Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Four Scene Six Sub-Act One

 

Act Four

Scene Six

Sub-Scene One

Caesar’s boys, new and old.

 

There are many reasons for the boys to desert their boss in battle. It could be their rights, as anyone else will vote for their leader. Or the resentment or fear of death, or even the fear of retaliation. Even lovers called off their relationship for more flimsy reasons.

One man’s meat is poison, as is another man’s meat.

Enobarbus approached the boys who were once with Mark Antony. He was unsure if it would make him feel proud or stupid to face those familiar faces. He stood up before them and spoke.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." Enobarbus quoted Tolstoy. “You may not know him, but his words sounded in my head. Mark Antony was a great boss, but he soon goof at it. He wanted to change the world, which I agreed to follow, but he did not change his mind on the Queen. I disagreed with that.”

Enobarbus scanned the expressions of the gathered boys.

“Because of the Queen, he led our friends to die for no reason but his own to be devoted to her. She turned her fleet, and he left with her, leaving our friends to die.” That drew the murmurs from the gathered. They all had friends or relatives who died in that battle.

“I came, I saw, and I joined Caesar. He wants to end the war. He wants to stop Mark Antony. He wants to save our lives.” Enobarbus words were received with cheers.

“Well spoken.” Enobarbus heard the praise from his side. He turned to look and saw it was Dolabella, a lieutenant with Caesar. The latter was once an artillery officer, survived the war with a limp on the right leg, and claimed that a shrapnel hit his right knee.

“Caesar is here.” Dolabella whispered to Enobarbus. The latter looked to the rear and saw that the younger boss was approaching with Agrippa. He smiled; the old man was still at the battle front.

“Go forth, Agrippa.” Caesar leaned to whisper towards Agrippa. “Let us begin the battle. My desire is for Anthony to be captured alive. Let our boys know. They may get overzealous to kill him.”

“Caesar, I will.” Agrippa turned and left. Caesar stood next to Enobarbus. He nodded towards Enobarbus and then looked at the group.

“I am Caesar.’ The crowd cheered him on.

“I am younger than most of you.” That made the people there laugh.

“The time is near when we will have peace throughout the world. Enough killing. If this day proves successful, there will be peace across the east coast here. You can all go home to your family.” Caesar smiled, and the people gathered there cheered him once more. He saw the messenger jousting past the crowd to reach him.

“Caesar, Mark Antony has arrived at the city limit.”

“Go to Agrippa. Tell him to take Mark Antony's former boys and place them on the front lines. That way, Mark Antony will feel like he is hurting himself.” Caesar gave his order before he addressed the gathered.

“The time to secure peace is now.” Caesar said. “The Lieutenant will lead you all.”

The gathered all roared, and soon Agrippa returned to lead them to battle. Caesar took leave with Dolabella, leaving Enobarbus standing there, leaderless, and stupid.

“Have I done something terrible today? I deserted Mark Antony. For what?” Enobarbus sighed. "Once, when Mark Antony was serving Julius Caesar, he went to Judea and persuaded the great Caesar's side to abandon his other allies. They won the war, and Caesar hanged him for his efforts.”

“The lieutenant of Herod, Candidius, and the others who abandoned Herod found employment with Mark Antony, but they aren't trusted as loyal men. They are like vipers in the pit.” Enobarbus sighed. “I accuse myself of getting into the pit now. I will never be happy again.”

Another messenger arrived.

“Boss, Mark Antony has sent you all your treasure, along with additional treasure from his own supply. The messenger came while I was on guard duty, and he is now at your tent, unloading the treasure from the truck he left there.”

“Treasures of mine? I ……” Enobarbus was silent for a while. He has accumulated much wealth serving Mark Antony, but he has no heir to hand it to. His dead wife died at his hands. His children, if they are still his, deserted him for faraway places. He had thought of Father Sebastian, but the priest told him that tainted wealth is better thrown away than fed to the parishioners.

“I give the treasure to you.” Enobarbus looked at the messenger.

“Do not mock me, boss." I am telling you the truth.”

“I am telling you the truth. See to it that the treasure leaves with you now. Take it from here. And forget the war. Buy yourself a new life.” Enobarbus said.

“I must see to my duties, or I would have done it myself.”

“Your duties, Boss, are to...”

“To have Caesar behave as magnificently as a god. Where mine had failed.” Enobarbus sighed. “Now go before I shoot you.”

The messenger left. Enobarbus looked at the departing messenger. He then offered a prayer.

“Father Sebastian, I am the most villainous person on earth, and I know this better than anyone else. Or maybe God knew, but he did not tell you yet.”

“I had a boss named Mark Antony. He was an endless source of generosity; he laden me with much wealth. How would you have rewarded me for being more faithful to him than to God? This breaks my heart. It beats rapidly these days, or it will break it faster than I thought. But I feel that the thoughts of meeting God may be next.”

“Before I do, could I possibly fight against Mark Antony? I cannot bear it. I loved him like my own son. Yes, Father Sebastain, fathers do kill their own sons, but I am not such a father. I loved Mark Antony. I was told to come here by the devil. I am a sinner.”

“I will go find a ditch where I can die. The foulest kind of death is most suitable for the foul thing I have done at the end of my life.” Enobarbus held his right hand over his chest and left.


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...