Dante muttered to Virgil of the event he was to witness during his volunteer training. “And it was cold winter.”

“Was there no instructors or safety nets?” Virgil asked.

“There were instructors but none dare to perform the deed. It was a training and we died like in the real war.” Dante sighed. “What did they do to deserve this?”

Virgil sensed the other was on the verge of breaking down. His mood swings were many and it was a sign of emotion disturbance.

“Allay your moods and cleared your mind, poet. We are not of Hell just yet.” Virgil tried to assure Dante. 

“I am fine, Virgil. I am just --- disturbed that when we are near to exit Hell, we seem to be faced with more atrocity that one who had sinned shall be punished. A worthy sentence to reflect their pain will be the words of the Bard. Now is the winter of our discontent.” (Richard III, Act 1, Scene 1.).

“I recalled those words. It was the opening line of Richard III play by the Bard, but I much be referred these words of his here; ‘when shall we three shall meet again, in thunder or in rain’ from Macbeth.”

“Three? We are not of three. We---” Dante snapped back.

“We are three; You, Me and the one we seek, Beatrice. One we meet, the task is over. Forget the ones we met here. They are the passer-by of the journey. They ---”

“They matter to me. I have seen their penance and what it may had taught me was perseverance in my lifetime and do just to it. Do not be tempted by sins.” Dante replied.

“You are talking like a man of collar but we have seen even here, they may be tempted by sins. I will prefer to tread or rather I had for I am dead. I have sins but till I am ready to face them, I will --- stay in limbo.” Virgil laughed at himself. “And here I am ranting like a mad man deep into Hell. The irony of us when alive and proven by me after it; dead and we are still the cynic at times.”

“You are a fool, Virgil but treasured as my companion here.” Dante smiled. “Irony and all, I choose to accept.”

When Virgil was to banter on with the other, the cherub appeared or rather the timing of another of that entity was unprecedented and Virgil lashed out.

“We are in the talks of our life. Are you following us, or you have a few identical in looks to the ones we met before?” Virgil asked.

“I can sense your agitation in the tone. I heard your so-called irony towards life. I heard your comments on the Bard, and for me your irony lies with the same words of Juliet in the play of Romeo and Juliet. I quote;

Where I have learn’d me to repent the sin
Of disobedient opposition
To you and your behests, and am enjoin’d
By holy Laurence to fall prostrate here,
And beg your pardon…

(Romeo and Juliet IV.ii 18-22) https://literarydevices.net/romeo-and-juliet-dramatic-irony/

“I recall those.” Dante interjected in. “She conceded to marry Paris while in reality, she was only pretending to be obedient and respectful.”

“As you had seen here, many sins punished here were of that; the fraud towards others when the sinner knew what was their intent. Here lies the worst of the lot. Ironic, Virgil? Its not. It’s the nature of life’s to bury the worst at the deepest like our bad memories.”

“You read the Bard’s works?” Virgil was surprised. “Is he here?”

“His whereabouts cannot be disclosed but to your first question, yes, I did. As I or rather in the words of my peers, nothing is hidden when the soul reached here. What is yours will be revealed.” The cherub smiled at Virgil. “Yours included.”

“Any chance of correcting my mistakes there?” Virgil tried his attempt at redemption.

“I am afraid not. We are what you may say observe and not partake. Like now, I am here to offer you guidance. The Circle you are in will pose to the both of you, dire conditions for here lies the fallen Angel named Lucifer.” The cherub explained the concern. “Do you know Lucifer?” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...