Sunday, December 11, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 16

 16

“Hengist, I was told that you allowed your warriors to be … sacrificed.” The young chief had confronted the leader of the raiders. His name was Adel, son of the deceased Magus. The older Chief died in one of the battles at the border. The young warrior replaced his father as chief.

“Allowed? No, young chief. If your father was still around, he will know of my …. sacrifice.” Hengist snapped at the other. He was facing the gathering of the chiefs and was not to be humiliated. He looked at the other expressions and saw some of them were in doubt.

“We fared well in our raids this season. We took what was needed to fill the hunger of the clan.” Hengist stressed the need of the clan. “At the onset of the raids, we were met by the enemies but my conference with their Lord had us to do our raids without much …. Sacrifice of the warriors.”

It was the arrangement of Hengust with Lord Vortigern to coordinate their moves to minimize their confrontation.

“We had many good seasons with that Lord, and continue to do so,” Hengist added.

“Yet, the tributes as you named it was not enough.” Adel cut in. “We resume our…”

“And we did, but I thought of a way to get their attention. When we ceased our raids, we become …lazy, and needed the battles. Battles we did may have given us victories but we lost many warriors. I took to meet the Lord when our presence was felt by them. They rode with them a huge army, and it was time to parley for terms. I did as like before got us more tributes and also some bloodletting sports to give back our pride. We did not lose but gained from it.”

“Why the sacrifice?” Adel pressed on the matter. “Bruno…”

“Bruno was a fool. He was greedy for more than what we agreed on. I told him to back off on the raids, but he relented. It was his folly that he attack Lord Anvil. He was outnumbered…”

“No, he was not. He was not reinforced when needed/” Abel cut in. “I was to ride out but you forbade me.”

“As I should. If you had ridden out, you may not stand here now.” Hengist sounded out the young warrior. “Lord Anvil was reinforced by a bigger army then.”

“Heinrich, you rode with me in many battles. Was I right to stop the young one here?” Hengist looked to the one he had as an ally.

“Hengist is right. We were to lose regardless.” Heinrich replied.

“Defeatist words!” Young Adel was still upset. “My father…To think that I once loved you like my father.”

“Your father died a warrior. He was just unlucky to get himself into the enemy's path.” Hengist cut in. “I was there with your father and he sacrificed for me. He told me to ride to safety while he defended the flank. Ask Franz, He was there with us. Your father told me to guide you, Young Adel.”

The young warrior looked way before he spat at the ground.

“I will no longer ride with the clans here.” Abel stormed off. Hengist faced the gathered to read their expressions. They were still with him as their leader. He then called for the ceremony to be performed for the successful raids.

“Hengist, the young one is …” Hengist heard the whispers of Horsa.

“He is a young cub. Let him grow for now.” Hengist whispered. “Give him a full moon and then arrange an accident. Let him meet his father then. We need to do more for Bruno. His soul is tormented by us. Offer some sacrifices to him for the next nights to come.”

“Alas, he is one of the many we had…” Horsa was silenced by the other.

“The trees have ears that are bigger than your mouth. Keep silent.” Hengist looked to the skies. He could picture the expression of Bruno who was then surprised that no one came to his rescue. It was his call to Bruno to raid the village but he did not tell Bruno that Lord Anvil was there. The arrangement with Lord Vortigern was to avoid major battles but the call to kill Lord Anvil was heard.

“Kill Lord Anvil. He knows too much.” Lord Vortigern told Hengist. “I will put him down but he holds rehears of some which I am not able to influence. The new King is weak and to him was the reason to usurp me from the position as the King’s adviser.”

“He also knew of our alliance. He needs to be taken care of.” Hengist agreed. “I can do it if the opportunity presents itself to me.” It was all done with Lord Anvil asking to return to his castle on the pretext of seeing Lord Vortigern. He left with a small retinue of guards unknown then he was met by the Anglo-Saxons. It was swift and then the killers rode off.

The death of Lord Anvil rallied the others to battle on, but the Lord had his words to quell the rage then. He promised the Lord Anvil will be avenged. It was then he had to bring forth the killers to appease his army. It was an exchange of lives.

Magus was an exception. They were few and met the patrol of the enemy.

“Hengist, we are outnumbered. The horses are weary” Hengist was cautioned by the others. “We need to ride without the loads.”

“Nay, we fought hard for it. I will fight them while all of your ride on.” Hengist offered but Magus stepped in.

“Ride, Hengist. I am old and with ailments. I won’t last another season.  Let me die battling my enemy than on the bedding in my hall. Ride hard and take care of my son. He loves you.”

The call to flee was issued and Hengist live to ride for another day.

“Yes, I have taken care of your son, old friend, He will be by your side soon,” Hengist promised his friend. He then joined the others in the celebration.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...