Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Joni and Me II

Joni and Me; the other sequel

It had been twenty-five years since I left my hometown.  I remembered that day when I walked up to the house and knocked on the door. She opened the door dressed in the bathrobe although it was past noon. There she was, my Joni that I should have married. I was beyond words then when a hello would have sufficed. It was she who broke the silence on me.

“Hello, Jimmy.” I looked at the woman who stood there at the doorway. She looked about the same, maybe some wrinkles and hair were unkempt.

“I just got up. I did not expect you.” I smiled at her. She had read my mind then.   I should have read her’ better twenty-five years ago. I left town soon after I told Joni I can’t marry her. It was our age difference. Five years it was and silly of me, it mattered to me then. She was fifteen and I was twenty-one. Heck, in the town I lived in, girls were getting married at then to many older men. It was not a love set but a survival game. The crops were bad and the harvest was worse. We all needed to survive and education counts nothing to put food on the tables. Not when the mouths to fed are waiting in the kitchen. I left town because of that too. I was jobless, my dad’s farm was to be auctioned, my scholarship to college rejected, and my girlfriend then was younger.
I took my step into the house that I used to lounge my feet near the stove to keep the toes warm. It was never a concern on my body for there were her hands that roamed it then. I saw the place had not changed much with the stove changed to a newer model but the couch was there. It brought back memories to me then.

“Let me get changed. Make yourself at home.” Joni left me to my own there. Those words rang into my ears. I felt the stirring in my loins as it did then twenty-five years ago but maybe it was not bellowing as before. Back then, with her father out in the field or at the drinking establishment, we had the place to ourselves. I remembered most was when she met behind the door wearing only the top vest and panty to greet me after I stepped in. It was our first approach then to what would be our mutual sex outings. I recalled holding her into my arms and kissing her. My hands roamed down her back and were aroused that she was not wearing her bra. I was brazened then at eighteen to move my hands into the vest and cupped her growing breasts. God, I wanted her since then, but we did not breach her vow to be pure till the day we exchanged vows. Her hands worked wonder on me that day, and I recalled my walk home was alike a drunken fool.

“Can I get you a drink?” I felt her walked by me at the rear of the kitchen. I turned to follow and saw that she had changed into a white blouse and dark pants. Her hair was tied into a single ponytail. I tailed her to the kitchen watching her walk; the swing of her hips and the arms. I vividly remembered all that, and then more.

“How’s John?” I asked. I had gotten into town an hour ago and drove over here.

“Didn’t you know?” Joni turned from the kitchen table where she was filling up the kettle. Her look from the side was best, alluring toward me. The turn of her head and the side view of her body was like before.

“John died soon after we married. It was our third year. He was killed in a car accident. “Joni spoke of it as if it has not affected her anymore.

“I … am sorry. I did not…”

“Jimmy, you were away.” I heard her then and knew it still hurts her that I left. “Things happens.”

“Were you happy …. Then?” It was a stupid question but it popped before I could give it any thoughts.

“I … we was until he lost his job. I lost our baby. I had to abort it. John was devastated and resorted to drinking until he died.” Joni had then turned on the stove to light the fire. “He was killed by an oncoming truck. The Police said he walked into the truck.”

I had then stood behind her. I wanted to reach out for her, and give her the love she deserved but my arms were numb to my side.
“Sit down, Jimmy. The coffee will be ready shortly.” Joni stepped away to the cupboard. I felt silly and took the offer to sit down at the chair. It was a wooden one and it wobbled on the legs. Joni set the cups and then the sugar.

“I don’t have milk. Would sugar do?” I nodded. I took my look at the woman. She had aged given the years we were apart. She looked haggard but to me, she was still beautiful. She had retained her figure and from looks at the blouse, she was not as bouncy like before. I cursed myself to think of her as a sex doll but I can’t help it. For twenty-five years, since I left the town, I joined the Army. I was a regular guy there and took the track to retired the year before with the rank of Captain. I had not gotten married, although I had some ladies in my life. I fucked them on my visits but when back at my role in the Army, I was a mean bastard. I went on tours and took up assignments that others may cringe at. I survived three ambushes and were shot four times, with only near-fatal. I returned to the town without knowing why or maybe it was to meet Joni.

“Jimmy, are you listening?” I looked up towards her when she questioned me.

“Huh? Sorry, I was daydreaming.”

“Are you alright?” Joni asked me while reaching her right hand towards mine. I felt the warmth and old feelings. I nodded to her and then asked her to continue on.

“I was saying after John’s death, I worked on in town as a waitress and on the farm. There wasn’t much here but the waitress's job paid reasonably. I was able to survive.”

“Did you…. remarry?” Funny how I could ask then the question. I bit my lips that I was not questioning a recruit on their issues.

“I …. I tried but there were … no one.” She smiled. “I guess, even at the age of twenties I was not desirable like the eighteens…” Her words trailed there and I felt embarrassed.

“I am sorry.” I felt my apology was insincere.

“No, don’t be. There were some others. One was a younger man. He was nineteen and I was twenty-eight then. Ten years difference.” That last line hurt me in the heart. I remembered my words were “You are fifteen and I am twenty-five”.

“Joni….” I wanted to say something in reply but she stopped me.

“It did not work out. His father barred me from ever seeing the son. I was called a vixen.” Joni scoffed at her words. “We were just friends. I had no intention to bed him but we did spend some time talking and laughing. His father was the banker and he got the Police to caution me off.”

“Banker? You mean Mr. Herman. His son….” I remembered the younger redhead who spend his time at the library.

“Yes, Pieter. He was a good friend.” Joni smiled. “He left town shortly after High School. His father sent him to Europe.”

“You never got to marry again.” I pressed on.

“No, I never did. I just want to be …. alone.” Joni looked down at the table. Our hands were still together. “I had lived on…”

“Joni, can I make it up to you? I was a fool to leave you. I do love…”
“Jimmy, it's okay. I am not in ….. the need of love. I am in love.” Joni looked at me. It was then another person joined us in the kitchen. It was someone I knew.

“Hello, Jimmy. It’s been a long time since we met.” I looked at the figure approaching the kitchen counter.

“Hello, Madge. I did not …” Madge was our best friend in school. We went on double dates together. I was with Joni and Madge was with John. She looked wonderfully well that day dressed in the green dress and matching jacket. She leaned over to kiss Joni and then said goodbye.

“My work shift starts at two.” I was in the military terms; shell shocked. Soon after Madge left, Joni explained to me.

“It was Madge who came to live with me. She was not in love with John but his good friend like us. Well, not entirely like us. Madge did not like men. She showed me a different side of me. One that I could live on with. We became one and it has been more than ten years now. We are lovers. Last year, we got legally married when the State recognized our union.”

I pulled my hand away. Joni saw that and smiled.

“It’s not your fault, Jimmy. We are just not the same. I have to go too. My work also starts at two.” I took my leave and got into the car I drove in. I sat in the driver seat and watched the house I came to meet Joni. She was not the same Joni anymore. I was selfish to expect her to be the same. Maybe we have changed, or maybe not. Whatever, mine had changed.

“Dad, can we go?” I heard the request. I looked at the rear-view mirror. It showed me the small boy of five years holding the portable play unit.

“Yes, Danny. We are going now.” I told my son. He was adopted by me from the war-torn country. He was with me since he was three and he may need a mother.

‘Is that lady to be my mother?” Danny asked.

“No, Danny. He is a friend. I am your father and mother. And you…”

“Grandfather and Grandmother and my uncle and aunty and ….”

“Your brother too.” Both of us laughed.

“You are funny, Dad.” I am. The radio then played this chorus.

Joni, Joni, please don't cry
You'll forget me by and by
You're just fifteen I'm twenty-two
Joni I just can't wait for you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Much Thanks to LitChart for the guide

 Credit to https://www.litcharts.com/shakescleare/shakespeare-translations/macbeth And to Ben Florman.  Ben is a co-founder of LitCharts. He...