Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Dante VII Canto XXVIII Scene II

 Canto XXVIX

Eight Terrace; God and Man.

Scene I

“Man-made the mistake of committing original sin and that for this his stay here has been cut short, as he exchanges frank laughter and sweet sport for lamentation and anxiousness. Man thinks himself to be superior, and even they dictate the ancient texts to their words. Why even God is a man and not a lady and the Goddesses all ranked below God.” The lady went on with her ranting of the role of the lady.

“My ---No, he is the emperor and even he commands me while we are seated next to each other on the throne. He concurs with other men on the matters of the nation lest he was to tell the others, that it was me who told him, divide and conquer. His division was only my legs when he wanted it.”

“Gawd! I hated it. Now you know why I chastised you here as a ---virgin, for I needed you pure when you are purged, but you lost that cherry a long time ago. No surgery will replace that truly feeling. You wouldn’t know, I guess. Pardon my --- crude acknowledgment.”

“Stop it, Beatrice. I would --- had been pure towards you but you were denying me of your love. You even told me to wed Casella for she was wanting me more.” Dante snapped out.

“Yes, I did. I could see the thirst inside you. You don’t need a body scan to note your lustful intentions. You were like ---the water in the stream here; the need to flow. Gawd! You were so obvious and when I re-directed you or was it commanded you, you went off like the burst of wind for her or in her words; it was a mild breeze.”

“You ---” Dante was lost for words. Intellectually, he could argue on logic and coding but the emotional issues, he was a lost lamb among the sheep.

“Don’t despair, Dante. Let me relate you some facts during your journey.”

“One, besides Casella, did you see any ladies on the journey? None, I presumed. All the ones you met are there any ladies? None, I presumed. Did you ever question any of that? No, I presumed.” Beatrice looked at Dante. “Was it because we were not ---noticeable?”

That question by Beatrice was well supported by the protruding chest from her.

“Hold it there, Beatrice. When have we diverted from the issue of this virtual realm to that of gender?” Dante asked. “The issue was debated a long time ago like the twenty-first century, and it was acknowledged that it took another century for it to be accepted wholesome but the underlying acceptance soon eroded not in public but the undercurrent remained there. It’s in us---”

“Man’s coding or affixed to their DNA, like the myth woman was created from a bone of Man. Its absurdity.” Beatrice refused to accept that.

“Look at this place although it’s a virtual realm, the growth here originates from this garden, as in the perceived Garden of Eden, not only Adam and Eve were created there but the living plants and source of water was from there. It's peaceful. Whenever this heavenly wind strikes a plant, it releases some seeds into the air; these are carried into the other hemisphere (the northern), where they might land in the soil and sprout. That is why,” Beatrice explained, “You shouldn’t be surprised if he sees plants growing where no seeds can be seen. They come from here.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Dante was getting anxious to move on.

“I am telling you, that I control everything. I shared with you for I still love you. I want you back, Dante. All that is here maybe the Garden of Eden for poets like you.” Beatrice smiled. “Just be mine and mine alone.”

“You are not only mad but --- I am lost for words. I will challenge your virtual realm. I will de-activate it and release those you imprisoned there. I will ---”

“Words, my love. Words are always yours to give. I am offering to you a new life; one built to your preference.” Beatrice looked at Dante. “You have a choice. As what the real poet Dante had then. There are two pure and changeless fountains as I created them for you. It's Lethe and Eunice. Drink one to purge your sins. And then drink the other to restore the good memories.”

“Dante the poet never completed those passages though he did reference it in his poem.” Dante looked at Beatrice. “For me, his incomplete words then were because he was not done then. He was not to be led like a lamb to the shed but choose to roam free. Dante the Poet resisted the urge to forget and only be restored ---partially. His view differs not from mine; we are all of the free wills, and free we will be forever.”

Dante turned to look at Fabricius who had listened in and the other smile.

“Spoken like a true poet --- no, a pioneer in the works. I hold my admiration for you, Virgil. You are the one which all of us in this skill set. We are enamored by your value.”

 “Beati quorum tecta sunt peccata!” Beatrice called out. (Translated from Latin; Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven.). She turns and begins coyly walking along the riverbank, against the current, like a woodland nymph. Dante follows, shortening his footsteps to match hers on the parallel trail on the other side of the stream.

“Why do you ---” Dante was to ask.

“Even your foe had received you wholeheartedly and why not myself?” Beatrice looked at him. “Isn’t that the works of your journey through Hell and Purgatory? Do you feel lifted by that?”

“Say no more, Dante. Behold what you see on our walk.” Beatrice walked on. Before they’ve gone more than a hundred paces, the bank curves so that they’re facing east. At this point, she gets Dante’s attention by calling him “brother” and telling him to keep his eyes and ears peeled. Right on cue, a brilliant light illuminates the forest. Dante thinks lightning has struck but quickly realizes it can’t be lightning because it lasts far too long to be just a flash.

Just as his brain is working at its most frantic pace, a lovely melody wafts through the air.

“It’s so ravishingly no, it more than that when one cannot describe what is beyond beauty? Look at those trees, the abundance of fruits. All appealing waiting to be plucked and eaten.”

“Is it, Dante? Was that what Adam said when he saw Eve before or after the apple was bitten? Like the breasts of mine here; you would like to suckle on them as you did on your mother’s. All of them wanted their breasts to milk from. Adam did ---” Beatrice looked at Dante. “Don’t be bashful. All men are alike. They think we flaunt our beauty towards them. Like --- a vixen perhaps or something to power-obsessed them?”

“I ---” Dante was as usual lost for words.

“If you recall what I had said, women are needed by man’s consent. We are discarded without a second glance. Am I not right, Fabricius?” Beatrice looked towards Fabricius. “Even at Paradise, it wields the same affliction.”

“Stop it, Beatrice. Please stop ---- you are killing me. Why are you so adamant that we looked to you as ---?” Dante was upset.

“As one with you. I dislike men for that.” Beatrice smiled. “I will be seeing you, Dante. We will see who rules Paradise. Step into your last level of dream state. If you survive this one, then I will make you the new God.”

With that Beatrice was gone. All that was left was the garland of flowers there. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...