Saturday, December 31, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 21

 21

“Who allows the King to be under the guard of the Picts?” That call came from an unexpected figure. The meeting was at the forest where the Anglo-Saxon leader usually meets Lord Vortigern. Both leaders have stood there under the canopies of the trees but their vigilance was on the clearing ahead. Both may be allies but they still harbor distrust.

“It was my call, Hengist.” Lord Vortigern replied to the Anglo-Saxon. “Your war with us had ended and I want to end it also with the Picts.”

“Our war had not ended. It was a temporary truce with you.” Hengist reminded the Lord.

“Whatever you may name it. I am more concerned about the building of the Picts. More so when I was informed that Picts are in alliance with the Danes.” Lord Vortigern explained. “Our war will need to sideline for now.”

“I hold no alliance with the Picts or the Danes.” Hengist spat on the ground. “Not since Dun Nechtain had we ever forgiven the Picts.”

“Nor of your clans have on the Danes since the last war at Wessex.” Hengist reminded the other of the hatred for both. “Are you now working with them?”

“I am not. I brought the Picts to the land here, for I am in need to know their plans with the Danes.” Lord Vortigern explained in depth.”I need the enemies near to me, and when they strike I will know.”

“You harbor a lot of mistrust, Britton.” Hengist looked at the Lord.

“It’s for you to consider while I parley with all the enemies of mine.” Lord Vortigern grew weary then. “For the Picts, I brought them in as mercenaries.”

“And they now guard the King?” Hengist laughed. “Why not us? We are your mercenaries once before and fought your battles.”

“I have my reasons, Hengist. Don’t push the issue with me.” Lord Vortigern was getting upset then. “Be gone now. I need to do my duties as the Lord.”

Hengist laughed at the dismissal and took his leave. Lord Vortigern took to his mount with his mind on the task that was done. He recalled his meeting with the leader of the Picts, Gille Callaet.

“I thought it will be brave of you to ride in alone, Lord Vortigern.” The Picts’ leader met the Lord at the appointed spot by the stream that was the understood border of the two.

“I am a cautious person.” Lord Vortigern had kept on his sword at the belt. He studied the other leader who was dressed in the fur coat over the iron mesh tunic, with the short sword at the waist belt, and held a long-handed mallet. Gille Callaet was bearded like the sea-faring warriors and his voice roared when heard.

“As any wolf will fear in the lair of the bear.” Gille bellowed out with a burst of loud laughter.

“Are you the wolf or bear?” Lord Vortigern looked at the other.

“I am the bear with my frame that overlooked yours. So tell me, wolf. Why are we meeting here? Our battles are fewer with the coming of the cold season.”

“I am calling for peace with you. There is no reason for us to battle when we can be allies.” Lord Vortigern replied. “I will extend my offer to you to be mercenaries.”

“As you did with the Anglo-Saxons. I can see that you have great wealth to offer such services. Perhaps we should take it for ourselves.”

“We will probably share our blade with your blood.” Lord Vortigern sounded out the reply in gest.

“That remains to be seen. The bear may not be crafty like the wolf, but it can be dangerous to rouse the bear.” Callaet smiled. “Enough of the idle talks. Assuming we are yours to command, how will we be employed?”

It did not take long for the Picts to be sharing the table at the hall, bearing their waves of laughter with the Lords, and on a few occasions the grim stares across it. The King may be present but it was Lord Vortigern who impressed on the Picts the hospitality. Such hospitality was overbearing that even the Anglo-Saxons when present had doubts about their roles there.

“I called on Callaet to honor his services with the personal guards here in the castle.” Lord Vortigern made that call at the gathering. It was met with murmurs from some of the Lords; an issue that they were not consulted on.

“Aye, Lord Vortigern. We will assign a hundred of our best to be here. Let no others harm the King with our watch.” Callaet called out but the irk stares of the Lords and Anglo-Saxons were unavoidable.

“I stand to…” Uther was there when the call was made and his words were cut off.

“Be assured, young prince. Your King is our King now.” Callaet snapped in. “We won’t let harm befall him.:”

“I …” Uther was interrupted then by Lord Vortigern.

‘Uther,” The call by the name was a surprise to the young prince. “I am taking the personal guard of the King. The guests of ours will be to here as …our guests.”

Uther looked to the King who was seen brooding at the throne. It was rumored that the King was indebted to the Lord, as said by many. The King was said to rely on the Lord for guidance then.

“As it declared.” Lord Vortigern raised the goblet to firm the arrangement. The feast went on but the concern of Callaet reached Lord Vortigern’s ears.

“Leave the young cub to me, Callaet. I am the big bad wolf.” Lord Vortigern assured the Picts. “Have your hall ready to receive a part of the wealth.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...