Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Three Scene Ten Sub-Scene One

 

Act Three

Scene Ten

Sub-Scene One

I am defeated.

 

Mark Antony arrived at the small inlet on the coast. It was almost empty of his boys, with the few surviving boats moored there. Earlier, it was piled with boats on the open sea. The tides were not able to ripple at the inlet; they were held at bay at sea. King Canute would have been proud to see the tides obedient then, but the tides still flowed in regardless. Like the fuck, the climax will end with the limp.

“The sea itself tells me not to halt the tides. My lieutenant also told me the same: do not fight the tide. It shames me now that I did not listen.” Mark Antony, the defeated leader, addressed the boys there.

“Boys, Napoleon once said, He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.” Mark quoted the great leader.

“Yup, till he met the Englishman. Damn froggies they were.” Trust the English boys to speak out.

“He was Irish. My mother told me so.” The Irish spoke up.

“I thought he made those Wellington boots." Another roused up the mood.

“He did not. It was his tailor who did it. Toby was the name. Cut the tassel and shorten it.” The Welsh called out. “So, he would not pee on them.”

“Thank you, boys, but I am going to talk about anyone’s boots. We were booted today. Boys, I was so overtaken by night that I have lost my way forever in this world. However, I have a ship full of gold. Take the gold and divide it amongst yourselves. Abandon me and make peace with Caesar. He may give his boots.” Mark summed it up for the boys.

“Abandon you? Not us. We are your boys.” The boys declared then.

“I have abandoned myself, and by retreating, I have set an example for other cowards to run away and turn their backs on their enemies.” Mark continued his call.

“If there is a violent riot tonight in Philadelphia, then we would not really know if it is in protest or celebration. But I can tell you for sure, Jonas’ mother-in-law is there, and he has not paid a cent to her.” One voiced out. “God bail my friend out before he is made into a cheesecake.”

The boys there roared. Jonas was popular as he was their mascot for the battle.

Boys, please lend me your ears. I have resolved to follow a course of action that does not require your assistance. Be gone now.” Mark looked to the boys, whose years of service to him were too numerous to count. 

“My treasure is in the harbour. Take it.” Mark sighed. “I will be glad if you do. If you were to join Caesar, please do shoot me in the head when you see me.”

“Boys, be gone. I will write letters for you to some friends of mine that will clear your path if you decide to go somewhere else. Please, do not be sad or say that you do not want to do this. Take your cue from my despair. You should abandon someone who abandons himself.”

"Go to the ships immediately! I will give you the ships and the treasure. Leave me alone, please, for a little while. I ask you: do not protest; leave me, please. I have lost the right to command you, so I can only ask you. I will see you depart safely.”

The boys took to their feet and walked to the ship. Mark took off soon after. He went to Egypt.

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...