Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act Four Scene Two Sub-Scene One

 

Act Four

Scene Two

Sub-Scene One

Et tu, Brute

 

“Give me your pardon, sir. I have done you wrong, but pardon’s as you are a gentleman.” Mark quoted Hamlet’s words towards Laertes. “Caesar is no gentleman. I will not accept his pardon.”

“Pardon me, boss. What did you say?” Enobarbus was with Mark in the library. They were there with the Queen.

“I was just talking. Caesar would not fight me in single combat.” Mark asked Enobarbus. “Why not? He may say, Et tu, Brute, when I shoot him. And I will say, I told you I would do it.”

Enobarbus kept his silence. To him, Mark Antony was defeated or deranged, but his loyalty to Mark Antony was still there.

“Caesar estimates that, being twenty times better off than you, his forces outnumber yours twenty to one.”

“He thinks. He is still young. I will fight by land and by sea. Either I will come out alive, or I will restore my ruined reputation by dying honourably in battle. Will you fight bravely?” Mark looked at Enobarbus.

“Bravery, yes. Honourably, I am not sure, but I will strike and cry." Enobarbus smiled. His honour was long discarded when he shot the others in the back. It was dishonourable to do so by the conduct of war, but he felt that his survival was more of a concern. He shot men, women, and even children. Not everybody was brave enough to shoot a child, but he was.

“Well said. Come on! Call my household servants. Ask them to bring food and drinks.” Mark called out. Four servants appeared, carrying food and drinks. They set it up at the available table.

“Let us be generous with the food at tonight's meal.” Mark invited the servants to the table. He greeted each of them personally.

“Give me your hand. You have been very honest. I liked honest people. You have served me well, and you have had kings for your companions.” Mark smiled.

“Why is Antony acting like this?” The Queen whispered to Enobarbus.

“It is one of his odd quirks that shows he is upset.” Enobarbus whispered back. “He sometimes shoots them in the head.”

“Well, my good fellows, wait on me at dinner tonight. Do not skimp when you pour my wine, and treat me as reverently as you did when my empire was also my servant, like you, and obeyed my commands.” Mark told the servants.

“What does he mean?” The Queen whispered towards Enobarbus.

“He means to make his servants weep.” Enobarbus sighed

“Take care of me tonight. It may be the last time you do so. It may be that you will not see me anymore, or if you do, that you will see only my disfigured ghost.”

“Perhaps tomorrow you will serve another master. I look upon you as if I were saying goodbye.”

“My honest friends, I am not turning you away. Rather, I will stay with you until death, like a master who is attached to your faithful service. Take care of me tonight; I ask no more, and may the gods bless you for it!”

Those words of Mark denied the servants from enjoying their feast. They began to weep, fearing death was upon them.

“Boss, what do you mean, sir, upsetting them like this? Look, they weep, and I, like an ass, have watery eyes too. For shame, do not make us as emotional as women.”

“Ha, ha, ha! Et tu, Brute... That was what Julius said when he was about to die. His friends killed him.” Mark smiled. “Curse me if I meant to say that! May the gods bless the men for weeping! My tender-hearted friends, I did not mean to make you so upset. I spoke to comfort all of you. I am not Julius Caesar. I will not be killed by friends. Old friends and now enemies, perhaps, but never the lot of you.”

“I asked you to keep the night bright by burning torches. You should know, my dear friends, that I have high hopes for tomorrow, and I will lead you to a battlefield where I expect to live victoriously rather than die honourably.”

“Boss, I am a servant. Not a hitman.” One of the servants said,

“Oh, yes, you are right. You cannot hold a gun as well as you do with a jug. Never mind; I will find others. Drink up, friends. We will leave you here and go our own way to supper. Come on, and drink away your cares.” Mark, too, to leave the chamber.

“I guess we are going to leave then.” The Queen looked at Enobarbus.

“Et tu, Brute...” Enobarbus smiled.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...