Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Dante VI Canto XIX Scene III C

 “I am the way into the city of woe,

I am the way into eternal pain,
I am the way to go among the lost.

Justice caused my high architect to move,
Divine omnipotence created me,
The highest wisdom, and the primal love.

Before me, there were no created things
But those that last forever—as do I.---”

“Abandon all hope you who enter here.” Dante completed it on the last line.

“No, mine was different. My realm held promises. Mine read as “Hold on to your hope you who comes with me.” I am every merciful. As death is merciful to a lifetime of torture. That was what the Empire offered to the states; a lifetime of torture without freedom. I offered freedom. I waged my war to eradicate that.”

Dante sat down on his rear haunches. Was he listening to a mad man who thinks his world was better? Dante knew in his mind, neither was perfect, for chaos in the realm needed some form of orders although some may be seen as draconian. His thoughts went back to the archive readings.

“Freedom is less about doing one’s will than about being subjected to that of others; it still consists in not submitting the will of others to ours “. (https://www.the-philosophy.com/rousseau-philosophy-summary).

The notion of freedom can be understood as synonymous with a total absence of constraints, obstacles to the desires of each and their realization. Freedom would then be synonymous with “license”. Now, to say yes to all that one may desire also the manifestation of a lack of freedom, of alienation, to be a slave of one’s passions. Freedom presupposes constraints, limits, prohibitions because freedom is also that of others. But freedom presupposes limits, what are they? It involves a difficult game between the singular and the individual. Does not freedom for all presuppose a limit for everyone’s freedom? Is freedom than an illusion? (https://www.the-philosophy.com/freedom-in-philosophy).

“If you see my aide, Sancho Paza. Get him to retrieve my book. Tell him Dante’s poems. The word is Alagia. It’s the key.” The laid soul reminded Dante who was then motioned by Virgil to move. He did as instructed by the laid soul and some distance away, he asked Virgil.

“Why did you stop me?”

“The soul there is demented. He may be the Supreme Leader but still demented. If we told him of this place, he may go mad, or alert the Doctor of our whereabouts.” Virgil explained. “There was something else in his words. He as the Supreme Leader could have commissioned the program here, as his act of God but was sent here to serve it. It may need clarification but there are possibilities.”

“He may be right. He was ---” Dante was hushed by Virgil.

“We are to distance from judging or assumptions. We are to get through Purgatory here as in this version, and then we can question all the doubts later.”

“But---” Dante was to speak his mind as that was his as a poet but Virgil stopped him.

Poet, Freedom consists not so much in doing one’s will as in not being subjected to that of others; it still consists in not submitting the will of others to ours. That was also Rosseau's words.” Virgil said. “You are a living soul with a free will while I am a construct with set routines, and maybe some creative analytical tools but still restrained by the rules of the main program. Freedom will --- does not exist inside me. I am a construct to guide you and that will be my task.”

With that, Virgil moved on ahead side-stepping the laid souls there. He looked to the sun and saw it was setting. They need to find a place to rest the night. He turned to look at Dante who was lagging. There will be the silence that night.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...