Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rhubarbs for the Mothers'


For the coming tale, imagine floating Rhubarb’s; big giant pieces like little island on the skies. There are the leaves that looks like trees on the surface plus the roots that look like....... I won’t mention it here. Its after all PG-13.

Here goes to the tale....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Zeus, I demand to see you this very second."

Now that is an insult to me, as I am the greatest Olympian and who dares to wake me up from my slumber. Since I have defeated the Titans, none may dare to utter any threats to me lest alone mutter a curse within earshots of mine.

"Who dares to call upon me in such manner?"I bellowed out and readied my lightning bolts to strike the foes down.

"I do and you get out here now." Oh my goodness, it can't be. Why must she holler so loud in the Olympian Hall? What if the others hear of it. Hermes would speed tell to the others and I would be laughed at from all before the next sounding of the drums. I must hurry to see to her call. I dashed off with my sandals hanging by my toes and soon appear in front of my mother.

"Hello, Gaia....pardon me, mother of mine. How may I assist you? Did Poseidon annoyed you? I shall him sent off to the depths of the ocean so he may not be seen for sometime." Its my mother and only she can do this to me. Not even Cronus can command me at such notice.

"Son, you have sent off Poseidon to the ocean depths. I suggest you do to these rhubarb flying up in the clouds. You are aware that today is Mother's Day and I am holding a gathering of mothers to celebrate it. So pardon me, if I could do without the sights of these overblown titties floating up there." She is pointing to a number of 'rhubarb' shaped among the clouds.

"Olympus forbids it, what is tarnation are those land pieces? I shall have Hermes checked them out. If needed, Ares to do battle with them if they are some unkind beings to invade us." I took to my heels again to seek the God of Speed to check on this uncalled piles of land. Hermes on getting my command flew up there on his feathered sandals to check them. It was then Ares walked in and saw the floating rhubarbs.

"Zeus, are you selling off chunks of our mountain again. If that is so, can I buy a piece? I always wanted my very own floating piece. Its more private." I almost struck Ares down with my bolts but he was soon donning his armor to stake his own floating estate out there Then came my lovely Athena who laughed when she saw the floating rhubarb.

"You know what is that? Who is responsible for it?" I demand she tell me and she did with glee.



"Hercules, what did you do?" I invited young Hercules to stay with me as his mother was away on vacation in the east. He is my illicit son with a mortal lady and I was passing him off as an apprentice on some study tour in Olympus. Young Hercules is only five and he needs a father to coached him now. So I took him on here. I don't need Gaia knowing I am sow more than I reap, or is it the way around.

"Hi Dad. I did that. Do you remember the tale you told me of the magical beans and some mortal named Jack. How he grew the beans into a sky reaching stalk. Well, I followed your tale. I got from Athena some beans. She is on groovy lady." The young boy nudged my ribs with his elbow. Sure is a chip off the block. He continued with his story.

"I planted Athena's beans. As I could not find any water, I peed on it. Guess what; it did not grow." Young Hercules sighed. "So I consulted Uncle Dionysus and he gave me some good wine. I watered them on the beans. Well, you know the rest?"

I looked at my half son and shook my head.

"You know if you take too much beans, you get to do this often." Young Hercules may be small in frame but he sure let off a bomb that makes even my bolts less deadly. I had to run out for some fresh air.

Then Young Hercules joined me there. "Told you. The beans grew into large rhubarb and on released of their gas if I may termed it, they shook the foundation of the soil and floated up. I did an analysis of what made it float; hydrogen and nitrogen on the roots. That conclude my explanation."

I looked up at the floating rhubarb and shook my head. How am I to explain to Gaia.



"That was a wonderful gifts to the mothers, Zeus." I smiled at the mother of my children. I just handed over three floating piece of 'estate' to the lucky draw contest for mothers' in Gaia' Mother's Day Celebration.

I also made a 'kill' that day; I sold to the lucky winners my latest invention; Hydrogen / Nitrogen Gas Pods; Never leave your floating estate without one. You can never tell when the gas may run out."



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.....okay, it belated, but it is always the though that counts.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...