Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Part 10

 10

“The King is dead.” That was the call on the land. It was soon after one season upon the arrival of Lord Vortigern to the castle. It was a bleak cold season, and the people were in need of the grains with the stockade running low on the supply. The previous season was hailed as good with the raiders at the borders curtailed. Lord Vortigern was hailed as the hero by the people upon his return, and was met by the King himself at the castle steps.

“My King, are you unwell?” Lord Vortigern had asked the King who appeared in the simple frock and tassel at the waist. The monk named Gildas stood by the King on the right. He had then looked at the monk for any indication.

“I am fine, Lord Vortigern. It’s the sign of age and more to it, I am now a monk. I have abstained from the vices of Man and chose to live a life of simple means.” King Constantine motioned to the monk next to him.

“Gildas here guide me to the spiritual needs of my soul but I am still King.” That last word he roared out to the delight of the gathered except for Lord Vortigern.

“I hear you were victorious again. I was told of the feat of my son, Constan who fought alongside you. It was also said that he killed the Chief with a merciful blow.” Obviously, words that reached the King was toned by someone closer to him then.

“Yes, my King. Constan had shown much of yourself when you were younger. He will do well in his … coming growth.” Lord Vortigern minced his words.

“I heard of the death of Lord Cecil. How did he die?” The King asked.

“I am unsure for he was found by the woodsmen. They had claimed his body was ravaged by the wolves or bears. His guards were not found. I called for the search for the guards but it was to no avail. They could had killed him but it was unproven.”

“Sad but this is life retribution. Amy his soul rest in peace.” The King bowed his head in prayer and soon after raised his head. “You are alive and well. That calls for a celebration. We will begin now with the preparation and it will be worthy of your victory.”

The celebration of the victory was a grand feast that took three days and nights of joyous drinking and meals. The King had Lord Vortigern shared his table laden with the food and drinks, but the King was feeding himself wine and plain bread.

“My King, would you not take some of the offerings here? I am ….” Lord Vortigern looked to the King.

“I am fine, Lord Vortigern. I have taken to the simple needs of the meal daily now. I named it the daily bread to fill my soul;” King Constantine laughed when he mentioned that. “Vortigern, please share with us the younger days when we roamed the land. I am sure many of us won’t be bored to hear it from you.”

It was an invitation that Lord Vortigern can refused. He took to the floor and related the tales of the past. He spared no details; sordid or distasteful; or the savagery of the fights then. He glanced at the King on occasion and saw the former was listening with his lips mumbling.

Soon at the late hours upon the retirement of the King, Lord Vortigern searched out Gildas. He found the monk in the chapel.

“Monk, what had you done to the King during my absence?” Lord Vortigern confronted the monk.

“I did nothing that was not needed. I merely guide him to the path of seeking his repentance with God. He done it all by himself and now he sleeps well in the dark.” Gildas replied to the Lord.

“You poisoned him with your words and what you call God.”

“Beware of your words, Lord Vortigern. “You are in the chamber with God now. He watches over us here.”

“I do not believe in your God. Mine is the hilt of my sword.” Lord Vortigern spat out. “You poisoned my King.”

“I did not, and you are unwise with your words. Your body is intoxicated. I will suggest you leave and sleep it over.” Gildas told the Lord. “The rest will do you good.”

“I ought to kill you here.” Lord Vortigern reached for his sword but held from drawing it out.

“You can do it but you won’t. You need a new King. And you are not one….not yet.” Gildas said to the Lord. “The King is going to die soon. He is weakened inside of him by raging ailments. No healers can help him now except to return to the side of God.”

“I…” Lord Vortigern held back his anger and stormed off from the chapel. Gildas followed to the door and closed it. He then looked at the altar.

“You may come out now, my son. He is gone.” From the corner of the chamber, Constan appeared he was missing from the hall and was assumed to rest at his chamber. He was still dressed in the battle suit and approached the monk. He went down on one knee and bowed to the monk.

“Forgive me, Father. I have sinned. I killed a man.” Constan confessed to the monk.

“You did that to offer the other a merciful death. It's not called killing. It’s an act of mercy, as we slaughter the chicken before we plucked its feathers.” Gildas assured the young lad.

“Father, I do not want to be King. I will kill others if I am one.” Constan spoke out from his heart.

“Son, much as I disagreed with this manner of living, we are at times pressed to do the needed,” Gildas replied. “If the war cannot be averted, then we do what is needed. Many times, we will find ourselves, driven to the sea; the sea throws us back on the other thus, two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned.”

“Be the King that can avert these killings then you won’t have to choose,” Gildas told the lad but he declined.

“I have decided to live my life in the monastery. I will be a monk like yourself.” Constan left the chapel leaving the elderly monk lost for words. Constan left for the monastery where his father had done the vile killing. He pledged his life there’ living a simple living.

“You are the bastard that took my… him away from his father.” Lord Vortigern confronted Gildas in front the of King.

“I did not. It was his will that he becomes one with God.” Gildas defended himself. It was the King who appease the duo of their argument.

“My Lord, and my adviser. I beseech the two of you to calm down. Constan needed to be….humble and the lessons of the monastery will be good for him. He may just yet return to my side and be King. God will assist him in the correct path.”

“As for you, Lord Vortigern. While peace reigned on the land, I will give the time to rest and recuperate. Find yourself a lady to the altar and bore you great sons.” The King told him.

“I am … grateful for your concern and also the blessing. I shall take your words to heart.” Lord Vortigern smiled.

“Then it's settled. Call me my other sons. I need to talk to them.” The King called out. When the argument had ended between the Lord and the monk, Lord Vortigern took his leave of the King. He was upset but felt that the events unfolding was to be given time.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...