Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Dante VI Canto XIX Scene III B

 The soul with the face downwards mumbled the reply.

“What prayers can you offer that I had not spoken myself. I have exhausted mine and there is no salvation for me left except to serve my penance.” The soul lying there said to Dante. “If you can see me, then you are not looking at the ground. Pray move on and let me alone. Let me be punished for my sin here.”

“God will forgive if you recognize your sin,” Dante said to the one lying there and it was then Virgil approached Dante.

“Poet, they are not in that realm. They are held prisoners here and ---” Virgil reminded Dante.

“I know. They are in pain and I am offering some solace.” Dante looked at Virgil. “Until---”

“Solace? There is no solace for me when I offered none to the ones I have punished. I am at life for a life or rather lives I had foregone of theirs.” The one laying down replied. “Do you forgive a mass murderer with a stroke of the pen? I have done it many times, and they did it for me. And towards me was the wealth and power of the dead. I had denied God of his existence. I had praised God to make his equal and none the better than his own Angels. I have once worn the crown to the kingdom, and accumulated wealth that filled the coffers of mine.”

“Who are you, Sir?” Dante asked.

“I am the Supreme Leader of the Federation, or rather was before I was toppled by the Generals. I am ---”

“You are ---” Dante was startled by the remarks. “But I --- we ---”

“Yes, my demise was not made known while the war waged had not ended. It was myself who disassociate with the Empire and annexed the states when I waged war. I had my vision to rule the world, and be called God.”

“And ---”

“My ambitions were taken over my Generals --- once trusted by myself, and sentenced to death. Here I may be laid for my sin. I who is the equal of God now a sinner in his realm.”

“How --- You are not--- Charles? ---” Dante was stopped by Virgil.

“You can’t tell, Poet. He may be who is or not. It’s not that we know much of the Supreme Leader besides his face. It’s not like we can tell if he is who is by the mole on his left buttock. I am just implying.” Virgil looked at Dante. “We are cautioned to not speak of it.”

Dante was upset. The one prisoner here that may change the war was there and he can’t do anything.

“Poet, he may not accept the truth. He is demented in his mind and ---soul. Some souls are lost eternally, never to be saved/never to reach salvation.” Virgil told Dante. It was then one who claimed to be Supreme Leader continued.

“My mortal life held no satisfaction. I desired more. I looked to the Empire as a token to take. I have waged the war and became the Supreme that rivaled God. It was then I looked at God and raised the questions in my lifetime. Why should we be mortals, when we can be Gods? Why can’t we rival God when we command the realm here? I held the means to destroy the realm five times over and millions had died on my command, and yet I am a mortal. I pursued my best to research the dimensions of God; Hell, Heaven, and even the Angels. They did it and where to place me equal of God but betrayal removed me. I am now in God’s realm, but I will not bow. I am the Supreme Leader and will remain do even in death.”

Dante heard the rantings of the soul with the face downwards to the ground. He went to his knees to offer the prayer of salvation.

“Why do you kneel, stranger? I did not ask for you to do so unless you do it because I am the Supreme Leader.”

“I am offering salvation prayers, for ---” Dante was stopped by Virgil who cut in.

“The soul here salutes you, Mr. Supreme Leader. You are the Supreme.” Virgil spoke to the soul there. Dante turned to look at Virgil.

“Leave me, all of you. I wished to be alone. I don’t need anyone to be my servant for now. I have my team before but they were imprisoned and some escape for I was told. Their whereabouts are unknown but you stay on your trail and be gone.” Dante heard the so-named Supreme Leader. “If you see my aide, Sancho Paza. Get him to retrieve my book. Tell him Dante’s poems.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...