Saturday, December 31, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 22

 22

“Strange bedfellows the Lord now held in his arms.” Lord Cornell spoke out at the feast at his castle, attended by the few Lords that were his allies. “I have never imagined that I will ever sit with them.”

“Aye, the King is weak, and instead of governing his throne, he purported to listen to the words of God.” One at the gathered commented.

“We are warriors. We cannot rely on God to assist us.” Lord Cornell looked to the gathered. “If the King is… weak…. Should we …”

“Your words are treacherous.” Lord Cornell was reminded of his loyalty.

“I am still loyal to the King. I am asking that the King I served be strong and influenced. The one who can be King will be of the previous King.” Lord Cornell looked for others to support his words. The gathered averted their stares but the nods of some could be seen.

“Uther or Aurelius?” That was the question raised.

The issue of the King was in Lord Vortigern’s mind. In his thought, King Constan accept his words on how to administrate the kingdom while the monk Gildas occupied the King with God’s learning but of late Constan was seen to be weaker and the other Lords challenged the Lord’s decision. His spies told him that some Lords are in conference to bring the young princes to replace the King.

Aurelius is well versed in the skills of the administration and proven as a warrior but his indulgence with the druids was of concern. While Constan was with the words of God, the younger was with the dark arts. Uther the youngest could be seen as the bigger threat for he was unknown due to his age but of late, he was improving his fighting skills. There were words on the youngest as relentless in his pursuit.

“But none I can trust to work with.” Lord Vortigern muttered. His army had doubled but was no match if the Lords combined to battle him. He looked to the fields outside. The mercenaries held no loyalty to words but the weight of the wealth in their hall.

“Lord Vortigern, I need to talk to you.” It was Gildas who approached him there interrupting his thoughts.

“And when was it you can access my chamber without my approval?” Lord Vortigern was upset the monk was able to come in unannounced.

“As the King’s adviser and your … conscience gave me the right to do so,” Gildas replied. “I come to speak to you on behalf of the King. Who guards the King now? Mercenaries? You might as well invite the demons to perch on the ramparts as guards.”

“Hold your tongue, monk. The guards are there to protect the King when none of our own can be trusted.” Lord Vortigern looked at the monk. “It was agreed by the Lords.”

“They are all fools. Mercenaries are as loyal as the water in the stream. During the dry season, they won’t be seen.” Gildas was upset.

it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.” Lord Vortigern quoted the verse on loyalty. ( 1 Corinthians 4:2) “Your words, monk. I found none among us ….now. Hence, I recruited the ones I can rely on with wealth.”

“Oh my God. You have truly diverted the good words of God. You are the Devil incarnate.” Gildas sneered at the Lord. “I shall confer with the King.”

“Do so, monk but bear in mind, you hold a mortal life.” Lord Vortigern reminded the monk. “Your passing may not be mourned by many. Not by Aurelius or Uther either.”

“Aurelius….” Gildas shifted to the other prince. “Yes, I need to find him. He spends too much time with the druid. The soothsayer of the dark professed of the King to come far too long to be tolerated.”

The monk left the chamber leaving the Lord to his thoughts but not for long. Another figure intrudes on his chamber.

“Lord Vortigern, I must bring it up with you. Our coins have been short again.” It was Calleat. Lord Vortigern was aware of the shortcomings for it was his intention. He feigned ignorance to the Picts.

“We have an understanding.” Calleat looked to the Lord. “Our dependents cannot go on hungry.”

“My apologies, Calleat. I will speak to the caretaker on the matter. It’s unfortunate that of late the treasury of the King was low and the contributions by the Lords had been delayed.”

“I am sure your wealth will suffice.” Calleat dangled the words to the Lord. “You held a huge tract of land.”

“I am the biggest than most, but with my army, their hunger cannot be ignored.” Lord Vortigern said solemnly. “I do take care of my own.”

“It will be better then if you are King,” Calleat spoke out his mind.

“Hush, Picts. Those are treacherous words here in this castle.” Lord Vortigern snapped out. “I am not the King.”

“I am not of your people and you are not King…as yet.” Calleat turned to leave.

“I cannot give you my best services without wealth at my hall.” Calleat voiced out loudly when leaving the chamber.

“And so you shall not.” Lord Vortigern muttered.

Those words of the Picts overheard by the servants soon spread to the Lords.

“The King will be in danger.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...