Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Part 3

 3

Matthew of Cornwall looked at the two friars who were then scared stiff by the narrative of the former. He could see the one named Tuck was shuffling on his seat while Percival was averting his gazes away. He then picked up the jug and noticed it was empty.

“Owner, please refill the jug. My friends here need a drink.”

“We ought to leave now, Tuck.” Percival had motioned to the other. “The Abbot will be calling for us.”

“Please stay longer.” Matthew looked at Tuck. “My tale has yet to end.”

“I am sorry, Sir. We are pressed for time to be there before the evening bell rings.” Percival gave the excuse to leave but was stopped by Matthew.

“It’s the ending that you need to hear. As God is my witness, it will be worth your while.” Matthew insisted. He then continued his narration.

“King Constantine prevailed on with his realm. His pain or rather his sin was …he did kill the two boys… with his bare hands.” Matthew reached for the dagger at his waist belt to place it on the table.  His action frightened the two friars.

“Nay, he did not use his dagger. He had it on with him for he was the King. He needed some protection. He has enemies everywhere.” Matthew picked up his dagger. “I carried mine for I am a hunter. I hunt animals. I  supplied the meat to the tavern here and in other villages. The dagger allowed me to skin the carcass or to …. I do admit, protect myself against robbers who want to take my meat.”

Matthew had then pulled the dagger out of the sheath and tossed the sharpened weapon at the wall.

“I am also good at throwing it to kill at a distance.” Matthew laughed then. “Some of the hunts can be decisive with a deadly throw.”

“We ought to go, Sir.” Percival pressed on the urgency. “The evening ….”

“Pardon me diverting the tale. Yes, I was talking of the killing.” Matthew sighed. It was then Mary of the maid brought over the jug.”Thank you, my lovely lass.”

Matthew had reached out his right hand to pat the maid on her rear. That was seen by Turk and annoyed him, but he was not pressing on for any conflict with the hunter.

“Stay your meaty hand, Sir. I am a decent lady.” Mary quipped back at the other.

“You are a decent lady and I promised you a meaty hand soon tonight.” Matthew roared gleefully. It irk Turk then but the glare of Percival stayed in his hands.

“I was to tell you that the King was hurt by the killing. Do you know the King has three sons of his own? They were of the same age as those two others. They used to play in the castle; running and jumping all around.”

“Sir…” Percival tried to leave again but was motioned by Matthew to remain seated.

‘”Constan, Aurelius and …Uther were their names. God knows who their mothers were. Constan was much older.” Matthew roared out in laughter again. “He could not remember who he bedded when and where. He was an amorous King. None of the ladies in waiting was safe from his reach.”

“Sir, I begged…” Percival was one more ignored.

“Yes, I heard you. Soon, my dear friend. It’s not often I get to tell a tale. Let me finish it.” Matthew looked at Turk then. “The King does as he liked.”

“But he did dislike his sin…it was a grave sin. He sees the dead boys on his own. He sought the help of God but the stain was too great to be cleaned. But there was one who prayed for him. He was a monk named Gilad… no… it was Gildas.”

“Have you met Gildas?” Matthew looked at Turk and then Percival. “Well. I had. He was always in court with the King.”

“Sir, are you a Lord too?” Turk asked.

“Me? I … Wait Gildas was there. He prayed for the King. He asked the King to repent his sins. The King …you may know he is the King. He’s so busy. The land is always at war. The Picts, the Saxons, or the bandits. The King needed to be on guard for his subjects, his Lords, and his land.”

“He was like me. My hands are constantly with the blood of the kills. I will need to reach in and pull the innards, the parts that are in there next to the ribs.” Matthew looked toward his hands. “Messy but needed to be done. The King does it too but they are his enemies.”

“My King…” Percival assumes that Matthew is the King.

“Me, I am not the King. I am just….the Lord. I am Lord Vortigern.” Matthew smiled. “When I am not the hunter named Matthew but I do hunt. Maybe nowadays mostly Saxons.”

“I…” It was Turk’s time to be surprised.

“Are you Saxons?” Lord Vortigern asked.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...