Thursday, November 24, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Part 12

 12

The funeral pyre of the King was set ablaze by the Lords and the surviving royal family stepped back inside the castle. They adjourned to the hall and were surrounded by the Lords in attendance. There was the issue of the ascension of the new King.

“Silence, my Lords of the land.” Lord Vortigern took to address the gathered there. The three lads of the previous King were seated next to the throne. A few Lords glared at the request of Lord Vortigern but none dared to challenge him there. The duel with Lord Sebastian was still in their mind, and the errant Lord's carcass was dragged away.

“Give the young lads time to think. The passing of the King was sudden but his kingdom remained. We need to preserve it for the people. Stay vigilant and keep the raiders from our borders. A weak kingdom will fall. And I shall not allow that to happen now.” The last words of Lord Vortigern were seen by some as a self-proclamation.

The gathered was sent back to their castles and homes while the three siblings met Lord Vortigern in the hall.

“My young ones, you are all princes of the land. Your King lays dead and one of you is to be King.” Lord Vortigern looked at them. “Not me nor the other Lords, but yourselves. You are the bloodline of the King.”

“Constan ….” Lord Vortigern addressed the eldest and was cut off.

“I am not to be. I am not to be the new King. I am a monk now. I am at peace with my life.” Constan stated his stand. “Make Aurelius the new King. Or Uther.”

“I…” Aurelius was to speak but Lord Vortigern motioned him to stop. The Lord then looked at Constan.

“Constan, you are the eldest and by years ahead of them. More to it, you have ridden to battle and proven yourself.” Lord Vortigern stated the obvious.

“I had to kill…I had to take a life.” Constan uttered out. “It’s not mine to take. It’s God's will that can do that.”

“And it was God’s will that you take the life on his call.” Lord Vortigern affirmed the lad’s action.

“Blasphemy! Don’t poison his mind, Lord Vortigern.” It was Gildas who had intervened in the hall. Lord Vortigern turned to look at the approaching monk. He drew his dagger and leveled it toward the other.

“What is this, Lord Vortigern? Did God tell you to take my life? If it was true, do so now. Then I don’t have to witness this … blasphemy in God’s name.”

Lord Vortigern held his hand then. He looked at the dagger and was In deep thought.

“Father, I do not want to dirty my hands with more blood,” Constan spoke out then. “Let …”

Constan looked to his brothers and felt the guilt to pass on the responsibilities to them.

“You be the King, Lord Vortigern. You can do what is needed.” Constan looked to the Lord. “You defeated many of the King’s enemies. You can be King.”

“My son, the King can be without the blood calls. Remember my words m my son when we were in the chapel. “If the war cannot be averted, then we do what is needed. Many times, we will find ourselves, driven to the sea; the sea throws us back on the other thus, two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned.”

Lord Vortigern looked at the monk in disbelief.

“Without the king, the Lords will not be united and chaos will reign on the land. I have seen it myself, my abodes built for the faithful of God were destroyed when the order was not there. I have seen the King preventing this with his will to ensure peace reigned. He defended God’s subject from the …. Devils that inhibit those others.” Gildas looked at Cosntan. “My stay here showed me the workings of the King. As God had to send his Angels to battle the Fallen, it was inevitable to avoid more chaos.”

“I shall not kill.” Constan defended his faith.

“And you shall not kill and the Lords will not do so, unless…. It's needed. Remember my words again; we will find ourselves, driven to the sea; the sea throws us back on the other thus, two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned.”

“We may face the sea if there is no King.” Gildas sighed. “Man is created equal from the shoulder up, but our feet stand on different grounds. There is no perfection to all of God’s creatures. He gave us a journey with the choices and our path will be judged at the end.”

“Would the repentance of our sins be a choice for us?” Constan asked then.

“It’s but the acceptance of it must come from our soul and not our voice.” Gildas looked at Lord Vortigern. “There must be no other motives.”

Gildas then took to leave the hall, At the end of the day, the voices herald the new King to the kingdom.

“Hail King Constan!” The new King had the crown placed on his head with his trusted Lords by his side, led by Lord Vortigern, The latter met the monk during the late night, at the castle ground.

“Why did …”

“I did nothing more than to advise the King. He is young and the kingdom needed a better person to be King.” Gildas looked at Lord Vortigern.

“Are you indicating that I …”

“Lord Vortigern, I am not here to listen to your confessions. I will leave it to God to do that.” Gildas interjected on the Lord. “Stay by his side and do your duty as Lord. He is still young. One day, he may ask you for your confessions. He is still a monk in the faith.”

 

 


 

13

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...