Sunday, December 11, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 17

 17

Uther sat by the wall opening of his father’s chamber brooding at the fields outside. The eldest was not to take over the chamber and left it as when his father had stayed there. There were rumors that the old King's soul was still there, and the servants feared it. Even guards were present outside the chamber as if the old King was alive.

“You are here, young one.” Gildas met the young prince there. “I noticed you come here often.”

“I do for it’s the one place I can remember the old King. And my father.” Uther continued his stare at the fields. “He used to stand here and look outside. He likes to look at the fields.”

“Yes, he did. Did he tell you why?” Gildas asked.

“He once told me that was his land,” Uther replied. “If he was not the King, he would have been a farmer. He likes to grow things there, like how he grew his kingdom.”

“He would have been a good farmer.” Gildas smiled. “It’s just the choices …”

“He did not kill those children. They were my friends too.” Uther defended his father. Despite what was said, Uther was close to his father, although he knew he will never be King. He was third in line.

“No, Uther…. Your father did not.” Gildas picked his words for the young prince. “It was …”

“Why are you here, Father Gildas?” Uther raised the subject.

“I…I saw you here and came in. More to it. I will be here daily to offer my prayers to the King to seek forgiveness from God for him.”

“The King needs no forgiveness. He is the King. Whatever he did was for the kingdom. He took nothing with him upon his death.” Uther turned to look at the monk. “If God were to judge him, he will be let off on his so-named sins.”

“Well said, my young one. You are defensive of your King.” Gildas praised the other. “You hold wisdom.”

“I may be young but have learned much from the King. He held great responsibilities first to his kingdom and then to his people.” Uther commented on the King. “My brother, Aurelius had the same. He needs the support of his brothers. And his Lords.”

“You heard our conversation between me and Lord Vortigern?” Gildas brought up the subject.

“When I was younger, I was ignored in the hall or chambers when many such conversations took place. I was never taken to …understand them. I did not for many seasons, but then I became more adept to listen in. There are many of us in this castle who held our views on the issues, but the King decides. As my father did, Aurelius will do so. Such is the influence of the King.”

“I can see the wisdom in the young prince, but hold your views, for it may be tempered with that of arrogance. The King needs to listen and …discuss the works of it. He is not alone, and alone he may falter in the action. The ears of the King shall listen but the voice of his will tell his advice to the others.”

“I am not Constan the King. I do not spend time talking to God and I have not seen his replies as yet.” Uther looked at Gildas. “If I am King, I will be more like my father. He made and held a Kingdom.”

Gildas looked at the young prince who he felt then was more like the father. Uther was not in the prayer sessions with the King. He prefers to be in the training of the skills than to seek God’s guidance. Unlike Constan, he was guided by his faith.

“It’s nice to speak to you, Uther. I need to be with the King now. Our prayer session is due.” Gildas turned to leave, but then he stopped mid-stride.

“If I may, young prince. Hold your tongue on what was heard. You need to be …”

“I fear no Lord or even one that is to be called by you. They are to serve the King and if they do not, the King will do what is needed.” Uther interjected on the other’s words. “I will not betray my King.”

Gildas kept his piece and left the chamber. Uther remained there and was interrupted by the alarm of intruders in the castle. Uther grabbed the sword by his father’s bedding and rushed out. The alarm came from the new King’s chamber. The guards were there to secure the chamber.

“How fair’s the King?” Uther asked.

“The King is unharmed. We caught the intruder at the table.” The leading guard told Uther. “He was one of Lord Anvil’s servants.”

Uther stepped into the chamber to see the King was changing his robe then. It was his prayer robe and assisted by his servants.

“How are you, my King?” Uther asked.

“I am fine. The wine spilled on the robe.” King Constan replied to Uther. “Where is the intruder?”

The servant who assaulted the King was brought forward. He was made to prostrate before the King.

“Why did you strike me?” King Constan asked.

“My Lord, Anvil was killed on your order. I have proof of it.: The one captured voiced out. “It was arranged …”

It was then an aide of Lord Vortigern who stabbed the servant in the back at the heart with his dagger.

“Die, you knave. How dare you strike the King?” The aide pushed the dagger in harder. The guards there grabbed the aide and pulled him aside. The intruder wounded by the fatal stabbing fell to the flooring uttering the name of the Lord. It was then Lord Vortigern arrived and looked to the King.’

“My King…”

“I am well, Lord Vortigern,” King Constan assured the other. “Your servant killed the intruder. He was one of Lord Anvil’s servants.”

“An assassin!” Lord Vortigern looked then at his aide.”Why is he detained?”

“He killed the intruder.” King Constan told the Lord. “I was to …”

“My Lord, the intruder struck at the King and deserved to die.” The aide called out. “I was protecting the King.”

“Release him.” Lord Vortiger called on the guards. “Take them all away. Clean the blood. Come with me, my King. We confer in another chamber.”

Lord Vortigern met the King in the adjacent chamber. He was to enquire further when Gildas stepped in.

“Are you fine, my King?” Gildas asked.

“The King is fine. His assassin was killed.” Lord Vortigern answered for the King.

“Intruder, Lord Vortigern. He was not armed. He had the jug of red wine.” The King corrected the Lord. “It was your aide who killed the intruder.”

“How are you, my King?” Gildas stepped in. “Are you well? You are trembling.”

“Yes, I am. He was killed in front of me. He was …” The King lost his composure then and uttered.

“I shall double the guards, my King.” Lord Vortigern told the King. “It will …”

“It was like …” The King recalled the Anglo-Saxon he killed. “I have taken a life.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...