Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Four Scene One Sub-Scene One

 Act Four

Scene One

Sub-Scene One

"Into Thy hands, O Lord." Henry V, Shakespeare.

 

In the library, Caesar read the letter sent by Mark Antony. Agrippa and Maecenas arrived then. “

“Mark Antony calls me "boy" and taunts me as if he had the power to beat my forces out of Egypt. He whipped my messenger with rods, and I had sent Thidias home to rest. He suffered hard for me.”

“Mark Antony challenges me to single combat, Caesar against Antony. He thinks that we will fight like gentlemen. He thinks we are alike to Henry Bolingbroke and Thomas Mowbray in Richard II. I stand to say.”

“Let them lay by their helmets and their spears, and both return to their chairs again. Withdraw with us, and let the trumpets sound while we return these dukes to what we decree.”

“Draw near and list what, with our council, we have done. For that, our kingdom’s earth should not be soiled.”

“With that dear blood which it has fostered, and for our eyes do hate the dire aspect of civil wounds ploughed up with a neighbour’s sword.”

Caesar took the bow on those words he had said: “Richard II, Shakespeare.”

“Honor between gentlemen it was then, and the King stepped in to avert the duel. If I were to duel with Mark Antony, who would intervene? You?” Caesar looked at Agrippa.

“You perhaps?” Caesar, in turn, looked at Maecenas. “I trust not.”

“The Queen, perhaps, for she fears I will kill the older man. I may just do so. Let that old scoundrel know that that is not how I plan to die. Not by the dagger or sword. Perhaps a gun shot, but it must be well aimed to kill me first, or I will shoot back. Just as I had just shot Old Jacobs in the left knee for denying me his share of the whiskey trade, The old fool brought the bottle to the meeting while I was armed with my gun. I do not fight anymore. I will take what is mine.”

“Caesar, let us handle Mark Antony.” Agrippa looked at the boss. “You need to see to Octavia’s health.”

“No, I will deal with Mark Antony. Do send a mocking reply to his challenge. Tell him, I will see him in hell soon.” Caesar was cursed out. “Re-write that. I will see him go to hell.”

“Caesar, you must suspect that when a man so great starts to rage like this, his defeats have put him on the verge of collapse.” Agrippa cautions Caesar.

“In Homer’s Iliad, Achilles has a unique way of dealing with Patroclus’s death. Initially, he was filled with grief. He soon developed a thirst for vengeance against the one who instigated his comrade’s death, Hector. Achilles was further enraged at Hector because not only did he strip Patroclus’s body of Achilles’s armour, but he now actually has the audacity to wear it. So, when the battle begins again, Achilles rides forth with his men, determined to avenge his slain comrade. But Hector was warned by the gods: Stay away from Achilles, or else he will meet his fate.”

Hector took that advice, and for a moment, Achilles was robbed of his chance of vengeance. It was later that Achilles had another chance to take his vengeance. He was clothed in armour made by the gods. That time, Achilles was victorious, and Hector fell to his spear. Achilles, still in his rage, proceeded to desecrate and abuse Hector’s body, striving to exact more pain for the death of his comrade.”

“Anger like love; it consummates your body and soul. What Achilles was doing was to deal with his friend’s death the only way he knows how. He is a soldier, raised in the heat of battle and suckled on rage. He knew nothing else but rage and violence. Killing and mutilating Hector was justified to him because it was sating his emotional rage, filling the gap left by Patroclus with hate and vengeance rather than friendship. This is considered perfectly acceptable by those around him, because they act the same way.”

“Mark Antony wants the same. I will deny him that.” Caesar smiled. “I am not Achilles. Spare me that. Do not give him any time to regroup, but promptly use his anger to your advantage. An angry man never takes proper precautions.”

“We can handle him by ourselves.” Maecenas offered.

“I intend to fight the last of our many battles. Among our boys, there are many who served Mark Antony only a short time ago—enough to capture him. See that this is done, and give the boys a feast. We have enough food in our stores to do it, and they have earned it, even if it is a waste of resources. Poor Antony! You are doomed.” Caesar smiled.

Later, out of the mansion, Agrippa asked Maecenas.

“Who is Richard II? What is his name?”

“A king, I think. Maybe he was from the Roundtable too. There were many of them. I only read the newspaper.”

“Pompous lot they all are.” Agrippa smiled.

 

 

 


No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...