Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Easy Squad Part 1 of 3

A short tale on fantasy and aliens fighting as mercenaties. Its a Sgt Rock dedication, for those of us who reads DC comics



1

There is one thing I dislike most is Humans, and more so in depth when they are posted to my squad. They are clumsy and above all with an ego in them thinking that we are below them in the intelligence levels. Frag the Commander for sending me this species when I asked for is a reliable scout not an oaf in a uniform. If I had my choice, I would had pulled the trigger on that species the day it reported in.

I am on a recon with my squad of aliens in the Gazza sector. My squad is not large in number but we are the best in the battalion under the Alien Troopers. There is my second in command, Senior Officer Seth; a pythonian species with an affinity for crushed meat and bones. He is a scrawny reptile species with a short length of twelve feet but he made up for his strangulation skills, and he has this small two set of arms on the scale side that holds a phaser each. I seen him shot up four different targets in one click each of his four phaser. Next to him is Rhono; large bulk and good man in the field. He may be on his four limbs in movement, but his heavy bulk carries the twin mounted cannons on each side of his bulk. Them four cannons can tear a hole in a three inch thick armor with one burst. Many commented on Rhono as he has a curved horn on his snort, but they would regret it soon enough when he charges at them. His thick hide can stand up any phaser shots except the heavy cannons. But we complement his hide with the body armor as not every squad has a Rhono in theirs.

But there is always a sneaky rat in one squad; mine is Rat-Daniel, the worst of the scums. He would run off in any battle if you are not winning or the odds are too great. I normally fight with one paw on his tail so he can't do the hiding trick. He hates me for it but he is the best sniper in the battalion. He can shoot well with the Sniper Class Rifle well so he tolerate his rat-like behaviour. My last member in the squad besides the human, is Lizzie. She is a Class One Amphibian with a set of orbs that you cannot be without. Her orbs are independent of each other and she can see more than any of us can. Her other best skill is her ability to blend into any background; so we sometimes nickname her 'Chameleon'. She is our pointer in the patrol. As for my human new recruit, its name is Tom but we just called it Man. He told me on my first encounter with it, that not addressed him as 'it' but him. I dragged him up off his feet with my paws and looked at it in the face. Man never complained again. Its not everyday, he comes to faced with a Grizzle like me. I am Squad Commander Yogi, formerly of the Grizzle Nation, now a mercenary here. I am about seven foot tall and my paws can crush a human head in a click but I let my sawn off twin barrel rifle phaser do the crushing now.

Lizzie raised her tail and that means halt. We are in the worst stretch of the Gazza Sector; the area where the thickets are dense and higher than my lower torso. We are also surrounded by the thick trunk of trees that has build canopies of shelter with its leaves, leaving little sunlight at the ground level. I signaled Seth to slitter off to the left while Man take the right. I pulled Rat-Daniel to take firing position on the upper branches. He is having problem to climb up or feigning one. So I grabbed him and hurled him up to the branches. He sneered back at me, but I ignored his gesture. I pushed Rhono to cover the left while I took the right.

"Liz, what you got?"

"Movements at twelve; I count ten or more. They are also alerted to us."

Ten or more, says bad odds against us. I need more confirmation so I comm to Rat; 'Do a re-count and assessment." We may need to retreat and re-route. Mission is more important than skirmish as the later may cost us time and lives.

"Enemies withdrawing. Count is affirmative but they are retreating to the rear. We are cleared on route." If Rat says they are withdrawing, I can agreed with him. He has an uncanny appreciation for no fight situation. He is not a coward but he hates direct confrontation especially when the odds are against us.

"Squad to proceed on caution. Give them five clicks start before we move. But new route is to the north left. We do not want to walked into a trap. Over."

Four clicks saids it all;order understood and confirmed. I let them move as I take the rear. I just do not want the enemy to be back tracked on us. We moved out in close formation to our target.

We finally made it there.

I had to lie down flat on my front to avoid being seen. Its not easy being of seven feet tall and with a dimension this large. I unslung the heavy launcher on my back and laid it next to me. I took our my Range View which will give me a magnify look on the area. Its there as Intel has provided the information before we left the camp. I counted fifty guards and two outpost with rapid fire tripod mounted phaser. There is the Command Post and our acquired target, the animal pen. That's where they stored the General who was captured by the enemies two days ago near the border. We been tracking him to here now. I can see that they have him strung up on the high beam in the pen. His lowe limbs are attached to the chains on the ground. So the Grizzle is not allowed to sit or sleep but stand all day. That is torturing to the humans.

I signaled Rat to take to the higher ground and on my signal take out the Outposts. Rhono was to move nearer to lay us cover fire during the attack. Seth as usual slitter off on his own recon and attack. I never hed him back as he is good at that maverick role. Lizzie set up cover fire to my left in case anyone comes in.

"What about me?" The Man has to asked.

"Unpacked your gear. I need those missiles for the launcher." I did not bother to see how he unpacks it as I am already setting the launcher for shoulder release of its missiles. The darned thing weigh heavy but it will hold on my large shoulder.

"Missile Set One in the bay." That means its a go for the mission.

"Goodbye, General."He is a broken Grizzle and its best he goes down with his pride intact. No one will know he was captured and displayed on those vids for the others to see. We, in the Alien Trooper do not condone capture by the enemy. We prefer death to that, as the torture by the enemies can be very painful, and humiliating. I sighted the launcher and pressed the trigger.

Missile One is away, and I still have three more rounds inside this launcher.

I sighted the Command Post as the first missile ripped the pen apart into a blazing inferno. Missile Two launched and I am onto the Outposts. Outpost One has been neutralized by Rat and he is mopping up Outpost Two. I took out the two outpost before I discarded the launcher. Rhono is laying down cover fire to those who were enthusiastic to run for our position.

"Easy Squad recalled to Rendezvous Point. Mission completed." We reached the RP coordinates to continue on our long trek back to our line. Man has to voiced his opinion then.

"You shot dead the General, How could you? I will have you reported for Court Martial." The human never saw Seth's move on him. He was dead in two clicks and we all got up to march back. I told Lizzie to take point while the rest followed on slow and easy.

"Seth, when you are fully ingested; join up." He is a chomper when its comes to food. With his jaws stretched, all he could do was nod at my request. "Rat, stay watch over him. He would need maybe a day to ingest."

"Why me?" Rat has to be the one to asked.

"Because you are next if Seth come to any trouble." I always like to joke with Rat-Daniel as he is so gullible.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...