Sunday, November 20, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Part 9

 9

“I am glad that you removed the Chieftain Caer. He was a challenge to us too.” Lord Vortigern had ridden a distance to the hidden treesin the forest to meet an ally of his. If he was seen by the other Lords, he will be branded a traitor and reported to the King. He had dismounted and stood waiting. His intended visitor soon arrived on the mount who also dismounted to meet him.

“Hengist, you are also a challenge to me.” Lord Vortigern replied to the Anglo-Saxon Chief whom he met there at the forest.

Hengist is one of the younger clan chiefs from the Anglo Saxon who resides to the northern west. They are more aggressive to expand their land and the move was to move south onto Brittany. The Anglo Saxons are no allies of Brittany. their origins to settlers who came to Britain from mainland Europe in the 5th century. However, the ethnogenesis of the Anglo-Saxons happened within Britain, and the identity was not merely imported. Anglo-Saxon identity arose from interaction between incoming groups from several Germanic tribes, both amongst themselves, and with indigenous Britons. Many of the natives, over time, adopted Anglo-Saxon culture and language and were assimilated. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons)

“I am no challenge to your army.” Hengist declared himself as subservient in strength. He was the same height as Vortigern with a younger frame. He was dressed in the coat of furs over the tunic and held a battle axe in his right hand.

“You hide your strength well, Hengist. Just as you did with your men hidden behind the tree trunks around us.” Lord Vortigern stated that the Anglo-Saxon chief. “After all, our liaison in secret, you still harbour dis-trust on me.”

“I am very careful but the men are to protect me should we be confronted by our enemies. I am young and some claimed me to be reckless in my pursuit, I do take precautions to my safety and yours too.” Hengist smiled

“How fare your King? Is he dead or raving mad from his sins? He is a believer of the Book unlike us. We are worshippers of the pagan gods as claimed by your monks.” Hengist mocked the King.

“The King is well. He thanked you for your concern.” Lord Vortigern then moved to speak on the subject that drew him there.

“The death of Chief Caer ends another of your rivals. I believe you will not take his place.” Lord Vortigern directed it to the other. “We have an understanding that you may will remain at your borders.”

“I will do so, and will wait your tributes of harvest during the cold season.” Hengist added to that. “I am not reckless.”

“How fare Horsa? He was seen at the borders by my scouts.” Lord Vortigern asked of Hengist’s sibling who was raiding at the farms there. “From the last full moon, he was seen there.”

“The insufferable sibling of mine…. He held his own head on the matter. I will see to that he is restrained lest he ….”

“Dies by my sword.” Lord Vortigern made known his intention. “Our matter concludes and I will ride back to the castle. I do not want to be back here for another few seasons or our understanding will be misunderstood.”

Hengist mounted his horse and left the area, while Lord Vortigern stood there. He looked to the trees and felt the peace in his mind. He was the Lord under King Constantine; and his responsibility covers the King to the land. He has to quell any rebellion and at the same time, worked with the King’s demands. It was fine initially, but the tolls of the responsibilities were heavy on him. He held no family of his own; a child left in the battlefield and raised by the warrior who found him. All his years of growing was to learn the skills of fighting and later do the battles. His list of sins was longer than that of the King but none of it was witnessed by others, or if they were, they end up dead. At that age, he was tired of the battles and sought peace with his adversaries unless they betrayed him.

Lord Vortigern was interrupted by the arrival of Lord Anvil. He was keeping surveillance at the nearby forest with the guards. He rode in with them and was accompanied with one other.

Lord Cecil.

“We found him tailing you, my Lord.” Lord Anvil motioned to the guards to send forth their captive, the Lord Cecil. The latter protested on the chains but was silenced when he faced Lord Vortigern. He was brough down from his horse.

“Lord Cecil, I saved your read end from the raiders and you reward me with your intrusion to my end.” Lord Vortigern looked at the frightened Lord.

“I was looking… I saw you nearby and rode to meet you. I did not see anyone else with you.” Lord Cecil said in his defence. “I was to ride back when I was captured by Lord Anvil here. He killed my guards.”

“You would not have seen anyone here for I was in with the forest nymphs. Since you arrive, the have dispersed and I am left alone. Do you know how it feels to be standing alone with a raging need?”

Lord Cecil kept silence while the other spoke on.

“If you were a nymph, perhaps you may settle my lust but …. I do confess, I find your chamber pit revolting.” Lord Vortigern looked at the other. “Secured him to the tree trunk. Shaft a branch there and let the blood flow to bring the predators.”

“Mercy, my Lord. I have not done anything wrong.” Lord Cecil pleaded and was cut off by the piece of the torn legging into his mouth. Lord Vortigern mounted his horse to ride back to the camp, with his mind on Constan.

“Are you as good as your father, my adopted son?” Lord Vortigern asked himself.

 

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...