Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Deep Seas War 3.1

3.

The Surface

“Good Lord, are you accusing me of treason?” Lord Chamberlain Gibbons was enraged by the accusations made by Lord Henry. “Heavens forbid me but I can assure you that your plans are safe with me.”

Lord Henry looked towards the crate of his drawing that he had handled before to the Chamberlain. It was protocol to do so for the man held the position of trust and above all, the approvals of such projects. If the Ministry does not sanction the project, it will be considered as illegal to proceed.

“Then explain to me how I was to hear of that there were other similar projects that are similar to mine being promoted, or in the works.” Lord Henry pressed on. He then threw the paper clippings onto the Chamberlain desk. “They do not lie. Most times they do have some truths to their claims.”

“Good Lord, this is a mockery of true journalism.” Lord Chamberlain Gibbons snapped back but Henry was giving that up so easily. He leaned onto his good leg and pressed on his accusations.

“My plans were given to your care five years ago. It outlined the general scope of the works to be done and Lord forbid, my initial designs of the crafts. Today, I read news of it on the publications. So named experts are putting their marks on my design and with some even disputing its design.”

“The Lord does not forbid critics to comment on his creation, nor do myself but since you said it was five years that you left me those …designs, I may admit that they could have been accessed by my own staff. It’s the discretion of the Ministry to verify your project for its viable prospect. In doing so….”

“In doing so, those bastards may have sold my ideas to others.” Lord Henry hit back with anger. “Does this Ministry not have any rules and conditions which they are to adhere with. Or do you sell even your own mother for self-gain.”

“Mine your accusations, Lord Henry. I was also a Military man and a child with a mother. I lived my life with discipline and integrity.”

“Mine yours, Lord Chamberlain. You were on the other side fifteen years ago. We fought but by sheer luck your side avoided defeat through the calls of a truce.” Lord Henry recalled the Civil War they fought when the land cried for food and justice. It was both which drove the people to revolt and sides were determined by emotions and fear. Lord Henry fought for the people against the authorities. He foregone his command and join the local militia. The war lasted three years but the toll on the land lasted more than fifteen years with over five million dead. It also spurred on the resurgence to work on automation and hence the boom of the next engineering age. The advancement of technology then was at the development of steam and electricity was soon discovered. It was an era of Innovations.

“I recalled that too. Such a pity for I was trained to be a marksman then. I would not have missed hitting at your groin.” Lord Chamberlain admitted that it was he who made Lord Henry a cripple.  “Such are the fortune of wars.”

Lord Henry held back his anger at that grim reminder and pressed on with his accusations.

“Tell me who else knew of my designs.” Lord Henry pressed his point forward.

“I won’t know. Your designs were in the archive and accessed by many. How would I know? It was five years, and I got only five months of food supply now with fifteen millions to feed. So which do you think takes precedent?”

“Fuck you.” Lord Henry cursed at the other before taking leave of the Chamber.

“I do hope so. Your baton reputation precedes you. Are you sure it’s not your stiff leg that they were humping on.” Lord Chamberlain called out to the departing Lord. Once Lord Henry has slammed the doors on the Chamberlain, it was opened to admit another three.

“I am not to be disturbed.” Lord Chamberlain spoke up without raising his face.

“Surely, we are not in that list.” General Clarke approached the Chamberlain desk. The General was the commanding officer of the army that fought for the authorities. He was a tall wide shouldered man but with his elderly age, he had hunched on his frame giving him the looks of a grim looking hooded serpent. He dressed in the uniform of the Army and flagged with all his medals. He was followed by Lord Ian and then there was the last person who was least expected to 
be there.

“Good day, Lord Chamberlain.” The third person greeted the other. Her name was Chen Lin Jan; a Chinese descent with some mixed bloods of the Dutch and German. Her family had invested in the main continent and also in the isles for many generations but their main base was still in the East. She looked emancipated but it was her genetic Eastern look but beneath that slight frame was a lady of strength and resolute. She had on a dark suit and matching shoes with the leopard low cut blouse that was enchanted with the pearl string that reached just below her breast lines. On her chest was the heavy gold chain on his neck with the dragon emblem.

“Morning, Lady Jan. It’s always my pleasure to meet you.” The Lord Chamberlain stood up and offered his guest a curt bow. “Was your flight here eventful?”

“The airship was added on with the turbine to speed up its flight but I still prefer the swift winds on the high sails.” Lady Jan ancestors were sea farers that travelled the high seas with their wooden boats in search of fortune.


“I am here on the progress of the sea ports.” Lady Jan cut her way into the main discussion issue. “My fleet of ships are on the way here.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...