Monday, September 9, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Three Scene Thirteen Sub-Scene Two

 

Act Three

Scene Thirteen

Sub-Scene Two

Caesar’s crowing

 

“What does Caesar want?” The Queen asked.

“Please listen to my message in private.” Thidias said.

“Enobarbus is a friend of mine. Say what you have to say.” The Queen looked at Enobarbus. 

“It may be that they are friends with Antony.” Thidias looked at Enobarbus.

“Antony needs as many friends as Caesar, sir, and if things are very bad, even we would not be of any use to him. If Caesar is willing, our boss will willingly be his friend. As for you, you know that we obey whomever Antony obeys, and that is even towards Caesar.” Enobarbus looked towards Thidias. 

“So be it. Here is the situation, then, oh most renowned Queen of Egypt: Caesar asks that you not concern yourself with your current situation, given that you know his reputation as a generous man.” Thidias bowed to the Queen. “He knows that you took Antony as your lover not because you loved him, but because you feared him.”

“Oh! Do I? I thought it was his prick I feared.” The Queen laughed.

“Therefore, he pities the damage done to your honour as a blemish you were forced to endure, not as something you deserved.” Thidias relayed the machine.”

“Blemished? No, I giggle like a virgin. And moan louder too.” The Queen laughed, then she mellowed down. “Caesar is a god, and he knows what is just. I did not yield to Antony voluntarily; I was merely overpowered. I was in love. Love conquers all.” 

“I will ask Antony to make sure that that is true.” Enobarbus said to himself. “Mark Antony, if you hear this, heed it well. You have fallen so low that we must abandon you to your disgrace, for even those who love you most are deserting you.”

“I must leave, Queen. Bad headache.” Enobarbus took his leave without waiting for approval.

“Shall I tell Caesar what you want from him? For he likes to be asked to give.” Thidias continued his message. “It would please him greatly if you would show your support by appealing to his power. But it would make him truly happy to hear from me that you had abandoned Antony and turned to him, the ruler of the world, for shelter.”

“What's your name?” The Queen asked the messenger.

“My name is Thidias.” The messenger gave his name. “I am the messenger of...”

“Most kind messenger named Thidias, tell this to Caesar as my reply: I kiss his conquering hand. Tell him I am ready immediately to lay my crown at his feet and to kneel there. Tell him that I will obey him and let him decide the fate of Egypt.” The Queen told the messenger.

“That is the most honourable course of action. When wisdom fights against fortune, so long as wisdom does everything it can, no bad luck can defeat it. Give me permission to show my faithfulness by kissing your hand.” Thidias leaned forward. The Queen offered her right hand.

“Julius Caesar, father of your master Octavius, while he thought about conquering kingdoms, often put his lips on my unworthy hand and rained kisses on it.” The Queen smiled. “He claims it will consolidate his strength to battle the enemy.”

Mark Antony and Enobarbus returned to meet the Queen. He saw Thidias kiss the Queen’s hand.

“Kisses? By thundering Jove! Who are you, my man?” Mark Antony was enraged.

“I obey the commands of Caesar, who is the most powerful and who most deserves to have his commands obeyed.” Thidias pulled him away and looked at Mark Antony.

“You will be whipped for such insolence.” Enobarbus approached the messenger. “The Queen is scared of Egypt.”

“Queen, how could you degrade yourself so low? To be kissed by a minion of Rome. You acted like a slut.  No, you are a whore! Now, I lose all my authority. Not long ago, when I cried "Ho!" the other gangs’ leaders would dart forward like boys towards a meal and cry, "What do you wish?". Now you are even the”

“Do you have no ears? I am still Mark Antony.” Mark shouted out in anger. “Take this scoundrel out of here and whip him.”

The servants rushed in and took leave with Thidias.

“Madness, Boss. He is Caesar's messenger. He holds influence. If we hurt him, Caesar will rage.” Enobarbus tried to reason with Mark Antony.

“Who is he? Even if there were twenty of the greatest monarchs who paid tribute to Caesar, if I found them to be so intimately familiar with the hand of this woman here, they would be whipped too.”

“Mark Antony, this will not end today.” Thidias shouted from the corridor.

“Whip him and bring him back again. This scoundrel of Caesar's will take a message to him for me.” Mark shouted.

“Woman, you were half-dead before I met you! Ha! Have I abandoned my home in Rome, neglected the chance to beget a family of legitimate children with a noble woman, only to be abused by someone who bestows favours on servants?” Mark Antony looked at the Queen.

“My love…...” The Queen looked at Mark.

“You have always been a fickle woman. But when we grow set in our vicious ways, what misery is it? …… The wise God closes our eyes, clouds our good judgment through our own bad behaviour makes us love our mistakes, and laughs at us as we bring about our own ruin.” Mark laughed. “My life is ruined.”

“Mark Antony, is this what you think of me now?” The Queen took her anger.

“When I met you, you had been used up by the dead Caesar. No, you had been used up even more by Genius Pompey. Even by other men, too, that you wantonly went after in lustful moments that gossip never picked up on. Who dares to speak at the Queen, but behind her back, they gossip through the night?” Mark walked to the table, where he took the glass in his left hand.

“How many times has this glass served others? Washed, dried, and then used to serve once more.” Mark threw the glass at the wall. It broke on impact. “Broken you are. For I am sure that although you can guess how a mild woman ought to behave, you have never been pleasant to yourself but pleased by others.”

“How dare you speak like that?” The Queen shouted. “I am the Queen.”

 

 

 


 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...